Keep an eye on your billing statement & more poor customer service

Royal Caribbean continues to under whelm me with their complete lack of customer service and take or leave it attitude.  I Booked cruise in September 2021 with my future cruise credits.   Received copy of my invoice that reflected total charge of $1,037. and amount paid of $1,064 (my FCC) with $0 due.  Much to my surprise, I got notice of balance due email today with final payment date of March 4, 2022.  The invoice showed only $867 paid and $161 due.  I was convinced this would quickly be resolved given I had and invoice from September 2021 showing $0 due.  The less the helpful agent indicated that they made a  mistake with the first invoice since FCC should not have been used to cover taxes and gratuities.   While on the phone they discovered the new invoice was not correct and what was due was $118 not $161.  A couple points to make, Royal Caribbean never reached out to me to inform me of their first billing error and just sent the new invoice with no explanation.  More quality customer service from Royal Caribbean.  I requested they send me a new invoice to reflect the $118.  They indicated it needed to go to accounting who ultimately approves the change and this would take a couple of days.  I then requested they extend the final payment date of March 4th to allow time for new invoice to so.  For all I know the new invoice would show that I owed more then what the agent indicated.  I was told I should call back on the 4th to see to confirm the new total.  Completely unexpectable but consistent with the poor level of service I have experienced since this all started in March of 2022.  I have been a long time loyal Royal Caribbean customer.  That has ended today.  I will eat the $1,064 in FCC then give them another penny of my money.  

1 hour ago, GoodReddensRCC said:

Apparently only RCC is funding this Blog.  Only nice stories approved.  Way to go Matt!

Incorrect.  The fact is, there are only a few moderators, and occasionally we do things like work, family stuff, etc.  Today was one of those days that it just took a little while to get things moderated.  

10 hours ago, GoodReddensRCC said:

they made a  mistake with the first invoice since FCC should not have been used to cover taxes and gratuities.  

I had same situation,  like yourself i asked the question why i was due more money and like yourself i was informed it was for port fees and taxes! It makes sense really as ports will charge different amounts. If it was less than your original you would have FCC left over to use on another cruise if it is more then you pay the extra! Just like airlines when you change routes! 

The less the helpful agent indicated 

They did their job and pointed out the issue obviously very clearly as you understood it enough to go into detail here, are they only less than helpful because you didnt get the answer you wanted? 

I will eat the $1,064 in FCC then give them another penny of my money.  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 you want ketchup with your order ? 

After being on this board for several years now and reading the true horror stories people have related about the issues they’ve had during the shut down, cancelled cruises, lost FCCs, moved cruises again cancelled etc etc.  Add in the problems RC has faced with no revenue cruises for 18 months and trying to figure it all out on the fly with a less than stellar IT system,  IMHO all of that over $160?  Lose $1064 over $160?  Pay it, cruise, sort it out later.  

12 hours ago, GoodReddensRCC said:

Apparently only RCC is funding this Blog.  Only nice stories approved.  Way to go Matt!

Apparently you joined only to complain and haven’t read some other threads here. 🙂 People do share here. I suggest you look around.

That said, many of us have had issues with the accounting end of things.  And not just with RCI.  I get that you are frustrated, as I have been at times, but I wouldn’t toss away good money out of frustration.  I hope you get it worked out without sacrificing that much money. 

During the shutdown they let many workers go like most businesses in their position did while they were not operating.  Now they are hiring people back and continue to hire as it gets busier.  Prior to the shutdown they were in the habit of processing a handful of cancellations daily.  Then they had to process thousands of cancellations daily with fewer employees.  Naturally customer service has been impacted.  It's not been perfect but for those that are patient Royal will eventually come through in the end. 

They did what they had to do to survive.  Just be glad you are not in the position that booked guests on cruise lines that have gone out of business during this are going through right now.  

New member posts are delayed for approval because there have been many cases of spammers littering dozens of posts about unrelated products and services.  Spammers use bots to post ads and offers on unprotected message boards.  For those of us that have been here a while we've all seen the spammers at work so they had to delay new member posts for approvals by a human.  The admins that "work" here are volunteers.  Give them a break.  

GoodReddensRCC

I'm right there with you on RCC lack of full disclosure and take it or leave it attitude.  Clearly when talking with RCC on the phone, they are under the influence of attorney's / accountants running the company to protect their position and conserve cash.  The liability on their balance sheet for all the FCC is massive and is something they are clearly struggling with.  On the flip side, unused FCC that expire will result in a windfall to their financials on paper. (+-Depending upon book reserve balances)

With that said, I have had FCC burning hole in pocket for almost 2 yearns now.  I have gone round and round with them on a few items they owe me money on and they refuse to move.  I have cruised multiple times with the usual suspects and have status with...... Disney, Princess, and Seabourn.  This would have been our first RCC and I have been less than impressed.  At this point I am just trying to recoup what I can from my out of pocket while managing my risk of additional losses to them on a booking.

I have my eye on 3 possible options this summer.  I will not pull the trigger until the last moment.  I am managing the expectations of my family on room type and cruise for the very reason of waiting.   No way I will give RCC any more cash until the last minute I book.  I really hope I can find a way to use the FCC, but if too risky, I too will walk away.  What I really wonder about is the long-term impact to RCC for this type of action.  If I do end up "eating" the FCC, there is simply no way I would ever use them again.  I hope this doesn't happen.

And finally, while many here are clearly huge fans of RCC and will tend to defend RCC, most are open to ideas, understand the situation, and give good information.   Some are travel agents trying to make a buck.    I love to cruise and am dying to travel... but It is what it is, so protect your family and your pocketbook.  And get everything in writing from RCC.  I don't trust RCC as far as I can throw them.

Cheers.