10 Drink Card

arebee

I'd suspect that they'd wait to offer this until they've passed the window in which you can purchase a drink package. This suspicion is of course, based on very little.

I'll agree and add that they're also looking at projected bar revenue. If the bars aren't making as much as expected, this may be in their tool box to increase revenue.

One thing the drink card would come in handy for is when/if you want to buy a drink for friends or family or buy a round at the bar type thing. No option to do that with the drink package(well unless you want to pay full price for each drink)

Had friends that got engaged on a previous cruise and wanted to buy them a glass of champagne each...you would have thought I was asking them to turn the ship around....no way they wanted to do it....even when I told them to charge it to my card.....they still didn't want to "give" me more than one drink at a time

So perhaps in that situation a drink card would have been nice to have.

Is it heresy to actively promote within the Nav GC group not to buy the drink package so drink cards may be offered? It probably wouldn't have an effect one way or the other, but it occurred to me...

Not at all, but I know many (including myself) bought the drink package back when it was on sale for like $41/day.

We have a 33 drink "budget" based on $10 per drink. This could stretch the budget some. And we are also bringing on two bottles with us, which might cover the days leading up to when they offer the cards... Plus, alcohol is included in Chef's Table -- Probably won't be drinking heavily that day. And we are planning on the Champagne brunch and Galley Tour... More alcohol already included... I'm beginning to think we'll be pleasantly soused.

We have a 33 drink "budget" based on $10 per drink. This could stretch the budget some. And we are also bringing on two bottles with us, which might cover the days leading up to when they offer the cards... Plus, alcohol is included in Chef's Table -- Probably won't be drinking heavily that day. And we are planning on the Champagne brunch and Galley Tour... More alcohol already included... I'm beginning to think we'll be pleasantly soused.

So Uke, was this for like a 3-5 day cruise?

This approach makes tons of sense in our case...I may do something like it!

I always get the drink package....and usually break  even for the cruise on the first day.....everything else after that is "free".....haha

You're still my hero. :)

I've had the drink package on my two last cruises, and the most recent one was a rum tour where we visited distilleries and had tastings, etc., so wound up drinking on shore rather than staying onboard.  Even so, the drink package was worth it to me to try new drinks, have everything prepaid, etc.  

My wife on the other hand doesn't drink as much as me onboard so the package doesn't work for her.  Because she's paying for each drink, she'll have maybe one drink a day.  I wish they would offer the 10 Drink Card at the beginning of the cruise so I could pick one up for her and tell her to have fun with it.

well at $12 a drink(which is what most of my drinks are) it adds up quickly...throw in some bottled water and some wine with supper yeah.

Now that being said, I have only done 4 and 5 day cruises....not the 7 nights which would be a little different I am sure.

And I don't drink much at all off the ship either, I save it all for on board.

You're still my hero. :)

I've had the drink package on my two last cruises, and the most recent one was a rum tour where we visited distilleries and had tastings, etc., so wound up drinking on shore rather than staying onboard.  Even so, the drink package was worth it to me to try new drinks, have everything prepaid, etc.  

My wife on the other hand doesn't drink as much as me onboard so the package doesn't work for her.  Because she's paying for each drink, she'll have maybe one drink a day.  I wish they would offer the 10 Drink Card at the beginning of the cruise so I could pick one up for her and tell her to have fun with it.

We tried to do the rum tour in Jamaica one cruise, and the road got washed out. We don't have much luck with excursions!

We tried to do the rum tour in Jamaica one cruise, and the road got washed out. We don't have much luck with excursions!

In Old San Juan we did La Casita Rones which is a rum bar and 'Puerto Rican Rum Embassy' located right at the pier downtown.

St. Maarten we went to Topper's Rhum Distillery

I skipped St Kitts; the group went to Brinley's, I took a catamaran to Nevis and had a "Killer Bee" at Sunshines.

On Antigua we toured Antigua Distilleries and had a tasting.  One was a bottle that was distilled in 1981 for their independence and aged 25 years.  Fabulous!  That bottle came home with me - the kids really don't need to go to college after all...

While in St. Lucia we toured St. Lucia Distilleries and partook of many rare rums the management set out for us.  They really went out of their way to educate us on the whole process, from cane field (or molasses tanker, depending on the brand) to barrel to bottle.  It was a fantastic experience.

On our last stop in Barbados, we toured St. Nicholas Abbey where they owners make an artisanal rum, and then off to Mount Gay's production facility at the north end of the island (not the visitors center near the port).  They gave us the V-V-VIP tour of the plant, followed by a session where we got to mix our own blend of rum (and take home a small bottle with our names on it), and finally we went into the aging facility where they gave us chalk and we were able to write our names on a barrel.  On the way back to the ship we stopped at the Visitor's Center and a bottle marking Barbados' 50th Independence Anniversary managed to make it home with me.

It was a fabulous experience for a rum enthusiast like myself!

Rob Burr is a rum expert and he and his wife Robin organized the tours.  

http://www.robsrum.com/2016/06/16/caribbean-rum-cruise-announces-vip-distillery-tours/

It was a fabulous experience for a rum enthusiast like myself, and I highly recommend it if you are interested in the spirit.

In Old San Juan we did La Casita Rones which is a rum bar and 'Puerto Rican Rum Embassy' located right at the pier downtown.

St. Maarten we went to Topper's Rhum Distillery

I skipped St Kitts; the group went to Brinley's, I took a catamaran to Nevis and had a "Killer Bee" at Sunshines.

On Antigua we toured Antigua Distilleries and had a tasting.  One was a bottle that was distilled in 1981 for their independence and aged 25 years.  Fabulous!  That bottle came home with me - the kids really don't need to go to college after all...

While in St. Lucia we toured St. Lucia Distilleries and partook of many rare rums the management set out for us.  They really went out of their way to educate us on the whole process, from cane field (or molasses tanker, depending on the brand) to barrel to bottle.  It was a fantastic experience.

On our last stop in Barbados, we toured St. Nicholas Abbey where they owners make an artisanal rum, and then off to Mount Gay's production facility at the north end of the island (not the visitors center near the port).  They gave us the V-V-VIP tour of the plant, followed by a session where we got to mix our own blend of rum (and take home a small bottle with our names on it), and finally we went into the aging facility where they gave us chalk and we were able to write our names on a barrel.  On the way back to the ship we stopped at the Visitor's Center and a bottle marking Barbados' 50th Independence Anniversary managed to make it home with me.

It was a fabulous experience for a rum enthusiast like myself!

Rob Burr is a rum expert and he and his wife Robin organized the tours.  

http://www.robsrum.com/2016/06/16/caribbean-rum-cruise-announces-vip-distillery-tours/

It was a fabulous experience for a rum enthusiast like myself, and I highly recommend it if you are interested in the spirit.

I don't know that rum is my favorite, but I did notice a rum tasting excursion at the museum in Belize City. Not too pricey, either.

well at $12 a drink(which is what most of my drinks are) it adds up quickly...throw in some bottled water and some wine with supper yeah.

Now that being said, I have only done 4 and 5 day cruises....not the 7 nights which would be a little different I am sure.

And I don't drink much at all off the ship either, I save it all for on board.

Good point.  I was for 4 cocktails in within my first 1.5 hours on board for my last sailing.  I did have a few bottles of water that first day too and a few glasses of wine at dinner, then few more night-caps.  

I probably broke even on my package the first day as well after all of that. Especially since that sailing had a BOGO50 promotion on the premium drink package.

I wont disclose my total drink tally for the first day on a cruise but lets just say they go  down quickly, especially those first few hours when the sun is out, sitting out on the pool deck...and I am usually on around 11am and crash out about 2am...so in 15 hours, you can enjoy a lot of drinks!...lol

But the 10 drink card would come in handy for buying drinks for friends and family at a slightly discounted rate I guess.

One thing the drink card would come in handy for is when/if you want to buy a drink for friends or family or buy a round at the bar type thing. No option to do that with the drink package(well unless you want to pay full price for each drink)

Had friends that got engaged on a previous cruise and wanted to buy them a glass of champagne each...you would have thought I was asking them to turn the ship around....no way they wanted to do it....even when I told them to charge it to my card.....they still didn't want to "give" me more than one drink at a time

So perhaps in that situation a drink card would have been nice to have.

Probably would have been better to just buy the bottle. You would get 20% or 40% off depending on the cost and they would give you multiple glasses

I wish they would offer the card for 4-5 night cruises to purchase pre cruise in the planner-like the cafe select card. That would be my personal drink package as I cannot drink enough to make the ultimate package worth it!

I dont think they would do that. Then no one would buy the drink package. You would just buy the 10 drink card and if you use it half way through, you can get another. They count on people buying the package and not drinking that much.