Fort Lauderdale Car or Uber?

bsbrady

Uber and Lyft are both prominent and quite reasonable (compared to cabs) in South Florida.  I'd consider going that route, as depending on where you head, parking on South Florida can be a bit of a pain.  If your hotel charges you for parking then it's a slam dunk in my opinion.

On the flip side, renting cars in Florida is very inexpensive - I often rent cars for the weekend (long drives) and I live here, but for $30-40 I can put the wear and tear on someone else's vehicle.  The downside to this compared to Uber though (beyond parking and such) is that you end up losing time on vacation to pick up and drop off a car.

I'm having this dilemma, too, as I'll be there over NYE and rental prices are expensive. Thus we were going to use Uber until decided to see Billy Joel on NYE. With surge pricing, I'm thinking it may be better just to rent a car out of convenience. Taxi would be another option without surge pricing, but finding one on NYE after a concert might not be an easy thing.

I'm having this dilemma, too, as I'll be there over NYE and rental prices are expensive. Thus we were going to use Uber until decided to see Billy Joel on NYE. With surge pricing, I'm thinking it may be better just to rent a car out of convenience. Taxi would be another option without surge pricing, but finding one on NYE after a concert might not be an easy thing.

For peak times like this I'd consider a car service.  It will cost a bit more, but you know the score.  I noticed that at least around here (between Ft lauderdale and WPB) Lyft now let's you pre-schedule rides, though I'm not sure how far out.  Perhaps that's something you could try.

For peak times like this I'd consider a car service. It will cost a bit more, but you know the score. I noticed that at least around here (between Ft lauderdale and WPB) Lyft now let's you pre-schedule rides, though I'm not sure how far out. Perhaps that's something you could try.

I found a solution after I posted this. By only renting the car for one day, NYE night, the city of the rental dropped from $170 to under $50. I've decided to just return the car the night before or cruise on the Allure. The benefit is the hotel offers a shuttle to get me back from the airport and I now don't need to deal with returning the car on embarkation morning.

I think the answer depends on the price of rental cars. As Billy said, it can be quite inexpensive to rent a car in Florida (yay competition), so if the price is right, having your own car with the conveniences that come with it are quite nice.  If it were me, and the price to rent a car was reasonable, I would probably choose that..unless your plans are to booze it up quite often, which makes driving unpractical.

Even a budget hotel is expensive in Fort Lauderdale this time of year. A friend of mine who drives to that port stays farther north about an hour or so driving time but if you want to be closer Id look at hotels in Plantation. They are cheaper since they are inland, west of Fort Lauderdale, but still just a short drive to the port.

We are driving down from Orlando on the morning of our cruise.  I plan to drop off part of the group and all the bags and then return the car to the FLL rental center.  Opinions on the best way back, taxi or Uber?The cost doesn't concern me as much as the ease and quickness.  They have a free shuttle back but my experience is that the frequency is inconsistent and, with so many ships on port, it could take a while to get to ours.

We are driving down from Orlando on the morning of our cruise.  I plan to drop off part of the group and all the bags and then return the car to the FLL rental center.  Opinions on the best way back, taxi or Uber?The cost doesn't concern me as much as the ease and quickness.  They have a free shuttle back but my experience is that the frequency is inconsistent and, with so many ships on port, it could take a while to get to ours.

If cost doesn't matter, unless there is a cab sitting there, I'd say Uber.  I've never been a fan of our taxis in South Florida.  Not only overpriced, but not as available as you'd expect.  Even in the suburbs in Dade/Broward/Palm Beach you can now get Uber or Lyft (check both!) within 5 mins, often much more quickly than that.