Wild Mushroom Soup

PG Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They served the Mushroom Soup on the Adventure of the Seas in the WIndjammer on the first night of our cruise last week. I spent the rest of the cruise trying to get another serving of that soup and did not find it again. Looked in the main dining room and the Windjammer Cafe every night and never saw it again. It was some of the best soup I have ever eaten. Would love to have the recipe for it.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, VBmom87 said:

On Oasis right now. I have been dying to get the soup at Chops since before COVID. So disappointed. It is NOT the same. It was fine, but not nearly as good. It was dark brown instead, and no mushroom garnish. It's like they tried a new recipe.

Not surprising. Looks like RC is wanting to cut corners in various places lately if the new MDR is any indication.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this out of one of the Royal Cookbooks

Forest Mushroom Soup

3T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 clove Garlic ;  peeled & chopped                                                     Garnish

2 medium Yellow Onion ; peeled & chopped                         4 oz Enoki Mushrooms

10 oz Crimini Mushrooms                                                       3 T. White Truffle Oil

10 oz. Button Mushrooms

10 oz. small Portabella Mushrooms or 2 large mushrooms

2 large Idaho Potatoes ; peeled and thickly sliced

1 spring Thyme

1 Bay leaf

1/2 c. Dry White Wine

1 quart Vegetable Broth/Stock

Salt and fresh ground Pepper

1/4 c. Heavy Cream

In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm oil and saute garlic and onions for 4 minutes.

Add mushrooms, potatoes, herbs sauting for 5 minutes, allowing potatoes to begin to caramelize.

Deglaze with the wine and add veg. stock.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 min. or until potatoes are soft to the touch.

Season with salt and pepper.

In batches; transfer mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth.

Put in clean saucepan; add heavy cream and mix well.

Ladle into warm soup bowls, garnish with Enoki mushrooms and a drizzle of Truffle oil.

Serves 6

Served in Chops Grill

• 2 months later...

Good Day to everyone, I am new here, but this is one topic I felt I needed to weigh in on…
We (the family) took our vacation on RC for the first time(cruise many times in the past just not on RC), and we were excited for the RC experience. As we were boarding on the departure day, one of the crew  stopped us as we were in line to get on the boat. The Crew member was offering packages to us from Picture packages to dining room discounts (and their ever famous Coffee drink package), So after listening to their spiel we decided on the drink package (10% off the list price) and Dinner in the Chops Restaurant(20% off list price to eat on the first night).

Side Note: If you plan to do something offered by the ship, look for those crew members, or go to the room/office for that specific service/food. Ask the attendee if they have any specials for the first day of the cruise. You can ask if they have any specials. especially if you do not plan on getting off the boat when in port, you can get some really good discounts. 

It was about dinner time on the first night ( it was also my Birthday), we arrived at our reservation time, and were seated immediately. This restaurant was reminiscent of Ruth's Chris Steak House back home, with the dark décor. After the introductions and drink orders were taken, We start looking over the menu and right off the bat I saw the Mushroom soup and became almost fixated on the soup ( trying New things on cruises was a must growing up from my dad). Actually on my very first cruise I took as a child is where I found my love of soups to be wonderful and others would not be my first choice as a last meal… Now I am not sure what I ate for the other courses, I know I ate a salad and appetizer and I think I got the Filet as my meal. 

I was so taken by the flavors and complexity of the soup that I ordered another one for dessert!!  We finished the cruise and made our way back home. I could not get the flavors out of my mind, and told anyone who would listen about the RC mushroom soup. 

We booked  our next cruise a year or so later and I was so excited to get the soup that I could not stop talking about it. I again got a discount for the first night at chops ( we are not talking about an expensive meal at $20 per person+10% or 15%discount for dining on a slow night). This was the trip I was going to pig out on this soup. On the First night dinner I ordered soup as my in between courses, course. So if you are keeping track, that would be ( getting soup delivered between all courses) Soup, Soup, Salad, Soup, Appetizer, Soup, Meal, Soup, Desert, Soup.  wanted to get soup in a geaux cup but my wife said no more( telling me that the boat was the only thing that should be floating. 

Not able to get the soup of my mind, I convinced the group (the people we were in the ship with) to return one more night before we disembarked for home. The second night (day 4 of a 7 day cruise) I ordered my soup in moderation from the last time. Instead of ordering the soup 6 times I cut it down to 3.

On the Last night of the cruise, eating in the dining room I just wanted nothing but soup. The Maître d stopped at our table and asked if there was anything she could get for us. Before my wife had a chance to answer,  I blurted out Mushroom Soup from Chop’s. I began to tell her  about my love for this soup. She told me she would look into it, as they normally do not bring food from other restaurants. Disappointedly I went back to my meal, as she walked away. Now I was sure that I had to wait until our next cruise to taste the sweet nectar of the RC!! 

Just about the time we finished with our meal the waiter came with what I thought was desert. To my surprise he sits down, not one but two bowls of mushroom soup!!!! Elated, I thanked him and started in on the best dessert ever!!! Just about the time I was scraping the bottom of the first bowl, the Maître d stopped back by and asked if I was enjoying my soup. As I persisted to tell her my saga of the RC Mushroom Soup, a man dressed in Chef Whites, walked up behind her. I told her I wish I could eat this daily, when she turned to  introduce the person  In his Chef Whites, as the Soup Chef. He asked what I liked about the soup? I persisted to tell him the short version of the story. Pleased with my answer he handed me a piece of paper… 

On the Printed paper was the Recipe for the RC “Forest Mushroom Soup Scented with White Truffle Oil”!!! Dumbfounded, my wife had never seen me without anything to say, I stuttered to find the words I was only able to get out a choking THANK YOU!!!!

I was so impressed that the Soup Chef took time out from the busiest time of the day to make my year!! I slowly folded the Paper and put it in the most secure place I had to me at the time, the room safe with the passports and other things we needed to keep safe.

The whole way home I talked about the ability to make this soup any time I wanted to. We arrived home and I really looked at the recipe, as I was afraid that if someone knew about it I would have it taken from me. This is when I noticed the quantities of the ingredients… 4 gallons of Cream, 21 lb of Mushrooms, wtf, was this for feeding bigfoot or an army? This is when I realized (with the help of my wife), this was the Ship size portion and was what they had to make for the ship per day.

Just about 5 months after we took that cruise, I lost my battle with Kidney Disease, and was required to start Dialysis. Because of Dialysis, I have not been able to cruise due to the cost and limited availability of the “dialysis at sea” program. That was just about 6 years ago, and I can no longer remember the taste of the soup. I think about finding a recipe that is close to the Super Sized Bowl version that was so graciously given to me. Every so often I would do a search online hoping I could find something with similar ingredients, to no avail. Now it did not help. I was not calling it by the soup name, I just searched for RC mushroom soup, this did not bode well for my search, as none of the recipes I stumbled upon, were ever close to the list of ingredients in the recipe I was given. 

Yesterday while looking through some “Important Documents” I came across the recipe. Thinking to myself I am going to break down this to a manageable amount of ingredients to serve about 4. This is when ( looking up Mushroom types and where to get them), I came across this post. I was so happy that I finally found a post on the soup I loved so much. I hope you will cherish the Recipe I am sharing with you, and may help me break down the mounts to a manageable amount..

Please enjoy the gift I was given and enjoy it!!!!!

Mushroom soup.png

1 hour ago, barjpoe said:

Did you see the post a few people back. (date January 14) I posted the recipe in  manageable quantities. Enjoy😃

I did See it and the one they posted was slightly different ingrediencies, which is why I wanted to Show the actual paper I was given on my last cruise (which was 6 years ago because of Dialysis)   I am currently working on getting it down to a manageable size and where you can get/order any of the ingrediency that might be difficult fine in your area. I appreciate your response and I just like most of the people on this blog, Love this soup so much that I have planed vacations on if I can get this soup. 

I will update my post with manageable ingrediency a soon as I get them figured, Ordered, maid, and tasted.

So, I imported the recipe into Recipe Keeper and used its conversion capability to reduce it to 1/8 serving size and this is what I got back. Looks reasonable. Unfortunately, I don't know how much a "tub" of mushroom base is, but they do sell small jars of Mushroom base in grocery stores. You could follow the directions on that for a reasonable comparison. You could also potentially half /this/ set of ingredients if this is still too much, but i think this would make a decent-sized pot of soup.

EDIT:

Wow, think I found the tub, actually.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MINOR-S-Mushroom-Base-16-oz-Tub/345967092

$104 bucks for a 16 oz tub. Must be pretty potent stuff!

3 hours ago, 20watts said:

I did See it and the one they posted was slightly different ingrediencies, which is why I wanted to Show the actual paper I was given on my last cruise (which was 6 years ago because of Dialysis)   I am currently working on getting it down to a manageable size and where you can get/order any of the ingrediency that might be difficult fine in your area. I appreciate your response and I just like most of the people on this blog, Love this soup so much that I have planed vacations on if I can get this soup. 

I will update my post with manageable ingrediency a soon as I get them figured, Ordered, maid, and tasted.

image.png