Fact or Fiction? If <95% vaccinated unvaccinated will get compensated to cancel

On 3/9/2022 at 12:13 AM, Cruiser4Life said:

My cousin applied for a medical exemption onboard the Oasis for our cruise this month and was denied. This was however, about 3 months ago when they denied her. Even with medical records corroborating what they asked for, the response was that hands were tied due to the Bahamian requirements…. The agent was sympathetic and said the only real chance she had was to choose an itinerary (probably non Caribbean) that did not include Nassau or coco cay or any other destination that required mandatory vaccination of all passengers over 12. However, you can fly into the Bahamas without being vaccinated so I understand how ridiculous the rule is and how high the frustrations levels are. She was incredibly disappointed and it has definitely put a damper on our trip. 😓

Dang, so sorry for your cousin. It’s unfair, though I understand the (CYA) reasons behind it. It makes those who truly can’t get vaccinated feel like social pariahs. I just had covid too, so I most definitely have more antibodies than all those due for boosters. That’s the idiotic part of it. I’m a critical care nurse and worked all throughout the heights of the pandemic. When no one knew what Covid was I was caring for these patients, so it’s just frustrating that now being vaccinated is being held against me, when it was perfectly okay for me to risk my life daily (my choice, of course). It felt like a HIPPA violation asking my doc to write out the reasons explaining why I can’t be vaccinated for a cruise line….
I love children but I deserve a vacation too 😂

I’m disappointed but it’s obviously something out of my hands. Venting session over lol 

4 hours ago, smilechav said:

Dang, so sorry for your cousin. It’s unfair, though I understand the (CYA) reasons behind it. It makes those who truly can’t get vaccinated feel like social pariahs. I just had covid too, so I most definitely have more antibodies than all those due for boosters. That’s the idiotic part of it. I’m a critical care nurse and worked all throughout the heights of the pandemic. When no one knew what Covid was I was caring for these patients, so it’s just frustrating that now being vaccinated is being held against me, when it was perfectly okay for me to risk my life daily (my choice, of course). It felt like a HIPPA violation asking my doc to write out the reasons explaining why I can’t be vaccinated for a cruise line….
I love children but I deserve a vacation too 😂

I’m disappointed but it’s obviously something out of my hands. Venting session over lol 

Thank you for this. She is a physical therapist working for a small private practice so thankfully kept her job through all the mandate nonsense. Having an autoimmune disease, she was the first in line to jump for a vaccine due to fears, but her drs said no…. Inflammatory vaccine response would be too high a risk for her. 😓 hopefully, things can change for her soon.

It kind of seems like the CDC's recommendations for a high number (95%) of vaccinated guests made perfect sense through Delta, because for the most part, the vaccination actually prevented spread. I am vaxxed, boosted and also have recently recovered from Omicron.  I understand that the vaccine does help prevent serious disease from those who get Covid and this alone would make any business want to CYA.  It would just be nice if the recommendations were actually based on science and the goal was transparent.  With Omicron and now BA2, having zero cases isn't really feasible if cruises are still going to happen.  Europe is seeing another spike and we may as well.  Like someone else said, they definitely want to take advantage of the current low numbers and pack the ships full.  I would really like to be able to get off this roller coaster, because it seems like reality keeps getting reinvented based on what "they" want to be true.  And...with my mini rant done, I have to admit that my comfort level is increased with the more vaxxed people on board, even if it's a comfort level based on false pretense.  Ugh. I'm curious about how the cruises went for previous posters.