On Symphony now. Ask me anything :)

Jay Jay

On Symphony until March 5th. 3800 passengers. Sea day jam packed...hard to find lounger. Wouldn't want to see at full capacity.

Most shows cancelled, no lasertag, some eating venues with limited hours. 

Boarding time not checked, no line ups when we passed around noon.

Can't punch seacard, no bracelets.

Get internet with multiple devices, no need for individual.

Regarding masks, about 75% don't wear indoors.

Having a great time so far with the entire family (with kiddos 8 & 13, wife, grandma)!

AMA 🙂

1 hour ago, Jay Jay said:

On Symphony until March 5th. 3800 passengers. Sea day jam packed...hard to find lounger. Wouldn't want to see at full capacity.

Most shows cancelled, no lasertag, some eating venues with limited hours. 

Boarding time not checked, no line ups when we passed around noon.

Can't punch seacard, no bracelets.

Get internet with multiple devices, no need for individual.

Regarding masks, about 75% don't wear indoors.

Having a great time so far with the entire family (with kiddos 8 & 13, wife, grandma)!

AMA 🙂

I board on March 5,2022. Have they stated why the shows and laser tag is cancelled? I assume it's COVID, but with them rolling back on some protocols it doesn't make sense. Can you confirm if its the Broadway and Hiro show? 

How is the food?  We were on Symphony  2/12-19 and the food at both the CK and the specialty restaurants was the most mediocre to bad that we’ve ever had on a cruise.  I even spent 2 nights sick after eating …….. once from I think the tuna tartare in Chops which did taste a bit off and I didn’t finish it  …… and once after eating at Izumi.

2 hours ago, mamie said:

I board on March 5,2022. Have they stated why the shows and laser tag is cancelled? I assume it's COVID, but with them rolling back on some protocols it doesn't make sense. Can you confirm if its the Broadway and Hiro show? 

Presumably covid reasons. Hiro has a few show times, 1977 (skating) has 2, flight 1. That's about it, the rest are comedians.

Solarium bistro is closed.

Most of the activities are on, including flow rider, zipline, slides.

12 minutes ago, Jay Jay said:

Presumably covid reasons. Hiro has a few show times, 1977 (skating) has 2, flight 1. That's about it, the rest are comedians.

Solarium bistro is closed.

Most of the activities are on, including flow rider, zipline, slides.

Thanks for the info! 

1 hour ago, ChrisK2793 said:

How is the food?  We were on Symphony  2/12-19 and the food at both the CK and the specialty restaurants was the most mediocre to bad that we’ve ever had on a cruise.  I even spent 2 nights sick after eating …….. once from I think the tuna tartare in Chops which did taste a bit off and I didn’t finish it  …… and once after eating at Izumi.

Food is very good, but this is obviously very relative to past experiences and expectations.

Service is good and friendly but lacking compared to what we are used to...perhaps this is normal but didn't expect to wait 20 minutes for a waiter to ask for coffee at breakfast. Or lineups for windjammer with ship at 60%.

1 hour ago, need2cruz said:

Did they cancel the ice shows?  I was on 2/12-2/19, too.  One thing I noticed when looking at the performers name tags were multiple people from both Ukraine and Russia.

That's an interesting point as many skaters are indeed Russian (and prob some Ukrainian), but 1977 does have 2 shows...it's excellent (note that venue is packed due to limited shows available). Royal has also made special contractual exceptions for Ukrainian and Russian staff who wish to go home to support family, which is nice to hear.

We cruise in 2 weeks. I’m super bummed to hear about show cancellations. I’ve been checking daily for the reservations to open up only to learn they don’t anymore. For the ones that will be on, does booking open up once you’re on the ships WiFi?

Any space or hour limitations on the nusury hours? We are stressing that we won’t be able to book any hours for her at all so we have no idea what to expect since it’s our first cruise with a child. She’s under 1yo.

We also just learned we can’t leave the ship with her without booking an excursion but everything is already booked. The timing of the information absolutely sucks. They tell you nothing!

Thanks for any advice you post. Definitely will be following this chat!

The requirements for excursions through Royal only for unvaxxed children has been in the healthy sail protocols for a very long time.   This is not new and is on their website, the app and I count at least 5 emails for our trip 3/13.  🤷‍♀️ You say everything is booked. Did you mean third party excursions?

We weren’t doing much browsing on their website for information as it was so far out. We were going by when they sent us information via email. When I reached out we were originally told that did not apply to children ineligible for the vaccine so we thought our 7 month old infant was excluded. They said “kids” not “babies” or “infants”. Turns out that was wrong. 

Royal’s excursions are all booked. There are only a couple still available but they have age restrictions which we couldn’t bring an infant. 

11 hours ago, Maiku said:

We cruise in 2 weeks. I’m super bummed to hear about show cancellations. I’ve been checking daily for the reservations to open up only to learn they don’t anymore. For the ones that will be on, does booking open up once you’re on the ships WiFi?

Any space or hour limitations on the nusury hours? We are stressing that we won’t be able to book any hours for her at all so we have no idea what to expect since it’s our first cruise with a child. She’s under 1yo.

We also just learned we can’t leave the ship with her without booking an excursion but everything is already booked. The timing of the information absolutely sucks. They tell you nothing!

Thanks for any advice you post. Definitely will be following this chat!

Don't have a baby but nursery hours are not currently limited nor limited, but that can change from week to week. Many excursion openings this week. You're going during a busy March break week so it will likely be a different story. You can book a private Royal excursion via Private Journeys (more expensive but reasonable)

How have lines at Windjammer been? How long are you waiting to get in, to get food, etc., during meal times?

It's so weird how some people find a ship really crowded and others don't. I was on Symphony at capacity and I never felt like it was too crowded. Strange.

6 hours ago, Marc said:

I received this from the concierge for next week's (eastern) sailing. It may be of use to others, but it is subject to change, of course.

Whoops, forgot it had the highlighting in there. Well, now you know what I've chosen. 😁

Shows at Glance.pdf 792.16 kB · 38 downloads

This is greatly appreicated and now I can plan ahead. I will be on this sailing. 

6 hours ago, Marc said:

I received this from the concierge for next week's (eastern) sailing. It may be of use to others, but it is subject to change, of course.

Whoops, forgot it had the highlighting in there. Well, now you know what I've chosen. 😁

Shows at Glance.pdf 792.16 kB · 41 downloads

So did you send the highlighted information back to the concierge for her to make the reservations or is that just notes to self?

9 hours ago, Marc said:

Shows at Glance.pdf 792.16 kB · 64 downloads

Western sailing is the same. Ronn Lucas is hilarious. All Hiro shows have been cancelled so far...hopefully will be able to attend Friday. Book them all by suppertime on day 1 or they'll be full.