Mal de barquement syndrome

SpeedNoodles

"After you return home from a cruise, it’s normal to feel like you’re still at sea for a short time. You may lay down to sleep or stand in the shower and feel like the floor is moving and your body is swaying, rocking and bobbing. Within a day or so, your land legs likely will return and the symptoms will disappear.

However, for a rare few returning vacationers, this persistent sensation of motion or dizziness can continue for weeks or even longer. The disorder is called mal de debarquement syndrome."

"Can You Prevent It?

There's no sure way.  If you've  had mal de barquement syndrome before, it's probably best to stay away from the type of motion that brought it on."

Ummmmmm, wouldn't it be best to just do the type of creates the type of motion that brought it on ALL OF THE TIME????

#notgonnastopcruising

#askingforafriend

2 hours ago, Murmer said:

I have this! I don't get sea sick on the ship but as soon as I get off (including excursions) I end up with dizziness and nausea. I have found that if I take sea sickness pills (Bonine) and take ginger I am able to keep it at bay. 

None of that works for me.  It lasts at least 3-4 weeks every time.

I definitely feel odd when on land after being on the ship for a while.  A lot of times I make it worse because I then go for a ride and get on a boat and then hop in the water for a few hours.  I think a major reason for me is because I feel the motion of the ship even in light seas.  I really noticed it on my recent B2B because while sitting down I could feel the ship rock back and forth less than a degree of movement and my girlfriend looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forehead when I kept saying I was feeling motion.  I eventually ended up grabbing my phone and pulled out my level app.  We watched the ship rock back and forth about .5 degrees total while sitting in the promenade at Sorento's.  I even noticed that I walked along like I was drunk because I felt the motion so much.  On a couple days where motion was closer to 3 degrees while walking along on deck 4 on the outside I was weaving back and forth as much as 6 feet due to the motion.

It lasts for about 4 or 5 days for me usually but I am ok to drive and actually after the last one I got home and was working on the roof of the house and that is about 33 degrees of angle.  I think it's actually worse while I lay in bed but thankfully I have a couple things I take that pretty well knock me out though one of them also makes me feel like I am moving around a bit anyway.

It’s almost like a form of Vertigo, yet not as long lasting.  A form of Physical Therapy called manual therapy can help treat Vertigo so it should help with this as well if you deal with it for extended periods of time post cruise.  You have to do a little research to find a Phys Therapist who specializes in manual therapy as any PT who places their hands on the body (meaning all of them) can claim they’re doing manual therapy.   But if Vertigo can be treated through PT this can be as well.

1 hour ago, TMatl said:

It’s almost like a form of Vertigo, yet not as long lasting.  A form of Physical Therapy called manual therapy can help treat Vertigo so it should help with this as well if you deal with it for extended periods of time post cruise.  You have to do a little research to find a Phys Therapist who specializes in manual therapy as any PT who places their hands on the body (meaning all of them) can claim they’re doing manual therapy.   But if Vertigo can be treated through PT this can be as well.

It is what it is.  Just something I just put up with for 4-6 weeks after every cruise.

Something similar that I deal with when driving on long trips is when I go to try and sleep i have flashes of driving on the interstate and feel the motion. After being on a ship for 2 weeks last year the dive home was a very interesting feeling and trying to sleep that night after driving from Galveston to up by Tulsa I was not only feeling the ship but also the road.

Anything over a couple hours of driving I feel that way and driving all day two days in a row is really bad. I left from the San Francisco area and drove down to Phoenix overnight then crashed till the next morning and left from there to head towards Oklahoma city. And another time I left from Oklahoma city and drove to Phoenix, left from Phoenix and drove overnight to get through Los Angeles and slept for a few hours then drove up the PCH to San Francisco which was a monster drive. The trip back home that time was from San Francisco to Reno across towards Denver on highway 50 or 51... can never remember the exact number then from Denver towards Guymon OK and finally down to Oklahoma city. It was a long trip each time and for a couple days while trying to sleep I kept have flashes of driving.  

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2022 at 8:57 PM, TMatl said:

I also take a day or two to find my sea legs.  I also will occasionally get Vertigo. The last time I got vertigo, my doctor introduced me to Benign Paroxysmal Positional Veritago procedure.  For my vertigo, I need to know which ear is affected and I do the procedure for just the affected side.  But I think for mal de barquement syndrome, you may need to repeat the exercise for both ears.  See the attachment - it is for the right ear.   Repeat 3 times for each ear. WARNING: Initial treatment will feel miserable.  But it does help.  After doing this a couple times a day for 2 or 3 days, the vertigo went away.  Good luck!

120699126_BenignParoxysmalPositionalVeritago.jpg.ebb55623b995d40533e24b89b8a2c56e.jpg