Port Tampa Bay question

DunwoodyDad

We’ve never sailed out of Tampa Bay before and I’m researching for my oldest daughter going with her friends for college spring break in March. They procrastinated getting a check-in time (yes, I repeatedly told her…) and got 1:30 but have an 11:00 checkout time from their hotel and will be ubering. With strict check-in times, what are the recommendations to fill that time?  I’m thinking late breakfast either near the hotel and then get in the Uber a little after 1 or going to the port right at 11, dropping off luggage (can they do this early?), and then walking to somewhere for late breakfast.  It looks like it’s possible to walk from the port to coffee shops, etc. is that true?  Thanks in advance!

When my wife and I recently had to check out at 11am with a 1pm check in time, we hung out in the lobby and read for a while.  

Here’s another idea…not knowing the Tampa area…they could leave their bags with the hotel and grab a bite, then come back to get their bags and go to the port. 

I am surprised that the port refused the luggage. I haven't had anyone ask about my check-in time at the luggage drop stage, but have not sailed Tampa since restart so its possible that's a Tampa thing.

The port is next to the aquarium and has a tram line running out front that would take them to other nearby areas with coffee shops, etc. but if they cant dump their luggage that makes it much harder to relax and enjoy.

(Note, I live in the Tampa are but don't cruise out of Tampa often so are knowledge is better than port knowledge)