Grease on Independence

Biff215

I’ve read a few reports of a modified Grease show on Indy. Apparently it’s called “Grease in Concert” and primarily only includes the songs?

Does anyone know why this is happening and how long it might continue? We were on Symphony in December at the height of the Omicron wave and they still managed the full Hairspray performance so I was just wondering what was going on. 

6 hours ago, jack_4321 said:

I believe that was during the peak of omicron and it was because the some of the performers had to isolate. It should be back to normal grease now.

4 hours ago, bryresangel said:

We just were on the Independence in November and it was normal Grease. Not sure if it changed after we sailed, but it was fine for us.

I had assumed the same thing but some recent vlogs I’ve seen appear to show the “new” version still. Even the app for this weekend’s sailing lists it this way:

Slick back your hair and pack your poodle skirts. Summer Lovin’ is in the air with our larger than life concert version of the hit Broadway’s musical, "Grease." Including all of the famous songs from the 70s hit movie, you’ll hear the romantic twists and turns of Sandy and Danny, two summer loves who navigate the tricky social waters of Rydell High School while keeping their reputations — and relationship — together, so come and join in on the fun and get your singing voices on!

🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

When I was on Independence last weekend it was still Grease in concert.

Recap of what it's like here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/01/12/independence-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-2-sea-day

Thanks, Matt, I knew I read that here too but hoped it had changed by now. I’m guessing that it’s more than just COVID related as Harmony still seems to have the full version. Maybe a cast member left the ship before their contract ended? I just really hope this isn’t a permanent change due to Indy’s shorter cruises.

Just off Indy and it was supposed to be Grease in Concert, we got Grease in concert lite.

Wasn't clearly announced why but heavily hinted at as COVID related. Quote "This afternoon some members of the cast were pronounced as "not fit for duty" so we are unable to perform the show".

They had some grease cast members perform a handful of songs both from Grease and other songs and then brought back the headliner from the night before to do a few new tricks. Overall it was a fun show but clearly "thrown together on the fly".

In regards to why "Grease in Concert" talked to a regular Indy cruiser two weekends ago when we were on board and he indicated that they were having trouble getting/keeping enough back of house staff to run the prop changes, lighting, etc. so they were doing the "sit and sing without choreography" to get around that.