which cruise is best??

bellatoad

Aussie here - planning first American/Caribbean holiday next year.

Family in Ireland and here all meeting up for a cruise to the Caribbean.

- there are SOOOO many to choose from.  

Where are the best places to go to?  Looking at approx 7 nights.  All adults (from 18 - 60 yo).

I almost thought about doing eeny meeny miny mo... :)

Happy cruising.

This is a little bit like asking which wine is best. Ask five people that like wine what their favourite wine is and you'll get five different answers, and I suspect the same for cruising.

But for me personally, if flights weren't an issue, my preference would be a southern itinerary out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Old San Juan is a very cool place to spend a day or two pre- or post-cruise. I'd prefer Freedom Adventure over Jewel because it has a few extras like the FlowRider, but I wouldn't hesitate to cruise Jewel again.

Of course if some people wanted to do Walt Disney World or Universal Studios (i.e. Harry Potter World), then Orlando might make more sense. If New York City appeals to the crowd, then cruising out of Cape Liberty (which is right around the corner from the Statue of Liberty) on Anthem might offer the greatest amount of overall awesomeness for the group as a whole, but would require a 9 to 12 day cruise to get farther than the Bahamas.

Given you've got folks coming from different directions, the cost and convenience of the flights for everyone involved might tilt the scales to one cruise over another. You might want to begin on Google Flights and compare how the flights will look for various ports of departure. Also consider whether or not the amenities of an Oasis or Quantum Class ship are make or break to your party. 

Not sure that helps, but I'm sure it will be great whatever you choose.

I would leave out of Florida with certainty...it's has so many european visitors for a reason it's very appealing to everyone and there are many things to do, and then pretty much ask yourself if it's sun and interesting cultures your seek, or is it shopping/gambling you want. I like the swimming with the dolphins and rainforests and places that make various alcohol so I like San Juan as a stop and then pretty much anywhere is great in Caribbean but I prefer to skip bahamas generally.....I can't imagine that not being fun, hell I want to go!

But for me personally, if flights weren't an issue, my preference would be a southern itinerary out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Old San Juan is a very cool place to spend a day or two pre- or post-cruise. I'd prefer Freedom over Jewel because it has a few extras like the FlowRider, but I wouldn't hesitate to cruise Jewel again.

Slight correction, it's Adventure that sails out of San Juan, not Freedom.

That said, even though it pains me to say this, for a first time cruiser I would avoid Adventure until the refurb that was supposed to happen last October is actually completed - which may not happen until sometime in 2018, since the ship is currently available for bookings that far out.  

While much of the planned stuff had been added, the rooms and many of the public spaces look very, very worn and dated.  The carpet in the cabins is the same blue-and-pink-coral they've had in there forever.  It just makes those places look like an old hotel.

That said, I booked Adventure again for next Thanksgiving anyhow.  I just wouldn't recommend it for first time cruisers at this time.

My advice is to pick the ship & worry less about the stops. The majority of the Caribbean is if you have seen one island you have seen them all. The Caribbean in its entirety is beautiful & sunny w/ amazing beaches and plenty to do. If I were you, I would sail on either Allure or Harmony of the seas out of Fort Lauderdale. You simply cannot go wrong with those two ships regardless of where they sail.

To be honest coming from Australia (and right now driving to Sydney from Melbourne to board our first cruise tomorrow - explorer of the seas) I'm pretty sure anywhere we go over there will be amazing (never been USA or its neighbours).. Luv all your suggestions and will take on board :-)

So super excited, but nervous at same time.

Can't wait to get my first cocktail :-) xox

Any cruise with RCI is great!! SO much to do and see and experience. I am sure after your first cruise is done, you will be ready and willing to book anything to anywhere...haha

But yes, there are so many different ships options and port options and price options of course, its going to be hard to decide.

Good luck...you'll enjoy it I am sure!