Off/ on ship at ports of call

Can someone tell me if we HAVE to get off the ship at a certain time if we want to go to the ports of call and do we have to wait until a certain time to get back on the boat? I'm just wondering if decide we would like to board the ship earlier than the boarding time, can we? Like if we're tired of walking around the beach, or want to enjoy the quieter times on the boat while most cruisers are off it. Since this is my first cruise, I'm not sure how this all works. Is it an "open door" policy where you can get off and on throughout the port day?

You can debark the ship in port whenever you like and come back whenever you like, as long as you're back on board by "all aboard" time.  It will be published in the Cruise Compass that comes the night before - make sure your watch/phone is set to "ship time", which may not be the same as port time.

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

You can debark the ship in port whenever you like and come back whenever you like, as long as you're back on board by "all aboard" time.  It will be published in the Cruise Compass that comes the night before - make sure your watch/phone is set to "ship time", which may not be the same as port time.

And be careful of your phone’s clock ……. Your phone will auto change the time to the time zone of the port …… most times the ship time stays in the time zone of the city you left from ……. If you aren’t very careful with that, you can miss the ship 

Yep, it's totally like an open door policy. You can, and I totally have, stepped out the ship to feel dry land for like ten minutes and turn back around and get back on the ship. If you are in a port all day you can also get off early, get on for lunch or to relax, and get back off. Like the above comment says, just make sure to get back on board on time!

Also note that it takes to get on and off the ship. When you first dock everyone is usually scrambling to get off ASAP and there might be a little line. Sometimes they prioritize guests who booked excursions with the ship. Also, you should really give yourself 15-30 minutes to get back on the ship again at the port. You have to go through security and show your room key and it can get backed up. This is especially true on ships that have to tender into the ports. This means the ship drops its anchors off the coast and you take smaller tender boats to the dock. This is a bit of a process since you have to wait for the tenders, board them, and sail over to the ship. Personally, I like to plan that if the ship is leaving at 5:00, I would make sure I'm back at the dock by 4:30.

You don't HAVE to get off at any port,  except the last one, LOL (and that's always the hardest one). Yes, "open door" like you're asking. Come and go as you please. Just have your Sea Pass card with you at all times. As @SpeedNoodles, @ChrisK2793 and @ChanaChave said: it's up to you; keep an eye on ship time; and depending on what your plans are in port (excursions?), you don't always have to be first off the ship. Many frequent cruisers don't get off at all in the ports they've been to and enjoy time with the very reduced amount of people on board.  Granted, there are less things happening on board but if you want/like a more quiet environment and space, port stops are your time. Pools/hot tubs are empty and bar servers come around way more frequently. All that being said, it's nice to just explore the cruise port itself, pick up some souvenirs, maybe get a bite to eat, a few drinks and say you were there. 

• 1 year later...

Your Seapass card is scanned getting off and back onto the ship.  When you return you, and your bags, will go through security screening (x-ray).  In some ports there will be K-9s that may sniff, but they are the port security and usually at the end of the dock, not the ship security. (Cozumel is one).

1 hour ago, Spencer1 said:

Do you need ID as well, like a driver's license?  Or in my child's case, a birth certificate?

it’s a good rule of thumb to bring government ID with you especially when traveling in an international port. many places it is required, but important medical information (if any) might also be something you elect to bring along. 

never hurts to be prepared 💚 better to have it and not need it, than to need it and be without. 

I like to take my passport card and leave passport book and driver's license on ship. If it gets lost or stolen it's not as much of a hassle as getting a new driver's license or passport book. You can't use it to fly back to US but you should be able to get passport book from ship if needed and it doesn't have your address on it which I think is safer. I think anyone getting a passport should get the card with it.

15 hours ago, Spencer1 said:

Do you need ID as well, like a driver's license?  Or in my child's case, a birth certificate?

I always bring a photo ID.  It is always recommended on the ship's Cruise Compass (except for private islands like Coco Cay and Labadee).  I have only been asked to produce it once (Nassau). I don't have children, so someone else will have to chime in on that one.  

Note that in some tender ports, the ship will issue numbered tickets, tied to orderly boarding of the tenders.  Ticket numbers will be called in order.  Often times early shore excursions go first - and tender ports are time-consuming.  You may have less shore time than expected.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I always bring a photo ID.  It is always recommended on the ship's Cruise Compass (except for private islands like Coco Cay and Labadee).  I have only been asked to produce it once (Nassau). I don't have children, so someone else will have to chime in on that one.  

On my last sailing they said Adults needed a photo ID indicating that children probably do not.  I wasn't asked to see it at any of the ports.  We carry the passport card and have it for our minor as well.