Vax only areas, any changes?

micahd

We will be sailing on one of the first mask-optional cruises this Friday. We are brining our 8-month old who is not vaxed.

Is there anything in the new protocols about changing vaccinated only areas? Especially in the MDR, it would make things easier for our traveling companions. I'm not interested making anyone uncomfortable or breaking any rules, just curious if any of that stuff is changing with the mask rules.

54 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they got rid of the "vax only" area concept.

15 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I hope not

If the ship is >90% vaccinated (95% of adults, close to that number older kids, unvaccinated under 5) what difference does having a vax only area serve?

Time for it to go away (and the silly vaccinated bracelets with it).

I don't know how I feel about those areas at this point. They were a lifeline for me during my cruise on the first return-to-service (revenue) Oasis of the Seas. My anxiety was way out of control (that's since been addressed), so it was panic-panic-panic while being masked and going from the cabin to a vaccinated-only venue where I could unmask and calm down. So, when I embark on Symphony of the Seas in 10 days, I'm going to be relieved that I don't have to wear a mask for solely the reason of anxiety. However, if Royal Caribbean really still wants to encourage people to wear masks, keeping vaccinated-only zones where those people could feel more free to unmask might make sense, at least for some period of time.

I certainly see both sides. Personally I’d like the vax only areas to go away. Not having my time dining feels a bit frustrating. But, I understand why they want to keep in vax’d kids separate.

I guess we’ll see. Either way I’m just excited to be getting away on a ship for a week!

I haven’t cruised yet in the new era, but from what I’ve read, it seems many of the vaxxed and unvaxxed areas are in the same rooms, just different levels? Since the virus is airborne, they are just being performative if this is the case. Either the new filtration systems they put in are good enough to truly clean the air, in which case no need to be separate, or they are not that good. In which case it doesn’t matter what section you are in, you’re still breathing the same air everyone else is exhaling into. The idea that the virus would stick to a certain area of a room is just silly. 

it’s my understanding though, that the new air systems are that good so I’m choosing not to worry. And I say that as someone who does not eat indoors at restaurants yet on land. 

I find these posts so troubling, personally. We've been all over the world in the last year plus.  Life is too short to be obsessed about Covid, especially now that the virus is doing what they all do with time:  They become less virulent. Get back to life, folks.  It's important. And, in case you are interested, I'm a molecular biologist.