REFUNDABLE vs NON-REFUNDABLE FARE STICKER SHOCK 😲😮😯😱🤯

Priced what was a great deal to me for Anthem out of NJ where we live.  Grand Suite, family of 4, all in price around 6900 for Thanksgiving week 2023. Given all the craziness we have witnessed the past 2 years, I reached out to my TA to price the itinerary as a refundable fare.  She came back with a price of over $10k!!!!.  Same suite,, same room etc..  So an over $3K premium for the "privelage" of getting my $1k deposit back if we cancel.  That's insane to me. Side note we were booked on the same itinerary April 2020, we were part of the first cancellations in that Mid March 2020.  So seems like it is just not meant to be for us

As much as we have enjoyed many cruises, I suspect  it is time for us close this chapter and move on to some other types of vacations.  Maybe I am just being dramatic lol. But between the outrageous pricing IMO, the vaccine mandates, questionable ability to get a refund, risk of quarantine or failing a pre-boarding Covid test, I think it's time for me to give up.  Maybe we will try a few years from now when I am over the sticker shot and things are a bit more normal and predictable.   From my seat seems a bit outrageous but to each is own.  

Rant over lol.  

I thought that non refundable wasn't available for suites, did they change something recently?

8. Why was the decision made to enforce only non-refundable deposit fare options for Suite inventory (specifically Grand Suite or higher) and Guarantee categories?
In an effort to preserve our valued Suite inventory and to ensure availability for our committed guests, a non-refundable deposit will become the only option for those guests interested in reserving an upper Suite.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056800_Nonrefundable_FAQ_News.pdf

6 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

I thought that non refundable wasn't available for suites, did they change something recently?

8. Why was the decision made to enforce only non-refundable deposit fare options for Suite inventory (specifically Grand Suite or higher) and Guarantee categories?
In an effort to preserve our valued Suite inventory and to ensure availability for our committed guests, a non-refundable deposit will become the only option for those guests interested in reserving an upper Suite.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056800_Nonrefundable_FAQ_News.pdf

It's not available, you can just click on it from the TA site. I would never book it refundable because it's not allowed. 

I was just coming here to post that FAQ too!

On 3/6/2022 at 4:48 PM, Sharla said:

It's not available, you can just click on it from the TA site. I would never book it refundable because it's not allowed. 

I was just coming here to post that FAQ too!

I booked a Dec 2023 cruise through an RCCL rep last night and he assured me that our full suite deposit is fully refundable until the date of final payment (I normally don’t care so much but this one was more than a year and a half from now so I wanted to be sure). It is confusing that  he would tell us that if suites never have a refundable deposit 🙁 At least a FCC is an option 👍🏼

Addendum - we have a Panoramic Family Suite (VP) for Dec 2023 and luckily the deposit is refundable although it was changed to a full suite 2.5 or so years back. Whew!

16 hours ago, Sharla said:

Yes the VP is the highest category that can be booked refundable. I can't wait to hear @Neesa's review later this year!

It’s almost like when they made it a full suite they neglected to throw it into the nonrefundable, which is fine with me since all other full suites are not. We were in it for my husband’s 60th BD the Nov before the shutdown and decided to get it for Christmas 2023. The only real downside is the small bathroom with the bullet shower, tall people don’t do well in those things 😂 Otherwise we quite enjoyed the view!