Ovation of the Seas and Jones Act.

Petegl

I’m booked on a B2B2B sailing from Seattle to Sydney September October 2022.

Deaply concerned that if Canada stops cruising this year my sailing this year will go Bye Bye yet again this will add up to twelve cancelations in two years.

The last Transpacific was on the Explorer sailing one voyage Seattle to Sydney, now RCL for whatever reason split this sailing in two Vancouver Honolulu then Honolulu to Sydney, so if Canada is off the table because of the outdated and very stupid “Jones Act” no cruises will be able to go to Sydney from Seattle.

So Canada has us all by the ‘Short & Curlies’. 

The three Alaska representatives who presented the bill that allowed Alaska cruises this past year are requesting an extension of the bill so that if Canada does not allow cruise ship stops this year they can still sail from the lower US to Canada without having to stop in a foreign port.

54 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

The three Alaska representatives who presented the bill that allowed Alaska cruises this past year are requesting an extension of the bill so that if Canada does not allow cruise ship stops this year they can still sail from the lower US to Canada without having to stop in a foreign port.

I hope so, I did see this on Utube last night and she was hopeful that it could be permanent by permanently repelling the act altogether that would be a blessing for the cruise industry, can you imagine being able to sail Seattle to LA or Miami to New York without going to Canada.  

The Jones Act applies to cargo ships.  The Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA) applies to nearly any form of a commercial passenger vessel.  This includes water taxis, ferries, duck boats, cruise ships, etc. 

The PVSA may hinder cruise guests sailing to places like Alaska and Hawaii but it also covers so much more that would become a disaster if it were scrapped.  So while a handful of passengers can't vacation exactly the way they want to, the PVSA does serve a bigger purpose that remains relevant and vital.

We don't know what Canada will do by the time September comes around.  That's a long time away.  So much will change by then.  

6 minutes ago, Petegl said:

I hope so, I did see this on Utube last night and she was hopeful that it could be permanent by permanently repelling the act altogether that would be a blessing for the cruise industry, can you imagine being able to sail Seattle to LA or Miami to New York without going to Canada.  

ATRA last year only addressed very specific ships by name sailing to Alaska.  That bill did not eliminate the PVSA or address any other destination such as Hawaii or New England.  

And don't forget that Australia still has a cruise ban in place. That better be lifted by then!! All we have got at the moment is lip service and we have a federal election in May, so who knows when this issue will be sorted! I'll be flying to Europe in August to get my fix.

10 minutes ago, Toby said:

How much more would it cost the cruise lines to register some of their ships in the USA?  That would make the PVSA moot for those ships.

To be eligible the ships have to be made in the USA using steel made in the USA and all crew have to be US citizens.  

US Coast Guard inspections for US ships are much more stringent and frequent costing the ship owner much more money.

A cruise that costs us $5,000 today would probably cost ten times that. 

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

To be eligible the ships have to be made in the USA using steel made in the USA and all crew have to be US citizens.  

US Coast Guard inspections for US ships are much more stringent and frequent costing the ship owner much more money.

A cruise that costs us $5,000 today would probably cost ten times that. 

Yikes!  I always wondered why the cruise lines ships were foreign flagged.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There's really nothing to be resolved. Everything is a go at this point. Alaska is just getting contingencies in place

Moving ships from Vancouver to Seattle messes with a lot of booked flights.  Vancouver isn't a cheap city to fly into so when you see a good flight price you book it.    

People booked from Seattle have little to worry about.

People booked from Vancouver or that end in Vancouver is another matter.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Moving ships from Vancouver to Seattle messes with a lot of booked flights.  Vancouver isn't a cheap city to fly into so when you see a good flight price you book it.    

People booked from Seattle have little to worry about.

People booked from Vancouver or that end in Vancouver is another matter.

Yes, but at this point that's not a realistic concern.

Though selfishly I'd love my June cruise to move from Vancouver to Seattle

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, but at this point that's not a realistic concern.

Though selfishly I'd love my June cruise to move from Vancouver to Seattle

Canada is requiring 100% vaccinated.  Cruise lines either need to comply or not visit Canada. 

Or are you suggesting that Canada will change its policy?  You are talking about a country that had no problem fining their own citizens $5k for showing up at the border with an antigen test instead of a molecular test.  "Great, you are negative, welcome home, here is your $5k fine".

Transport Canada is in a pickle now.  If they back down and demur they admit the federal government has no basis for any policy other than public opinion.  

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Canada is requiring 100% vaccinated.

Canada is requiring 100% of those ages 12 years and older to be vaccinated.

See section 7.2b under the cruise ship section

https://tc.canada.ca/en/ministerial-orders-interim-orders-directives-directions-response-letters/interim-order-no-2-respecting-vessel-restrictions-vaccination-requirements-due-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

I'm really hoping the Canadian government can get to a point where they feel comfortable relaxing some of the restrictions. I miss visiting Halifax, St. John's, PEI and other east coast destinations in the fall. Beautiful places with really welcoming people. Love the sights, shopping, food and pubs. Can't wait to get back!!

57 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We are sailing AK this year, and now am glad I didn't book a NE cruise for later in the fall.  The testing requirement continues to be over the top, but then Canada has been over the top for some time now, regarding Covid.