Ice skating?

PocketsRN

On those ships with ice rinks, is it just for the shows, or can you actually go and skate? I didn't pay any attention to it when I was on Freedom last year, but I have a new cruising buddy going with me on Navigator next month, and she seemed really excited about it. Navigator's page says "challenge yourself to the ice-skating rink", so I'm thinking so, but would it be something we need to book ahead of time, or just show up?

Same experience on Indy...it filled up quickly and I only remember it being offered twice during the 5 day cruise.

I am going to be on the same cruise as you on Navigator and am thinking I may try and give it a try this time. I am going with a first time cruiser so I am sure she is going to want to check out everything as well!

Do they have all sizes of skates? My 4 year old would love to go ice skating but not sure if they carry her size.

Yes, my 5 year old went skating with me on Allure of the Seas.  Definitely kid friendly.

They also have two types of free skate: General free skate and advanced free skate.

General free skate is for everyone, whereas advanced free skate is for those that know what they are doing and want to try out tricks and whatnot.

They do have open skating, but it fills up fast. If recommend getting there about a half hours before opening. In the Liberty, it was only offered once.

Note that you must have long pants and socks to skate.

I do agree showing up early is important. Not sure about 30 mins early, but I do agree show up a few minutes before opening to ensure you get in first (and don't have much of a wait).

If you have done a lot of ice skating in life I'd moderate your expectations as it's a very small rink that gets very crowded with ice that gets very chewed up. It's cool to do it just so you can say you ice skated on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, and if you have never skated it's a great way get a taste, but it doesn't offer a lot more than that. Although I haven't tried the Advanced Free Skate (never saw it as an option), which might be an improvement for experienced skaters.

I do agree showing up early is important. Not sure about 30 mins early, but I do agree show up a few minutes before opening to ensure you get in first (and don't have much of a wait).

. On the Liberty, my only experience thus far with ice skating, they told me that they had met capacity before they even opened and suggested we come 30 minutes early before the next sharing session. Unfortunately, they never scheduled a second one, which was quite disappointing.

it's a very small rink that gets very crowded with ice that gets very chewed up. It's cool to do it just so you can say you ice skated on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, and if you have never skated it's a great way get a taste, but it doesn't offer a lot more than that. 

I generally agree.  Depending on what else is going on around the ship, it can get crowded.  But it's a fun time.

My biggest issue is remembering to pack socks and long pants (jeans) for it.

haha...it does seem like a hassle to have to go back to the room and put on socks and long pants....prob why I didn't do it the first cruise.....we'll see what happens this time.

But the ice shows are pretty good. I thought they would be cheesy...but they were all pretty good skaters and put on a good show...and u don't need to wear long pants or socks to watch that so...lol

They do have open skating, but it fills up fast. If recommend getting there about a half hours before opening. In the Liberty, it was only offered once.

Note that you must have long pants and socks to skate.

Oh thanks for the reminder regarding long pants.  My Granddaughters want to skate on our Oasis cruise this coming summer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We arrived 20 minutes early on Indy during our Jan 5th cruise and it was already maxed out. We were told that people started lining up an hour ahead of time. No thanks!

We had a similar experience on the Liberty. And unfortunately, they only did it once during the entire 7 day cruise. I really think they need to go to a reservation system like for the shows on the bigger ships or break it up by muster station to better manage the demand.

When I saw the open skate on the Allure, I was glad we didn't attempt it as the ice was much too crowded for my liking.