"Captain's Welcome Party" ?

• 4 months later...

Oasis has been holding the top tier event.

apparently last month they had the Cheers with an officer  unfortunately my stateroom attendant never put the paperwork in my cabin, so I missed the opportunity  the next week of my B2B we booked Izumi lunch, got the paperwork later and decided to not move Izumi (it was my birthday lunch).  Long story short ,it’s back on Oasis. (Btw the loyalty ambassador described it as a special lunch in the MDR but the Captain either isn’t necessarily there or doesn’t stay….

TBH, the few times we went to the C&A lunches, we decided they weren’t worth the time or effort.  I loathe small talk and really have little interest in “getting to know” the staff and officers (with very few exceptions).  Since we normally have the UDP, we have to miss a specialty meal to go and the food is generally very “meh”.  We hadn’t been in years, even before our 2 year pause due to COVID.  I’m glad they have it for those who enjoy it but it’s not our scene.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

TBH, the few times we went to the C&A lunches, we decided they weren’t worth the time or effort.  I loathe small talk and really have little interest in “getting to know” the staff and officers (with very few exceptions).  Since we normally have the UDP, we have to miss a specialty meal to go and the food is generally very “meh”.  We hadn’t been in years, even before our 2 year pause due to COVID.  I’m glad they have it for those who enjoy it but it’s not our scene.

I don't like being a Duggie Downer, but I just don't see the draw to these things either.  Status and/or Celebrity doesn't turn my crank at all.  Believe me, I've broke bread with some of this world's most, well it doesn't matter.  I find most are, besides the very small realm that they became famous/rich/successful in, very narrow minded and don't have much else to offer in a conversation that I'm interested in.  I'd rather sit down and have a long conversation with our local plumber or cashier at the grocery store or the server in Chops Grill.  

Those that enjoy these things, I honestly hope you can go to them again.  I hold no opinion toward you for wanting it.  It's just not for me!

• 9 months later...

They announced today on Vision (at the Top Tier followed by an ship announcement a few hours later) that we would be having a Captain’s Reception tonight “because this is a repositioning cruise” and made it sound like they only do that for transatlantic, transpacific, or repositioning cruises. Not sure why that would make a difference though. 

On 7/17/2022 at 3:13 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m going to contradict myself. [What a shock !]

On our last cruise (Vision 4-21-23), we decided to go to the “Toast With an Officer” or whatever it’s called.  It was a very pleasant surprise !

#1, they have changed the format from actually sitting at a table with a bunch of strangers and some junior officer who would rather be anywhere else, to a private table where a couple officers come in, offer a toast and then leave !

#2, the lunch (food) wasn’t terrible !  The wine and champagne flowed generously. [is “flowed” the correct verb here ?]

#3, we did NOT have the UDP so we were not sacrificing a specialty lunch to be there.

So I guess I enjoy the new format much more than the old.

• 1 month later...