Weird Booking Thing... not allowing 3 or more in a room?

jeffmw

So here's something weird that I'm hoping someone can explain.

I'm going on Mariner on March 22. I'm already booked but I wanted get a sense of how how full it's going to be so today I was looking on the RC site. 

When I enter in that I have 2 people in my room, there are tons of rooms available, including many that I know for a fact can hold 3 or 4. But if I say I have 3 or 4 in my stateroom it says there's nothing available. 

Why would there be a sailing with a ton of open rooms but they're only allowing 2 people per room? Does that help keep a hold on capacity (even through the sailing is far from full)? If they're trying to limit capacity, doesn't it make more sense to make whole rooms unavailable but allow the normal number of people per room? That really precludes families from going if they're forced to get more than 1 room. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

My March 20 is the same. I assume it's an attempt to cap the number of potentially unvaccinated kids on board.  And that assumption based on another assumption that the majority of cabins with more than 2 people are kids.

This makes a lot of sense. The third and fourth people in a room are more likely to be very young, and so they're less likely to be vaccinated. To maintain the all-important 95%, they actually need to somewhat limit the number of small children.

So they can monitor the age breakdown for a particular upcoming sailing and if there's a ton of kids under 5 already booked, they can shut off rooms of 3 or 4, thereby basically ensuring nobody new under 5 can get onto the ship and ensuring vax rates don't dip. I'm guessing on a typical Spring Break sailing close to >5% of the ship is under 5, so that in and of itself would disqualify it for the 95%. 

That's smart.

I’ve noticed this same thing. While I like the guess that it helps keep the unvaccinated numbers low, this falls apart when someone simply goes around it and books two rooms for that same family of four. Either way you’re giving Royal the ages of the kids so they can still figure out the potential percentages. My guess is that it’s been used to keep capacity at a certain number while also keeping the used rooms together as much as possible for staffing purposes. 

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

A simpler explanation...guests #3 and up in a room pay less than guests #1 and #2.  If you are already sailing at less than full capacity, you want everyone to be guests #1 and #2 so you make the most money!

It's only select sail dates.  If it was a money grab it would be all sail dates.

It's likely due to the 95% rule and when they are on the bubble they are likely blocking triple and quad occupancy.  Unfortunately it is impacting some fully vax families.  

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I would imagine you could call them up and book it. They'd be happy to take as many fully vaxed as they can.

I booked the Wonder for March 11th, and tried to get a room for 4. No luck. I called several times, hoping a different agent could help. Same answer each time. No can do!

So, I was forced to buy 2 rooms for my wife, two sons (11 & 13), and me. We are all fully vaxed. Only solace I take is that I'm not forced to buy my wife the deluxe drink package, since we're not on the same reservation.

16 hours ago, putinbay said:

I booked the Wonder for March 11th, and tried to get a room for 4. No luck. I called several times, hoping a different agent could help. Same answer each time. No can do!

So, I was forced to buy 2 rooms for my wife, two sons (11 & 13), and me. We are all fully vaxed. Only solace I take is that I'm not forced to buy my wife the deluxe drink package, since we're not on the same reservation.

You booked for the Wonder this year? I'd guess that sailing is pretty full as it is since it's only the 2nd one. I wonder how much of that had to do with room availability rather than simply not allowing 3+. Likely both, but I wonder if both are a factor in that particular case. 

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

You booked for the Wonder this year? I'd guess that sailing is pretty full as it is since it's only the 2nd one. I wonder how much of that had to do with room availability rather than simply not allowing 3+. Likely both, but I wonder if both are a factor in that particular case. 

Yes, just booked it last Wednesday (2/23/22).