MDR table mates

Vanessa77

Hi all,

not sure what the current go is in cruises in the US:

Is the main dining room back to normal where (for traditional dining) you are sitting with allocated table mates, same table, same servers for the whole cruise? 

if not, do you think that royal will go back to this at some point, or will sitting only with your party be the standard from now on? 

My next cruise is in December in Australia and while I’m sure we’ll have some as yet unknown restrictions/regulations on board, this is the one I am wondering about most. My partner and I are going just us on a 12 nighter. We choose traditional dining because we liked having the same wait staff and table last time, and we thought it would be nice to have some dinner conversation with others some of the time as we’ll also have specialty dining, so heaps of opportunities for dinner as just as. But I’m not sure whether this will even be a thing in places where cruising has returned for a while, let alone down under during our first season back. 

What do you think will happen? 

• 1 month later...

I cannot remember the last time we were on a mixed table, they tend to just keep your family together. We use to love the days where you would meet some new people at dinner, dinner then was the main part of the evening.

These days dinner is more about having food and getting to a venue for entertainment.

On 2/25/2022 at 2:56 PM, Vanessa77 said:

Hi all,

not sure what the current go is in cruises in the US:

Is the main dining room back to normal where (for traditional dining) you are sitting with allocated table mates, same table, same servers for the whole cruise? 

if not, do you think that royal will go back to this at some point, or will sitting only with your party be the standard from now on? 

My next cruise is in December in Australia and while I’m sure we’ll have some as yet unknown restrictions/regulations on board, this is the one I am wondering about most. My partner and I are going just us on a 12 nighter. We choose traditional dining because we liked having the same wait staff and table last time, and we thought it would be nice to have some dinner conversation with others some of the time as we’ll also have specialty dining, so heaps of opportunities for dinner as just as. But I’m not sure whether this will even be a thing in places where cruising has returned for a while, let alone down under during our first season back. 

What do you think will happen? 

They are currently mixing people for traditional dining, but I think it is based on request. March seems to be the month that things are going back to normal. As long as protocols are working, I can't see why in December you won't be sitting with friends who start out as strangers😉