US dollars

G'day, I am looking at all the options and trying to plan for the best experience possible with the funds I have available and are a little confused by all the AU and US dollars etc

The drinks package prices are quoted in US$ and the shore excursions are quoted in AU$ does that mean when preparing my budget I will have to budget for the 40 US$ package really costing me 43 AUS$ ?

The excursions are quoted in AUS$ so  I budget for a 409 AUS$ excursion costing 409 AUS$.

Do we pay for excursions and or drinks packages before we get on board or is it all paid through the cruise card at the end of the cruise?

If it is paid prior to boarding the ship do we pay US or AUS dollar and if paid at the end of the cruise do we pay AUS or US dollars?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Are you sailing on a Royal Caribbean ship from Australia or from the US?

If you're sailing from AUS, then all currency most likely would be AUS. Excursions are quoted in AU because you are viewing the Australian version of RoyalCaribbean.com. If sailing from the US, pricing onboard the ship is in US currency. If you pre-book excursions, you'll pay AUS price. Anything you buy onboard the ship you'll pay US price.

You can pre-book excursions and drink packages or buy them on the ship. If you wait to book excursions on the ship, some might be sold out. 

We are cruising in February 2015 so still 8 months away or 251 days 39 minutes and 30...29...28...27...26...seconds, so I know we cannot book anything yet.

But just curious we spoke to the travel agent today and she told us we can book drinks package and excursions 75 days prior to departure, but we still cannot pay for them, as they will be charged to the cruise card and paid for at the end of the cruise on board the ship... so I guess we will have to budget for the drinks and excursions in US dollars.

Peter

once you are within 6 months some things will pop up more to book - excursions you pay for as you book them and they are charged right away to your card and in AUS but as you get closer more things will open up to book/pay for.   Great information listed by Tylor

But just curious we spoke to the travel agent today and she told us we can book drinks package and excursions 75 days prior to departure, but we still cannot pay for them, as they will be charged to the cruise card and paid for at the end of the cruise on board the ship...

Peter

That's weird, I was able to pay for both our royal replenish packages through the planner ahead of time. While I know you're still too far out, I wonder if the inability to pay pre-cruise at all is indeed related to a difference in charged currency?

I have paid for air fares and a deposit, everything is confirmed but we have not paid in full as yet, Perhaps we cannot pre book anything as we have not yet paid fully.

Do you get the sea pass / cruise card when it is paid or when you get to the ship?

Peter

I have paid for air fares and a deposit, everything is confirmed but we have not paid in full as yet, Perhaps we cannot pre book anything as we have not yet paid fully.

Do you get the sea pass / cruise card when it is paid or when you get to the ship?

Peter

Sometime in the month or two before your embarkation date you should be notified that your documents are ready to view (depending also on if you have traditional mail or email as your default). From I believe then until something like 3-5 days(someone correct me on that final deadline!) you can do alot of your sign up online and print out a 'set sail pass' that you take to the port. This is supposed to cut down on time to fill out paperwork there. Afterwards at port you'll receive your sea pass. You can also opt to fill out the same paperwork at the port if you wish.

Our first cruise was actually booked through a travel incentive company out of state by family for our honeymoon. We were told to pick 3 dates that they listed... one of which was perfect. The problem was we wouldn't know until 2 weeks before which date for sure. We get 2 weeks out and were told "sorry not available, you're going in September" four months after our wedding. Henceforth I chose to go straight through Royal Caribbean this time. Perhaps I'll give a TA a shot next time, but I wont bank on it lol.

That's weird, I was able to pay for both our royal replenish packages through the planner ahead of time. While I know you're still too far out, I wonder if the inability to pay pre-cruise at all is indeed related to a difference in charged currency?

I think that you're able to book drinks packages, etc., now because they are things that Royal Caribbean is in total control of.  Excursions are operated by third parties, and if they aren't "up to snuff" RC ends the relationship with them.  It's possible that they are on 6 month contracts, and you're father than 6 months out (I'm just guessing on this).  On my last cruise a whole bunch of excursions were cancelled months out due to complaints from prior cruisers.