Flying into IAH for cruise in Galveston

stobrien

Have to agree is width being close to the port. Depending on the departure day Houston could be tough to get across. Last cruise I went on I drove down and stayed near Kemah TX since it was a little cheaper than staying on Galveston Island but I wouldn't want to be much further north of that area. 

If you stay on Galveston Island I believe that a few of the places have a shuttle service that can drop off near the terminal but Uber or Lyft are options. I know that there are also some places that rent the little 4 person utv's if you get down there early and want to explore a little bit. 

We went in January and broke with our conventional wisdom of staying near the port and stayed in downtown Houston (pre and post cruise). Hilton americas and downtown embassy suites and took a private shuttle at 1030 am for a noon check in and were early (Sunday had no traffic). Downtown Houston was neat and you could walk everywhere. Friends had told us Galveston in winter wasn't great and not walker friendly or transport friendly since it only needs ubers/taxi's one or two day a week it's not a robust industry, but their experiences were pre-pandemic.

We enjoyed it with one exception, our return to the hotel was unknowingly during the houston marathon and our hotel was the finish line so the streets were blocked off for about two blocks in all direction. Our driver dropped us as close as he could get us and we all had to take our luggage a few blocks through a crowd, but it's a funny story now.

Some of our group cam in more than one day ahead and some stayed more than a night after so it was more about entertainment, dining and things to do than proximity for us as we faced flight disruptions and cancellations due to the Omicron peak. None of which will apply to you.