Change in pre cruise testing timeframe

I’ve just seen on YouTube that Carnival have changed their pre cruise covid test requirements. From March 1st, if you have received your booster that you can do your pre cruise covid test up to 3 days before departure instead of 2 days. I looked it up on their website and it seems to be true!

Does anyone know if this is a change in the CDC rules or just a change in the Carnival rules? If it’s a change in the CDC rules I really hope Royal implements this.

I’m coming from Ireland for a cruise in April and this would mean we could do our test needed to enter the U.S the morning of our flight and use the same test for our cruise. 

The screenshot below is from the Carnival website

image.thumb.png.0ff60123c82948b2ea79d2104a15bb91.png

Keep in mind being "up to date" is defined as receiving as booster if eligible.

From the CDC Operations Manual

For CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships, the following criteria should be used when evaluating if a traveler is up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines:

Date of booster eligibility: A traveler becomes eligible to receive a booster dose 5 months after they have completed their primary series of an mRNA vaccine, or 2 months after a single dose of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen (J&J/Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine.

“Up to date” status: If an eligible traveler has not received a booster dose but is within 6 months after completing their primary series of an mRNA vaccine, or within 3 months after a J&J/Janssen single dose, then they can be considered up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines. If it has been more than 6 months since a traveler completed their primary series of an mRNA vaccine, or more than 3 months since a traveler’s single dose J&J/Janssen vaccine, the traveler is not considered up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines.

Example for mRNA vaccines (Pfizer BioNTech/Moderna): Traveler A received their second Pfizer BioNTech/Moderna dose on January 1, 2022, the traveler can be considered up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines until July 1, 2022. If Traveler A does not get a booster by July 1, 2022, then they will not be considered up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines.

Example for J&J/Janssen vaccine: Traveler B received their J&J/Janssen dose on January 1, 2022, then the traveler can be considered up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines until April 1, 2022. If Traveler A does not get a booster by April 1, 2022, then they will not be considered up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines.

5 hours ago, JDawg said:

I don’t think this will make much of a difference to most people.  I am vaccinated and boosted, my wife is vaccinated but not boosted.  She is not going to get the booster just to get a test one day earlier.  If it was to eliminate the need to get a test she probably would.

Yes you are probably right. As most cruisers who cruise from the U.S are based in the U.S.

For many people who are travelling into the U.S for a cruise it will mean they will just have to do one test instead of 2 which is nice from a hassle and cost perspective. 

We paid a good amount of money for a cruise. The testing thing still gives me anxiety even though my family is vaccinated and up to date on boosters.  The extra day would help because we are flying into our port city and I have no intentions of testing after I get off of a crowded airplane full of people breathing the same air for 3 hours.  Don't want to take any chances.

1 hour ago, ChessE4 said:

The extra day could be helpful if flying overseas early for a pre-cruise hotel stay.  It would be nice to get tested in the US instead of a foreign airport...

As things stand you need a negative test to enter the United States so we have to do a test in Ireland before boarding our flight. Our flight from Ireland is on a Thursday and our cruise is on the Sunday. So If the testing rule is changed from 2 days to 3 days we can do our test in Dublin Airport Thursday morning and the results of this test would do for us to enter the United States and for our cruise. So I really hope it’s changed to 3 days! 

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

We paid a good amount of money for a cruise. The testing thing still gives me anxiety even though my family is vaccinated and up to date on boosters.  The extra day would help because we are flying into our port city and I have no intentions of testing after I get off of a crowded airplane full of people breathing the same air for 3 hours.  Don't want to take any chances.

We feel the same way. It would be so nice to be able to do our test before our flight and not have to test again when we arrive. Our flight is around 9 hours so I understand your worry. 

I don't complain that a very long flight with multiple connections is the awfullest thing, but having to get to a cruise port a day early makes it hard to be assured test results will be timely, and there's no way to get a test on a travel day.

For example... We will be tested this Thursday.  We will fly from the West Coast very early Friday, arriving at the port city late in the day, hoping the results will catch up to us, before we board the ship on Saturday. There's nothing pro-active we can do on Friday, traveling to, and being in and out of three airports and two different airplanes.  It will be 14 hours from the time we leave our house and hopefully check into our motel at the other end. 

If the requirements would change, allowing the test 3-days before the cruise, it would be far less stressful.  

I know many folks have had great luck with the big-box pharmacies administering the test, but for whatever reason, out here, it's very difficult to get the test from them, as they are overwhelmed, and even then, their best promise is they hope to get us the results in 48-72 hours.  

All the more reason a three-day grace period would benefit those of us that are traveling long distances against the clock.

10 hours ago, Portcruiser said:

Royal Caribbean already announced if you are vaccinated you will now be able to get your Covid test three days prior to sailing

Did I miss that, their website says vacinated passengers must be tested no more than 2 days before boarding

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

13 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I don't complain that a very long flight with multiple connections is the awfullest thing, but having to get to a cruise port a day early makes it hard to be assured test results will be timely, and there's no way to get a test on a travel day.

Long flight trapped inside an airplane full of people equals potential exposure before testing for cruise.  

If you have another day, then it may allow you to test before getting on the plane.  

On 2/22/2022 at 10:02 AM, CruisingNewb said:

I agree the three day to test would be less stress but it’s not been shown that you will test positive within 24 hours of exposure to a positive person.  If anything testing 3 days prior to sailing opens the window for more onboard positive cases as people will be traveling, partying, working, daily life things , within those 3days after testing.

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

I agree the three day to test would be less stress but it’s not been shown that you will test positive within 24 hours of exposure to a positive person.  

While that may be, if I get an additional day to test prior to boarding the cruise ship, which in turn allows me to test an additional day prior to getting on that plane, and then test positive, I can also avoid the flight altogether.  Double elimination.  Make sense?  (as I type this response, I'm not sure it does. lol)

15 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

While that may be, if I get an additional day to test prior to boarding the cruise ship, which in turn allows me to test an additional day prior to getting on that plane, and then test positive, I can also avoid the flight altogether.  Double elimination.  Make sense?  (as I type this response, I'm not sure it does. lol)

My thoughts exactly, if I can get tested at Heathrow and can use the same result to board the ship, saves me being stranded in Florida should I test positive between the flight and boarding, definitely a win.