Saved a bunch by re-pricing

LCinPDX

How often do they change pricing?  Do you watch the current sales end date and just check again?  We booked our first cruise last night 2 hours before the sale ended, this morning it was cheaper by $140 (I'll take whatever savings I can get!) so I called and they made a change.  Do they also make changes to the beverage packages and excursion rates??

1 hour ago, Kellyrich said:

How often do they change pricing?  Do you watch the current sales end date and just check again?  We booked our first cruise last night 2 hours before the sale ended, this morning it was cheaper by $140 (I'll take whatever savings I can get!) so I called and they made a change.  Do they also make changes to the beverage packages and excursion rates??

I ignore all sales and promo announcements.  I check prices daily, sometime twice daily.  I've seen a price drop in the morning disappear a few hours later.

Most things in cruising have a supply and demand factor applied to them.  If there is a large inventory of one type of cabin the system may automatically lower the price for that specific category.  People see a great deal on that type of cabin and people begin booking it.  When enough people have booked it the inventory changes and the system increases the rate.  It's not so much a matter of updates at specific times like noon and midnight, but the system is continually monitoring inventory and making adjustments as inventory changes.  If rates go up it means other people booked it.  That could take hours or days or weeks.

That's not to say the sales and promos are fake.  They certainly can introduce an opportunity for a price drop but since I am checking very frequently already, I don't pay any attention to the new sales and promo announcements.  

That’s hilarious that it was cheaper after the ‘sale’ ended 😂

How often do they change pricing?  Do you watch the current sales end date and just check again? 

Do they also make changes to the beverage packages and excursion rates??

I check at least every time a sale ends.
Be sure to enter your Crown and Anchor number, if you have one (if you don't you should get one) and my state and senior ...each time I check a different sailing as the system seems to conveniently forget that info when I use the back button.

As for beverage and excursion rates.  Be aware of what you initially paid on the base price.  Beverage package ^68, $65, $54. per day because Royal Math might say it is a 40% off on board price  but somehow that onboard price was now higher, so 40% off might look like a steal, but the "per day" cost is higher.  Sneaky.  Black Friday tend to have great sales.  If you find a better deal you can cancel what you have (go into order history) and repurchase it at the better price.  

Is finding lower prices common?  I mean, using a sliding scale, is it like finding an overwhelming number of brown M&Ms in a bag or more like find 2 green M&Ms in a bag?

I have looked weekly since booking and the price we paid is considerably lower than any price I have seen in the last 2 months.

Just don't want to get my hopes up and stop trying.

29 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Is finding lower prices common?  I mean, using a sliding scale, is it like finding an overwhelming number of brown M&Ms in a bag or more like find 2 green M&Ms in a bag?

I have looked weekly since booking and the price we paid is considerably lower than any price I have seen in the last 2 months.

We have 4 cruises booked….5 if you count the one we booked for our oldest son and his fiancé.   None of them have dropped. 

4 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I think it depends on when you booked. 

I agree these past 2 months have not seen any dramatic price decreases, but I likely scooped all of those up in the mid/late-fall when checking.

Additionally I have to wonder if Royal is slowly raising prices because now they know they are capturing more interested cruisers.  With the reduction of mask usage, the reduction of Omicron and the Canadian riddance of a required PCR test to go home I am thinking their bookings will be better.  No need to reduce pricing.  
All of my cruises were booked in September for October  and on  forward. I've scored some great savings (hundreds) and some that are "only" $25 (but that's $25 back to me!)  Some of my other cruises-which are the more popular cruise months or itinerary-have only gone up.   I was admittedly spoiled this year with the reduced costs for a solo traveler. I've been looking for next fall and the prices are almost doubled for identical sailings from this past year.

Don't get discouraged and quit looking. I call them EVERY week! I don't care what the sale shows on line..call them and get re-priced. Sometimes they will give you a discount for the state you live in.  When I booked my cruise, I lived in Vegas. I moved to OK in September. When I called in Nov for a a re-pricing, Oklahoma had a resident that saved me $400.00. Another time I called, they gave $50 OBC that was not advertised. I booked the cruise in April 2021. It is scheduled to sale on May 2 2022 for 11 days transatlantic. When I booked it, I had an obstructed balcony for me an my husband that cost $3,668.00. As of today, I am in a Junior Suite. I have 175 OBC and my final cost paid in full with gratuity included is $1,980.00. My daughter is in a inside cabin with a virtual balcony and her original amount was $1,400.00. Today she is still in the same type of room. She had $75.00 OBC and her total cost, gratuity included is $971.00. Keep calling! Every dollar counts. Good luck