Alaska wants cruises to be able to bypass Canada in 2022 too

barbeyg

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2022/02/18/bill-from-alaskas-congressional-delegation-would-allow-cruises-to-bypass-canada-ports-again/

“Alaskans cannot gamble again on the goodwill and commonsense of our Canadian neighbors, who failed us last year,” Sullivan said in a statement announcing the bill.

10 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

The only port on our May trip where we have booked excursions is Victoria. The only replacement port that would be a break even for us if if they added Sitka. Neither Ketchikan nor Icy Strait Point would be. 

I lost Sitka when I changed ships. I'm bummed about that.  I was assured we'd get up there frequently once we retire and move to Washington State, so I was placated. 

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I booked with Air2Sea specifically for the unknowns of Canadian cruising

“Alaskans cannot gamble again on the goodwill and commonsense of our Canadian neighbors, who failed us last year,” Sullivan said in a statement announcing the bill.

I didn't as this didn't even creep into my mind that Alaska would seek an extention to the exemption. Politically, I love it. Logistically, hate it.

The bill isn’t to skip Canada just to skip Canada …….. the bill is to allow Alaska cruises to STILL happen from Seattle to Alaska without a stop in Canada IF AND ONLY IF Canada goes crazy again and bans cruises out of their ports in 2022. Everyone sailing to Alaska this summer should be cheering this bill on and hoping it will pass because if it doesn’t and Canada doesn’t allow cruise ships in their ports again this year, all Alaska cruises will be CANCELLED.

26 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

The bill isn’t to skip Canada just to skip Canada …….. the bill is to allow Alaska cruises to STILL happen from Seattle to Alaska without a stop in Canada IF AND ONLY IF Canada goes crazy again and bans cruises out of their ports in 2022. Everyone sailing to Alaska this summer should be cheering this bill on and hoping it will pass because if it doesn’t and Canada doesn’t allow cruise ships in their ports again this year, all Alaska cruises will be CANCELLED.

Well our Prime Minister IS going crazy right now so anything is possible 😞

There was already talk about making a new version of ATRA permanent.  If Canada does impact the Alaska cruise season in 2022 you can bet there will be a renewed effort to make it permanent.  

A permanent change isn't a bad idea and doesn't mean all Alaska cruising must bypass Canada but it prevents a foreign country from wreaking havoc with the industry for whatever whimsical reason a foreign country might try to do so.

9 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

because if it doesn’t and Canada doesn’t allow cruise ships in their ports again this year, all Alaska cruises will be CANCELLED.

Yeppers.  Or at the very least, the first part of the season (when we are trying for a third time to take my oldest sister and aunt to AK) will be a washout.  🙁  I would rather see this bill pass, just in case.  

When our lovely Federal Health Dept announced revised testing requirements to come back to Canada(dropping the PCR), they did mention the federal Transport Minister was to announce the guidelines & protocols for the cruising industry in the following weeks. (March time frame)

I assume they are ready to open the Ports in Canada..

1 hour ago, KenCP said:

Looks like it is full steam ahead for Canadian ports so far.

310 cruise ship visits scheduled for Canada Place in Vancouver in 2020

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-cruise-ship-schedule-canada-place-2022

I am so excited to be able to go down to Canada place to see cruise ships again! When (if) the first ship arrives on April 7 it will have been 30 months (2.5 years) since a cruise ship last docked at Canada place 😮

So they've gone back and forth on the vaccination thing, but will now allow under 12 years of age to be unvaccinated.  Here's the wording that confuses me:

"In addition, Canada will require passengers to take a Covid-19 molecular test within 72 hours (or an antigen test within one day) of boarding a ship departing from Canada or calling at a Canadian port. Crew members and passengers will be required to self-monitor for symptoms."

We leave Boston and have a few days of cruising before hitting a Canadian port (all of which would be outside of the 72 hour PCR or 1 day antigen test).

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6805/

6 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

So they've gone back and forth on the vaccination thing, but will now allow under 12 years of age to be unvaccinated.  Here's the wording that confuses me:

"In addition, Canada will require passengers to take a Covid-19 molecular test within 72 hours (or an antigen test within one day) of boarding a ship departing from Canada or calling at a Canadian port. Crew members and passengers will be required to self-monitor for symptoms."

We leave Boston and have a few days of cruising before hitting a Canadian port (all of which would be outside of the 72 hour PCR or 1 day antigen test).

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Canada-relents-on-100-percent-vaccination-rate-for-cruise-ships

I was just reading up on this. It appears Canada is sticking to its ridiculous policy that anyone stepping off a cruise ship in Canada will require a test. So cruise lines will either need to provide testing for all passengers or bypass Canadian ports as much as possible. If I was running the business I would bypass Canada as much as possible. 

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So for cruises out of Vancouver, RC will have to offer tests to everyone on the last day to be able to get off the ship.

That’s how I interpret it. It may still make financial sense for the ships sailing out of Vancouver because the extra homeport allows them to carry a lot more passengers to Alaska. However, if the Alaskan senators can get the PSVA exemption extended for another summer it would make no sense to stop in Victoria if you have test all passengers.

20 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

That’s how I interpret it. It may still make financial sense for the ships sailing out of Vancouver because the extra homeport allows them to carry a lot more passengers to Alaska. However, if the Alaskan senators can get the PSVA exemption extended for another summer it would make no sense to stop in Victoria if you have test all passengers.

Maybe that's something they dangle over Canada. "If everyone needs tested to get off the ship, we ain't coming"

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Maybe that's something they dangle over Canada. "If everyone needs tested to get off the ship, we ain't coming"

I’d like to think that would help but unfortunately trying to rationalize with the Canadian government is like trying to rationalize with a toddler. Don’t come at them with facts or common sense, it just confuses them 🙄

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I’d like to think that would help but unfortunately trying to rationalize with the Canadian government is like trying to rationalize with a toddler. Don’t come at them with facts or common sense, it just confuses them 🙄

Unfortunately, government works the same way here too. 😕