Voom Surf and Stream package

15 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Typically it is cheaper to buy one package for 3 devices.  The code will be the same for all 4 devices that are logged in

That is the issue I've found with buying the package deal everyone has the same code and when someone signs into a different device and they didn't sign out of the devise they are no longer using the system will choose one devise at random and disconnect it from the internet.  Although it cost more I think it is better and causes less headache while onboard if you buy each devise separately this way every person has their own code especially if the people you are cruising with are bringing their phones, tablets, laptops, fire stick, or any other devise that needs a Wifi signal.   

42 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

That is the issue I've found with buying the package deal everyone has the same code and when someone signs into a different device and they didn't sign out of the devise they are no longer using the system will choose one devise at random and disconnect it from the internet.  Although it cost more I think it is better and causes less headache while onboard if you buy each devise separately this way every person has their own code especially if the people you are cruising with are bringing their phones, tablets, laptops, fire stick, or any other devise that needs a Wifi signal.   

We decided to buy three separate Voom&Stream instead of sharing one code and it was on sale so about same price individually. We found this to be much easier for us than worrying about who is on or kicking anyone off. Will always go this route from now on no matter the price difference. Peace of mind is priceless. 🙌🏼

I recently had a two device plan with three devices and it was never clear to me how they decided what device to boot off when I logged in a 3rd device.  It may have been the Diamond drinks but I could never determine a pattern, like earliest logged in, or last logged, or value of MAC address, or...

The pattern seemed to be... the device I least wanted them to boot off was booted off and I needed to sign in again on it.

I don't know if there's a single correct answer for everyone.  Some things to consider:

1. How much of an issue is it to you if you get botted off the Internet and have to log in again?
  2. What speed do you need?  I always assumed I needed the Surf & Stream, but recently my wife had Surf and Stream and I had Surf.  We compared them side by side and we couldn't tell the difference.  Facetime, YouTube, DirectTV, email and general web surfing were indistinguishable. Ever since, I've purchased the cheaper surf package and been perfectly happy.
  3. What is the price difference?  Looking at the cruise planner, a 1 device surf package is $12.59 per day for one of my upcoming cruises.  I purchased a 4 device package during a Black Friday sale for $23.98.  For me, that was a no brainer
  4. Are you planning to get drink packages? If so, it might be cheaper to buy a drink package/Internet bundle.
  5. Are you Diamond or higher in Crown and Anchor?  If so, you get at least 24 hours of Surf & Stream one device for free plus a discount off of a package purchased on board.  For a short cruise, this may be a better deal.

14 minutes ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

Can you purchase a Voom for a single device, and then switch between the two devices?   Say I am connected via my phone, then want to switch to my laptop for awhile, and then switch back?  Is that possible (use one device at a time) without purchasing access for multiple devices?  How does that work?

Yes. You just log into the account you created on the device you want to use. It will warn you that it's going to boot off the other device and you click that you accept that. Very simple and easy. You can switch between an unlimited number of devices like this.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes. You just log into the account you created on the device you want to use. It will warn you that it's going to boot off the other device and you click that you accept that. Very simple and easy. You can switch between an unlimited number of devices like this.

Thank you Ashley.  This is very good info!  Much appreciated. 

10 hours ago, steverk said:

I don't know if there's a single correct answer for everyone.  Some things to consider:

1. How much of an issue is it to you if you get botted off the Internet and have to log in again?
  2. What speed do you need?  I always assumed I needed the Surf & Stream, but recently my wife had Surf and Stream and I had Surf.  We compared them side by side and we couldn't tell the difference.  Facetime, YouTube, DirectTV, email and general web surfing were indistinguishable. Ever since, I've purchased the cheaper surf package and been perfectly happy.
  3. What is the price difference?  Looking at the cruise planner, a 1 device surf package is $12.59 per day for one of my upcoming cruises.  I purchased a 4 device package during a Black Friday sale for $23.98.  For me, that was a no brainer
  4. Are you planning to get drink packages? If so, it might be cheaper to buy a drink package/Internet bundle.
  5. Are you Diamond or higher in Crown and Anchor?  If so, you get at least 24 hours of Surf & Stream one device for free plus a discount off of a package purchased on board.  For a short cruise, this may be a better deal.

This is great info. My kids mostly stream YouTube shows so if we can downgrade that would save us some $$$

11 hours ago, Wanderlust876 said:

This is great info. My kids mostly stream YouTube shows so if we can downgrade that would save us some $$$

You're very welcome.  I hope you have a similar experience.  As ships fill up, the speed difference may become noticeable, but it hasn't been on the ships I've sailed.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:01 PM, steverk said:

For my upcoming cruise on Harmony, CP shows the VOOM SURF Internet Package is currently $15.99/day, and the VOOM SURF + STREAM Internet Package is $19.99/day.  I already purchased the SURF + STREAM Internet Package, but given this new info, I'll try downgrading to the VOOM SURF package for my next cruise.   Thanks for the good & detailed info!

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, GunnerGuy said:

Hi All, Canadian here...does anyone know if there's any hope for getting a better deal on a VOOM package before I set sail on Allure May 8th? Currently it's showing as only %10 off Surf only $23 / day and Surf stream $29 / day which is pretty steep in my opinion. 

Sales come and go. But the common advice I've heard repeatedly was to purchase the package and just cancel and re-buy if the price goes cheaper. That way you've guaranteed the price.

That being said, I got my surf+stream when it was 35% off (2 devices), which came to about less than CA$20/night/device.

1 hour ago, SaveTheSharks said:

Sales come and go. But the common advice I've heard repeatedly was to purchase the package and just cancel and re-buy if the price goes cheaper. That way you've guaranteed the price.

That being said, I got my surf+stream when it was 35% off (2 devices), which came to about less than CA$20/night/device.

Thanks I'll keep my eyes peeled, may I ask when did you get your %35 discount? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 12:01 PM, steverk said:

ok, thank you.  I was wondering about the Surf & Stream vs Surf.  The only thing I would care about is FB and IG on our phones maybe during the day.  Wondering if those would work fine on the Surf.

Not to hijack the thread, but I saw something somewhere about per diem internet rates, is that a thing? The wife and I have decided not to get an internet package, and I'm actually looking forward to being disconnected for a bit, but we would like to check in with some folks late in the week if possible (gotta check with the cat sitters!), it would be great to pay for internet access for just one day (like Day 6 of a 7 day cruise).

24 minutes ago, silenttuba said:

Not to hijack the thread, but I saw something somewhere about per diem internet rates, is that a thing? The wife and I have decided not to get an internet package, and I'm actually looking forward to being disconnected for a bit, but we would like to check in with some folks late in the week if possible (gotta check with the cat sitters!), it would be great to pay for internet access for just one day (like Day 6 of a 7 day cruise).

On the final day of my recent cruise, they were marketing one-hour of internet access so people could check their flights, print their boarding passes, etc.  It was $12.99/hour. (If you bought the VOOM package for the entire cruise, cost was only $15.99/day).  They had a kiosk set up in the Royal Promenade for help and to sign-up, and the Cruise Planner said to visit the Internet Cafe, so I suspect you could check there or at Guest services for details.

One Hour Internet.png

We were on Liberty last week. They had a special with "The Key" for $20/day, that included Surf and Stream. I thought that was a great deal.  Except that internet just sucks on Liberty.  We were on this ship exactly 2 years ago, and had no problems. Technical issues onboard, not just internet, were prevalent.  Maybe that's why it was $20.  There is NO WAY anyone could stream.  You were lucky to get email and browse.