Passport CARD vs regular passport

Kellyrich

My husband and I have current passports.

17 year old daughter has a license and birth certificate, which I'm told is enough for her.

14 year old son has a birth certificate....is a passport CARD sufficient?  I've heard that it is and the price is much cheaper than a regular passport.

We are going on our first cruise in June on the Independence of the Sea!

Passport cards can be used exclusively to cruise without a BC or DL (also for driving to Canada & Mexico).  

Passport cards cannot be used to fly internationally.  The cards only work at sea and land border crossings.  

If you are going to acquire a passport card you should consider a passport book at the higher cost.

If there was ever an issue during the cruise and you needed to fly home, BC/DL or the passport card do NOT allow you to fly home.  You also never know what may lay ahead in the years to come.  Investing in a passport book now may be a better investment.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Passport cards can be used exclusively to cruise without a BC or DL (also for driving to Canada & Mexico).  

Passport cards cannot be used to fly internationally.  The cards only work at sea and land border crossings.  

If you are going to acquire a passport card you should consider a passport book at the higher cost.

If there was ever an issue during the cruise and you needed to fly home, BC/DL or the passport card do NOT allow you to fly home.  You also never know what may lay ahead in the years to come.  Investing in a passport book now may be a better investment.

Just keep in mind that when he turns 16 he will have to get another passport.  My Granddaughter just turned 16 and had to get a new one.  The under 16 passports are only good for 5 years and luckily she got 5 years out of it.

10 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

Just keep in mind that when he turns 16 he will have to get another passport.  My Granddaughter just turned 16 and had to get a new one.  The under 16 passports are only good for 5 years and luckily she got 5 years out of it.

Passports issued to anyone under 16 are valid for 5 years. 

Passports issued to 16 and over are valid for 10 years.

Passport do not expire automatically at age 16.  If she needed a new passport, it was because the 5 year timer was running out.

31 minutes ago, Kellyrich said:

Maybe I should have included that we are sailing from Port Canaveral to Nassau and Coco Cay.

Doesn't change the answer.  You don't NEED any form of passport to do a closed loop cruise in the Caribbean as long as everything goes according to plan.  The problem is if something happens and you get separated from the ship, the only way to fly home internationally is with a real Passport Book.  It may be a really small risk but it is a risk and only you can decide if you're comfortable with that risk.