Porting in Maui

We will be porting in Maui Hawaii on October 10, 2022. The Lahaina port calendar  says the Quantum ports on that day there so I am assuming that is the correct port to schedule any excursions. We are there 2 days, overnight of the 10th. Anyone sailed and ported there overnight? If so could you come and go as you wished? Did it require tender ever? We are looking at doing a sunrise tour that would require leaving the ship around 230 AM. TIA

• 3 months later...

It is a tender port.  You can read about my day on Ovation at Maui (Lahaina) back in 2019 in this trip blog:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/15665-ovation-goes-south-to-hawaii-sept-20-2019/&do=findComment&comment=159689

Basically the ship has some lifeboats that are designed to be tenders as well as lifeboats.  Back in 2019 during daylight hours the tender process used the ship tenders then in the evening and for the overnight shift they contracted with a local company to perform the tender operations using boats belonging to that company so that crew can rest.  The overnight tender was less frequent (hourly) given the lower demand but it did operate continuously overnight.  

Here are some thoughts:

The local excursion boat that does the overnight tendering is one boat that runs continuously back & forth.  The process of unloading at the dock, loading at the dock, then boating to the ship where they unload, then load, then boat back to the dock takes about an hour.  That isn't clockwork where they launch at precise times, it all depends how many guests at that moment and the time it takes to load and unload them.  If there were a dozen accessibility guests that take longer to load and unload that could make one cycle longer than the next.  At times there will be enough guests that it exceeds the capacity of that boat so it can result in waiting for the cycle to complete and catching the next operation an hour later.   That happened to me coming back at 9:45pm when, as it turned out, other excursions were also coming back.  After a long day we all just wanted to get back to the ship but we had to wait for the next cycle.

In your case if there are hundreds of guests with similar plans there could be a sudden surge in demand at 2am and it could briefly impact the tender capacity for one cycle causing a wait for the cycle to repeat.   No one wants to lose an extra hour of sleep but I wouldn't make plans like going down to tender minutes before the tender time needed to just make your excursion.  It might be worth getting in line early to ensure you make that tender but then again I didn't ride the tender at 2am so I don't know if there were spikes in demand in the wee hours of the morning.