First Time Cruiser

Hi 

We sailed Navigator earlier this month. With capacity being on lower side, the ship wasn't crowded at all. We're local with Mexico being next door so we stayed on the ship and pretty much had the pool deck to ourselves. In general, staying on any ship during a port stop will have less people on board. I remember some of the retail shops were closed during port but the eateries like Windjammer El Loco Fresh, Playmakers, Cafe Promenade were open. 

Like Matt said, the best thing to do is look at a recent cruise compass.  Rarely will there be a huge change. I think they keep it similar according to the sailing. 

When you're onboard, they'll have cruise compases at Guest Services. For some reason, we didn't get them in our stateroom like usual. If you don't get yours, just ask your stateroom attendant or a quick walk to Guest Services. 

Have fun on your cruise!!

On 2/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, Ashlynne Shrewsbury said:

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in April (Navigator of the Seas). What should we be expecting the days to look like? How often are shows going on? Can you stay on the ship when we port in Ensenada? Is everything on the ship still going on while most people go on excursions?

On my first cruise, the only thing that was confusing/frustrating was dining because the muster drill was scheduled during our dinner seating.  Royal doesn't do that anymore, so I don't think you'll have problems.  Generally, the ship is "vacant" on port days if you stay on the ship, which offers you uncrowded use of the pool and other amenities.  I have found sea days the only "boring" times, which is why I pack a book or chess set.  We have talked to cruisers who never leave the ship as they have been to the available ports multiple times -- they just chill.  There are lots of odd events on a cruise, like wine tasting, destination lectures, T-shirt sales.  You need to try bingo once but then that gets old.  Ditto for the shopping presentations - try a raffle ticket or two just for fun, but don't be disappointed if you don't win.  We have always enjoyed music on our cruises, whether we dance or just listen.  In the end, you can be highly scheduled or just go-with-the-flow, depending upon your personality and interests.  There is something for everyone, just not all of the time.  Have a great cruise!  Using the Royal App on your cell phone or stopping by a touch screen display (located throughout the ship) will enable you to find what's going on at any moment.

19 hours ago, Ashlynne Shrewsbury said:

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in April (Navigator of the Seas). What should we be expecting the days to look like? How often are shows going on? Can you stay on the ship when we port in Ensenada? Is everything on the ship still going on while most people go on excursions?

Navigator of the Seas is an awesome ship, she was amplified recently taking her from great to awesome. Even though Navigator isn't the biggest or newest ship Royal has still managed to pack a ton of fun things to do into the ship.  There is literally something for everyone to do an enjoy on Navigator. On days when you are at sea the cruise compass if filled it all sorts of activities taking place around the ship, however when the ship is in port there are less onboard activities as there are less people onboard but there are still things to do onboard.  And yes you can stay onboard the ship in any and/or every port of call.  If you want to go up to the pool deck soak up some sun and enjoy some bar drinks on a day when the ship is in port you most certainly can. The spa is also open on port day and there are other things you can do onboard while the ship is in port. As far as show are concerned there are all sorts of shows some take place in the theater, others take place in Studio B (the onboard ice skating rink which you can also use when cast members are not using it for rehearsal), late night comedy shows, live music, dancing the night away at the club.  There is just as much fun going on at night onboard as there is during the day.

You have chosen a awesome ship and a great cruise for your first cruise, have fun and enjoy yourself.    

16 hours ago, Ashlynne Shrewsbury said:

How close to our ship date will our cruise compass be available?

It wont. Best you can do is look at the Royal Caribbean app and see some activities loaded up in the last few days before you board.  However, the activities and times  you see in the app are not always accurate.

Looking at a past Cruise Compass gives  you a pretty good idea of what to expect.