Watches/Jewelry and Expensive clothes on ship?

Hey all,

Just some questions around this.  What do most do with watches and jewelry that we usually wear when going out or to nice restaurant, do you take it with or leave in the safe at home?  Same goes for designer clothes, afraid if something spills that dry cleaning would be difficult and time consuming on ship.  

Just curious as the numerous RCB videos I watched etc. doesn't address this.  

Excursions and on islands, I would lean on not wearing most either, which would potentially be in safe on cruise.

Thanks again in advance for responses.

22 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I wear a solid gold Rolex Submariner 24/7/365 ship or no ship and have never had a single issue. I only use the safe for wallet, cash and boarding documents. As for the clothing, I can’t really assist with that considering my standard issue outfit is Tshirt, shorts & flip flops. Sorry. 

Thanks for insight, assuming your watch is insured?  I never have insured any of mine, but yes I was thinking of wearing my submariner (stainless), as it's one of my more versatile pieces, but don't even like wearing it in water honestly.  

My attire will be similar, it's my wife and her bags I'm mainly concerned about.

52 minutes ago, MarkFamMan said:

Thanks for insight, assuming your watch is insured?  I never have insured any of mine, but yes I was thinking of wearing my submariner (stainless), as it's one of my more versatile pieces, but don't even like wearing it in water honestly.  

My attire will be similar, it's my wife and her bags I'm mainly concerned about.

My watch is not insured. I haven’t ever encountered a setting where I feel uncomfortable in the islands with the exception of a stop in Jamaica where it got a bit uncomfortable (still no issues). As for my wife’s bags they have always been left in the room without issue. 

I leave my expensive jewelry at home, including my wedding ring set, Diamond earrings and formal jewelry. I have nothing to prove to anyone on the ship or in ports and I skip the worrying about them being lost (although I do take my wedding rings occasionally). I cannot imagine putting enough money into an item of clothing  that I would be upset if they were ruined so I can’t speak to that part.

12 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

I leave my expensive jewelry at home, including my wedding ring set, Diamond earrings and formal jewelry. I have nothing to prove to anyone on the ship or in ports and I skip the worrying about them being lost (although I do take my wedding rings occasionally). I cannot imagine putting enough money into an item of clothing  that I would be upset if they were ruined so I can’t speak to that part.

I think it’s more about separation anxiety then it is attempting to impress anyone. Watch enthusiasts (especially Rolex collectors) are very passionate and enjoy wearing their watches. I get that part, but not the clothing at all. 

33 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I think it’s more about separation anxiety then it is attempting to impress anyone. Watch enthusiasts (especially Rolex collectors) are very passionate and enjoy wearing their watches. I get that part, but not the clothing at all. 

Okay, you know that telling a mental health professional that you have separation anxiety from your Uber expensive watch is potentially dangerous?! 😂😂 J/K

5 hours ago, MarkFamMan said:

Hey all,

Just some questions around this.  What do most do with watches and jewelry that we usually wear when going out or to nice restaurant, do you take it with or leave in the safe at home?  Same goes for designer clothes, afraid if something spills that dry cleaning would be difficult and time consuming on ship.  

Just curious as the numerous RCB videos I watched etc. doesn't address this.  

Excursions and on islands, I would lean on not wearing most either, which would potentially be in safe on cruise.

Thanks again in advance for responses.

The safe is in the room and I would recommend using it for anything really valuable. 

Having said that, I don't think a cruise is where you really need to worry about theft.  The job is too valuable to the ships staff for them to be stealing and there are too many cameras around for another passenger to be breaking into your room.  Even leaving items at your lounger while swimming is pretty safe considering the camera coverage.  We just don't see a lot of theft reports on Blog sites such as this one.

I would take normal precautions, but wouldn't be overly worried.

16 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

The safe is in the room and I would recommend using it for anything really valuable. 

Having said that, I don't think a cruise is where you really need to worry about theft.  The job is too valuable to the ships staff for them to be stealing and there are too many cameras around for another passenger to be breaking into your room.  Even leaving items at your lounger while swimming is pretty safe considering the camera coverage.  We just don't see a lot of theft reports on Blog sites such as this one.

I would take normal precautions, but wouldn't be overly worried.

100% true. It would be slightly out of place to see the cleaning staff donning a Hermes Birkin bag while rolling the cleaning cart down the hallway. Not impossible but very suspect. In the 30 years I’ve been cruising I have never once had an issue with theft.

Our watches are insured (after a pin on my bracelet came out and watch fell off) and we do wear them on ship and in ports we know, off ship. I do wear my wedding ring but only on the ship in the evening. Otherwise it’s in the safe with documents, iPad, wallets etc. 

We don’t wear expensive clothes and all my handbags come from Marshall’s or TJMAXX 😁

The only expensive jewelry I wear is my wedding band and engagement ring.  Those are always on except when asleep.  I wear mostly costume jewelry, and an Apple Watch.  That's about it.  I don't buy really expensive clothing or expensive purses.  I don't buy cheap clothing/purses, but nothing to steal here except my wedding set.  I've never worried about theft on the cruise, just take the precautions I normally do.  The safe holds our passports, our cash for tips, and our electronic devices.  We keep it simple.  🙂

16 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I wear a solid gold Rolex Submariner 24/7/365 ship or no ship and have never had a single issue. I only use the safe for wallet, cash and boarding documents. As for the clothing, I can’t really assist with that considering my standard issue outfit is Tshirt, shorts & flip flops. Sorry. 

Solid gold Rolex and super casual clothing?

style-dude.gif

Thanks all for contributing, my wife and I rarely get to go out, and her being really into fashion (2 Fashion Degrees) has made her appreciate designer clothing/accesories etc.  I have always had an affinity to mechanical watches.  We rarely get a chance to go out and wear these types of items, as yes, I am mainly in flip flops and tee and shorts.

Good info all much appreciated!

1 hour ago, MarkFamMan said:

Thanks all for contributing, my wife and I rarely get to go out, and her being really into fashion (2 Fashion Degrees) has made her appreciate designer clothing/accesories etc.  I have always had an affinity to mechanical watches.  We rarely get a chance to go out and wear these types of items, as yes, I am mainly in flip flops and tee and shorts.

Good info all much appreciated!

Wear it & enjoy it! People watching is prime time on a cruise ship. You will see everything from the fashionistas dressed head to toe in Gucci to the casual shorts, t shirt & sandals folks all crossing paths. At the end of the day, it’s fun to watch. 

48 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Cruising is simply the best!!! I'll never understand those that don't like it.

Sadly, my wife is one.  I am trying to woo her on this one with a sky class suite experience, and a bunch of fun excursions, specialty dining, and chefs table.  Never really went "all out" like this, as we do ok, far from rich/wealthy!

Let's see if this one changes her mind lol, giving it the old college try!  Sorry btw Gator, but we are both OSU Buckeyes at heart lol.