Jump to content

Changes to awarding RoyalUps - can anyone verify this?


Recommended Posts

I saw this posted on another site regarding changes to when RoyalUp might be awarded. Can anyone here verify or speak to this? Interesting if true:

"They are changing RoyalUp to go until Embarkation Day and you can bid up to 3 hours before the ship leaves port. Final notices aren't being sent out until AFTER the ship leaves port. If you go to Guest Services, they will give you a card telling you to place a bid for RoyalUp. It was rolled out on the Odyssey this sailing and is rolling out fleetwide now."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I thought this was specific to people requesting onboard room upgrades.

That was an example that someone posted, but it kind of makes sense.  If they are going with RoyalUp for onboard upgrades why not bring all the pre-arrival bids into the mix as well?  

So many people not showing up the terminal, like 200-300 sometimes.  Why throw out all those early RoyaUp bids?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I thought this was specific to people requesting onboard room upgrades.

From what people are saying Royal is changing it due to all of the passengers flooding guest services asking for upgrades. I have no idea if this is true, which is why I am asking you guys. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It makes sense to me.  Pre-shutdown there were few rooms available so you would often see a sign "No Upgrades Available".

Now they can post a sign "Scan this QR code to bid on an upgrade".

Leaves the GS crew available to do the normal day one stuff and it covers the no show at the pier types so less lost revenue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can confirm i got an email on Friday while waiting in line to board Indy reminding me of the "great deals on upgrades still available".

i didn't do anything with said email, since it was just a weekend cruise anyway, so i cant say what would have happened if i bid but i was definitely being offered the opportunity.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can only speak from my recent experience on Anthem where we not only won a Royal UP to a grand suite from a balcony guarantee then once onboard was able to score another upgrade to the owners suite by going to guest services and requesting an upgrade after departure.  What I can tell you from my experience is this in total for an 11 night cruise we paid (this includes the royal up and the upgrade onboard) $7,100 total far less than what an owners suite was going for and the price we  paid for our onboard upgrade from the grand to the owners suite was less than what Royal Up wanted per person. We paid only $900 dollars total onboard to upgrade from a grand to an owners suite.  I'm sure there were people with Royal Up bids who were probably offering $1,400 dollars per person or more to upgrade into an owners suite but their bid wasn't accepted yet guest services gave us the room for $900 dollars total. 

By keeping and then awarding Royal Up bids even after departure it will not only free up guest services but it is a way for Royal to make more money off a room than they otherwise would by having guest go to guest services. It was only a matter of time before Royal wised up and realized they are practically giving suites away when guest upgrade onboard at guest services, when she told us $900 dollars total for the owners suite my husband and I didn't hesitate we were like we will take it, it was a steal of a deal, but that would not have happened if they we're going off Royal Up bids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking this would be for whatever upgrades are available on embarkation day. Rather than first come/first serve at Guest Services, they would maximize profits by allowing bidding on what's available at that time. This wouldn't change the usual RoyalUp bidding process, just streamline the chaotic rush at Guest Services on day 1. Any more info on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Makes sense that Royal would do this.   Further cements my belief that the good cruise early upgrade mojo going around last month is gone.  

Wouldn't last minute upgrades be a headache for the porters?  Or Genies if you are Star Class?

 

 

Genies will know your cabin change the second you do.  A 24 hour upgrade or a same day upgrade for a Genie is about the same, you'll miss out on the pre-cruise questionnaire benefits either way.

Zero impact to porters.  Your luggage may sit outside the old cabin until you go find it with a boarding day upgrade though.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe on embarkation day they’ll just gather everyone who’s interested in upgrading inside Boleros or similar venue and hold a bidding war like the art auctions. “How much am I bid for this two bedroom Grand Suite? Going once! Going twice!…SOLD!..to the inebriated deluxe-drink-package-holder who doesn’t realize what he’s just done and his wife is going to be a soooo pisssssed!”🥴

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

Maybe on embarkation day they’ll just gather everyone who’s interested in upgrading inside Boleros or similar venue and hold a bidding war like the art auctions. “How much am I bid for this two bedroom Grand Suite? Going once! Going twice!…SOLD!..to the inebriated deluxe-drink-package-holder who doesn’t realize what he’s just done and his wife is going to be a soooo pisssssed!”🥴

As an additional potential revenue stream, I would definitely pay for a ticket to watch this auction happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All this makes sense because I leave in three days for our cruise and I have gotten several e-mails reminding me to bid for an upgrade.

I was actually going to post here to ask if anyone had any insight. In the past I have only ever gotten one e-mail to upgrade several weeks before the cruise.

I bid long ago and I am very curious if I will find out before we get to the port if any of my bids were accepted. Fingers crossed but I'm not feeling confident anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BrianB said:

Maybe on embarkation day they’ll just gather everyone who’s interested in upgrading inside Boleros or similar venue and hold a bidding war like the art auctions. “How much am I bid for this two bedroom Grand Suite? Going once! Going twice!…SOLD!

FINALLY! An on board auction I would actually attend for the entertainment value alone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my problem:  We have a balcony stateroom. We bought the Deluxe Beverage Package, and the Key.  The beverage package barely makes sense for us. However, if we were to be upgraded to a suite (other than Junior, which we didn't bid on), we probably wouldn't need either of those, right?  We would also pack 2 bottles of wine to have, if we didn't have the beverage package. 

We can only cancel these and get a refund up to 2 days before the departure.  Otherwise it's cruise credit, and who needs/uses $1200 in credit? So, at this point, we will probably remove our Royal bids the 2 days before the trip - or at least substantially discount them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With being able to bid on day 1, does it even make sense to bid on Royal Up in advance then? I'm confused what the best strategy would be to get upgraded. Do you bid in advance then increase/rebid on embarkation day? Any thoughts on what would make the most sense to get the best chance of an upgrade?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bill S said:

Here's my problem:  We have a balcony stateroom. We bought the Deluxe Beverage Package, and the Key.  The beverage package barely makes sense for us. However, if we were to be upgraded to a suite (other than Junior, which we didn't bid on), we probably wouldn't need either of those, right?  We would also pack 2 bottles of wine to have, if we didn't have the beverage package. 

We can only cancel these and get a refund up to 2 days before the departure.  Otherwise it's cruise credit, and who needs/uses $1200 in credit? So, at this point, we will probably remove our Royal bids the 2 days before the trip - or at least substantially discount them. 

I believe they will refund your drink package if you Royal up to a suite that has it included

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bill S said:

Here's my problem:  We have a balcony stateroom. We bought the Deluxe Beverage Package, and the Key.  The beverage package barely makes sense for us. However, if we were to be upgraded to a suite (other than Junior, which we didn't bid on), we probably wouldn't need either of those, right?  We would also pack 2 bottles of wine to have, if we didn't have the beverage package. 

We can only cancel these and get a refund up to 2 days before the departure.  Otherwise it's cruise credit, and who needs/uses $1200 in credit? So, at this point, we will probably remove our Royal bids the 2 days before the trip - or at least substantially discount them. 

First off if you are cruising in the next few months, I'd get a refund on the key regardless of if you get upgraded. Other than over Christmas, most ships are at a fraction of capacity right now, there are no lines. If your cruise is this summer or to Alaska, then it may very well feel like pre pandemic crowds so you have to make a decision. As far as the beverage package, if you aren't diamond and if your upgrade isn't to star class, it barely factors into the DBX. Grand and Owners suites only get you free drinks for an hour or two before dinner in the suite lounge, the rest of the time you are paying. If two drinks between 5 and 7pm are going to swing the math then maybe the DBX isn't for you either way. I had an OS and an GS and the suite lounge happy hour was only about 4 drinks total all week because it only works in a specific place for a short time. The free 4-5 drinks for diamond available anytime, anywhere and every day makes the math different but has no relationship to your room because diamond has a similar lounge. Unless I'm wrong, but I went to the cappachino machine in the suite lounge quite a few times and there was no staff or alcoholic drinks to be had outside of happy hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, Larry verdon said:

Can anyone clarify the Royal Caribbean process to get a covid rapid antigent test on the ship prior to disembarking to go on another RC cruise the same day ,next day or to fly home to Canada?

Can you repost this on one of the covid testing threads?  It's not related to RoyalUp.  Thanks, and WELCOME!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Temeculaguy said:

First off if you are cruising in the next few months, I'd get a refund on the key regardless of if you get upgraded. Other than over Christmas, most ships are at a fraction of capacity right now, there are no lines. If your cruise is this summer or to Alaska, then it may very well feel like pre pandemic crowds so you have to make a decision. As far as the beverage package, if you aren't diamond and if your upgrade isn't to star class, it barely factors into the DBX. Grand and Owners suites only get you free drinks for an hour or two before dinner in the suite lounge, the rest of the time you are paying. If two drinks between 5 and 7pm are going to swing the math then maybe the DBX isn't for you either way. I had an OS and an GS and the suite lounge happy hour was only about 4 drinks total all week because it only works in a specific place for a short time. The free 4-5 drinks for diamond available anytime, anywhere and every day makes the math different but has no relationship to your room because diamond has a similar lounge. Unless I'm wrong, but I went to the cappachino machine in the suite lounge quite a few times and there was no staff or alcoholic drinks to be had outside of happy hour.

Ships will be close to 90% over spring break in a few weeks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Temeculaguy said:

First off if you are cruising in the next few months, I'd get a refund on the key regardless of if you get upgraded. Other than over Christmas, most ships are at a fraction of capacity right now, there are no lines. If your cruise is this summer or to Alaska, then it may very well feel like pre pandemic crowds so you have to make a decision. As far as the beverage package, if you aren't diamond and if your upgrade isn't to star class, it barely factors into the DBX. Grand and Owners suites only get you free drinks for an hour or two before dinner in the suite lounge, the rest of the time you are paying. If two drinks between 5 and 7pm are going to swing the math then maybe the DBX isn't for you either way. I had an OS and an GS and the suite lounge happy hour was only about 4 drinks total all week because it only works in a specific place for a short time. The free 4-5 drinks for diamond available anytime, anywhere and every day makes the math different but has no relationship to your room because diamond has a similar lounge. Unless I'm wrong, but I went to the cappachino machine in the suite lounge quite a few times and there was no staff or alcoholic drinks to be had outside of happy hour.

1) The Key cost us $20 a day.  The Zoom/Stream package (which I need for work) is $18 a day.  For $2, I'll take the Key.

2) The Suite Lounge is SUPPOSED to be open from 11-11, with beer and wine.  That works for us, for the most part.  We are close to break even on the DBX.  We have it mostly for convenience, and it adds to our trip enjoyment not having to worry about it.  And we do like our non-alcoholic drinks too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 11:10 PM, Bill S said:

1) The Key cost us $20 a day.  The Zoom/Stream package (which I need for work) is $18 a day.  For $2, I'll take the Key.

2) The Suite Lounge is SUPPOSED to be open from 11-11, with beer and wine.  That works for us, for the most part.  We are close to break even on the DBX.  We have it mostly for convenience, and it adds to our trip enjoyment not having to worry about it.  And we do like our non-alcoholic drinks too. 

the Suite lounge is open most of the day, but alcohol is only free during their Happy Hour. At least this was how it was on Freedom earlier this month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I often check availability of whatever cruise I'm on by searching for it through the usual cruise finder site. When I just went to check earlier it said no available rooms for 4 guests. So does that mean that my RoyalUp bid is no longer an option if they have none available?

 

I'm still astonished that there are no 4 person rooms on the whole ship!! What the?!? Does that mean my cruise is almost at capacity? 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, sford75 said:

the Suite lounge is open most of the day, but alcohol is only free during their Happy Hour. At least this was how it was on Freedom earlier this month.

It's on the Oasis Class ships where you can get beer, wine, soda and water from 11a-11pm in the Suite Lounge. Then they also have the Happy Hour from 5-8pm where you can order from their Happy Hour menu list of alcohol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MamaG said:

I often check availability of whatever cruise I'm on by searching for it through the usual cruise finder site. When I just went to check earlier it said no available rooms for 4 guests. So does that mean that my RoyalUp bid is no longer an option if they have none available?

 

I'm still astonished that there are no 4 person rooms on the whole ship!! What the?!? Does that mean my cruise is almost at capacity? 😬

My 3/18 Wonder cruise is showing no rooms left for 4 people on RC’s website, but if you search for 2 people, there were several suites left that have a capacity of 4. I’m guessing they may be trying to limit children, but that’s just a guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

My 3/18 Wonder cruise is showing no rooms left for 4 people on RC’s website, but if you search for 2 people, there were several suites left that have a capacity of 4. I’m guessing they may be trying to limit children, but that’s just a guess.

I noticed that, too. I went back to check double occupancy and saw the same. I don't get that. Why would they want to turn away people booking for 4? Even many of the suites have 4 person availabilities. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MamaG said:

I noticed that, too. I went back to check double occupancy and saw the same. I don't get that. Why would they want to turn away people booking for 4? Even many of the suites have 4 person availabilities. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Could be that they’re concerned about the 95% vaccination level they signed on to with the CDC for these particular cruises.  Under 5 unvaccinated don’t count, but since RC still isn’t requiring vaccinations for 5-11 year olds, they may be hedging their bets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my daily price check, it won't let me enter more than 2 people (specifically, any children) to a cabin for a March cruise, even though I know there are rooms available that can hold 3.

So it may be a valid theory that they're attempting to limit potentially unvaccinated people on board.

 

image.png.d57572ef4e3cc05ceb8233fc030b081c.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, Larry verdon said:

Can anyone clarify the Royal Caribbean process to get a covid rapid antigent test on the ship prior to disembarking to go on another RC cruise the same day ,next day or to fly home to Canada?

For back-to-back cruises I know you get a test two days before you arrive back in port.  I *think* it is the same procedure for international air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Riley said:

For back-to-back cruises I know you get a test two days before you arrive back in port.  I *think* it is the same procedure for international air.

They are no longer offering the testing for folks who have to have a test to return to another country from the US based cruises.

They still do the testing for the B2B and S2S cruisers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jkaczano said:

Could be that they’re concerned about the 95% vaccination level they signed on to with the CDC for these particular cruises.  Under 5 unvaccinated don’t count, but since RC still isn’t requiring vaccinations for 5-11 year olds, they may be hedging their bets. 

You're probably right. That makes sense. It's the only reason I think they'd limit it like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jkaczano said:

My 3/18 Wonder cruise is showing no rooms left for 4 people on RC’s website,

 

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

In my daily price check, it won't let me enter more than 2 people (specifically, any children) to a cabin for a March cruise, even though I know there are rooms available that can hold 3.

So it may be a valid theory that they're attempting to limit potentially unvaccinated people on board.

 

image.png.d57572ef4e3cc05ceb8233fc030b081c.png

+ 1 for my March 3/13 sailing on Oasis.  It has shown that message since last Thursday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...