Cell phone settings

Airplane mode. That's it.

This usually turns off wifi, too, but you can turn wifi back on after going into airplane mode. Wifi is needed on ship to use the app even if you don't purchase any internet plans.

If you're near or in port and want to use your cell carrier's international plan, you can safely go out of airplane mode since the cruise ship turns off its cellular stuff within 12 miles of shore.

56 minutes ago, 1978bucketlist said:

It’s finally 14 days until my cruise🥰. It’s been soooo long since I’ve been on a cruise that I’ve forgotten how to set my phone settings. Can you help me please. I would hate to get roaming charges.

Turn it off and lock it in the safe until you get back to the home port. Don't use it at all on the ship.

Before the app was a thing, turning it off and putting it in the safe was the way I was taught. But since smart phones and apps, you can simply throw it in airplane mode and then go back into settings and turn wi-fi on. This will let you connect to the free ship's wi-fi to use the app. If you want to do anything else on the web outside of the app you'll need an internet package.

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

How do you use the RCCL app for dining and activity reservations then? I guess one could use the public tablet terminals and the in-room tv, but really?

I don't use the phone at all...I make reservations using the phone in the room by calling the box office takes about 5 min to reserve all the shows for the week.

That is for covid... before covid I had all the shows reserved months in advance. My dining and drinks for Dec 2022 is already booked did not pick up the phone once to do it.

6 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I don't use the phone at all...I make reservations using the phone in the room by calling the box office takes about 5 min to reserve all the shows for the week.

That is for covid... before covid I had all the shows reserved months in advance. My dining and drinks for Dec 2022 is already booked did not pick up the phone once to do it.

And pictures/videos? Do you bring a separate camera? I don't even have one. I take pictures with my phone.

25 minutes ago, Lexster said:

And pictures/videos? Do you bring a separate camera? I don't even have one. I take pictures with my phone.

Yes, I use a camera. There is to much important info on my phone to loose if I lost it, was stolen, or damaged. My camera is an underwater camera and takes very good pictures and videos and is completely waterproof especially in saltwater.

I have always had the firm rule to have the right tool for the job. I am sure you would not want me to remove your spleen with a steak knife. I could but a scalpel would be a better choice. 🙂👨‍⚕️ 

20 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Yes, I use a camera. There is to much important info on my phone to loose if I lost it, was stolen, or damaged. My camera is an underwater camera and takes very good pictures and videos and is completely waterproof especially in saltwater.

I have always had the firm rule to have the right tool for the job. I am sure you would not want me to remove your spleen with a steak knife. I could but a scalpel would be a better choice. 🙂👨‍⚕️ 

Glad to know I'm not the only one who still takes camera out for pics. I will use my phone camera onboard occasionally, but the second I'm stepping off, my phone gets turned off completely, shoved in a secret pocket in my bag and out comes my 2005 point and shoot camera. Lol.

22 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

iPhones connect to iCloud and backup your phone on a pretty frequent basis (at least once a week) I just got a new iPhone, logged into my account then waited for everything to download to my new phone from the iCloud backup. It was pretty easy and all my pictures were there
I'm not familiar with Google phones but I would imagine it's pretty similar

5 minutes ago, CruisingSteve said:

iPhones connect to iCloud and backup your phone on a pretty frequent basis (at least once a week) I just got a new iPhone, logged into my account then waited for everything to download to my new phone from the iCloud backup. It was pretty easy and all my pictures were there

I will never use Apple products! IPhones and Apple products are for hippies. 🙂

22 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

That is a completely legitimate response.

However, your analogy is a little attenuated.  To analogize the average cruiser to a surgeon is a stretch.  Most cruisers, and most people now, aren't taking photographs as their profession and smart phone photos are more than adequate, if not excellent quality. 

• 2 months later...

Have anyone tried making phone calls when in airplane mode, having turned on "WIFI Calling" in settings and having only the VOOM Surf package? Does that work at all or is the connection on VOOM Surf pacakges to slowfor this? (So I dont need to buy Voom Surf+Stream if I dont have to.)

43 minutes ago, MrHaga said:

Have anyone tried making phone calls when in airplane mode, having turned on "WIFI Calling" in settings and having only the VOOM Surf package? Does that work at all or is the connection on VOOM Surf pacakges to slowfor this? (So I dont need to buy Voom Surf+Stream if I dont have to.)

I do this all of the time, although I've never had just the Surf package.

Not related to roaming, there is another setting you should turn off. the automatically "Set date and time" button should be turned off.

If you end up in a port that is in a different time zone than "ShipTime" your I-phone will automatically jump to new time zone.

Becomes a problem when All aboard is 4:30 (ship time) and you think you've got an extra hour because your I-phone shows 3:30 (local time)🕟🕞😳👋🛳️