Outdoor movie screen on Liberty

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That's not really something that can be fixed with passengers on board

Shoot, so I guess this won't be fixed by July.  We're still up in the air about which ship to book for our July cruise.  We were the most considering Liberty.  This isn't a deal breaker, but does factor into my decision, though.

We were on Liberty last week.  Screen not fixed, not likely to be fixed.  We were on Liberty exactly 2 years before (2nd to last cruise before Covid).  I'm putting together a doc on our trip.  I can tell you we had many similar issues onboard.  Same ship, but it really wasn't the same ship.  We had a really good time, but carp, some of this should have been fixed by now.  WiFi was terrible. Even for the crew.  Cards wouldn't scan "can I have your cabin number?".   We had the drink package, but I bet almost half of our drinks never hit our folio. Yesterday morning, their systems kept going down for disembarking in Galveston.  It took us almost an hour, and we had the "Key".  Others reported it took over 2 hours to get off the ship.  Ship needs a good refurbishment.

1 hour ago, Bill S said:

We were on Liberty last week.  Screen not fixed, not likely to be fixed.  We were on Liberty exactly 2 years before (2nd to last cruise before Covid).  I'm putting together a doc on our trip.  I can tell you we had many similar issues onboard.  Same ship, but it really wasn't the same ship.  We had a really good time, but carp, some of this should have been fixed by now.  WiFi was terrible. Even for the crew.  Cards wouldn't scan "can I have your cabin number?".   We had the drink package, but I bet almost half of our drinks never hit our folio. Yesterday morning, their systems kept going down for disembarking in Galveston.  It took us almost an hour, and we had the "Key".  Others reported it took over 2 hours to get off the ship.  Ship needs a good refurbishment.

Ouch🤔 we are scheduled for a B2B in Sep this year and taking our son's family with us on the 2nd week. Last time we were on the Liberty was in 2015, we were hoping to have an enjoyable cruise. if you get a chance please let me know when you get done with the doc, Thanks  Have a good evening

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Since a refurb seems unlikely before our cruise next June, I imagine Liberty will be an even worse by then.  I worry that if it sucks my family will think twice about another cruise in 2024 when we plan on taking a longer, more exotic trip.

Its a real mistake in my opinion for a company that needs repeat customers to let these ships fall into an embarrassing state or disrepair.  For a screen to be broke for over a year, there’s no excuse.

58 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

For a screen to be broke for over a year, there’s no excuse.

In my work industry we are being quoted delivery times 18 - 24 months for systems that would have been 30 - 60 days before the pandemic hit us.  It's dramatically impacting our plans and projects.  Technology projects have become a matter of what little steps can we do right now? ... Knowing the rest of the project won't get done for 18 to 24 months.  It's completely changed the way we do projects.  

So what can Royal do when there are no new jumbo screens available to replace it and the parts to fix it just are not available on planet earth?  Sneak over to a Carnival ship and steal a jumbo screen from them?  

There is an excuse even though not everyone will understand its completely out of their control.  

21 hours ago, Mark_A said:

I was on liberty in July - yes the screen was broken, but I would hardly say the ship was in a state of disarray.  It definitely could use a refurbishment, but its condition was fine to me and I still had a great time aboard.....

Glad to hear that feedback!  Thank you

23 hours ago, twangster said:

There is an excuse even though not everyone will understand its completely out of their control.  

It’s not “understanding” for me, it’s believing (or not) what the reason is.  Is is supply chain? Or is it lost revenue to take the vessel offline for a few days? We don’t know.  I work In a supply chain business, and while there are some lingering effects things have improved dramatically for us.  Could it be beyond their control? Sure.  There’s also a chance that it’s a choice made for economic reasons.

The big issue may not be supply chain but availability at all. This happened several years ago with a sports venue I work with. Their jumbo screens had parts that started to fail and when they contacted the company that supplied it found out that there were no parts available for repair, only scarce used parts that "hopefully" would work. They limped through the remainder of the season with a screen with missing areas and replaced the entire screen at the end of the season at a large unexpected cost. As specialty items with very small production there are not a lot of parts actually made and when the company or subcontractor completes their build there are no further parts available. Like ordering a replacement computer board for my 2009 laptop.

Could be supply chain. Can easily see it's what @CrznTxn said as I've experienced that scenario both at work and at home trying to get things fixed. Seeing the whole cruise industry got the beat down far beyond any other industry over the past few years, I will cut them some slack for a bit until they can get their feet back under them