Tips for the single parent first time cruiser?

Hello! Not sure how I started going down this path, but YouTube got me in a deep 'cruise spiral', got hooked on this channel and I ended up booking a cruise on Symphony of The Seas for a Nov 2022 sailing 😆

I'll be travelling alone with my 6 year old daughter and wondering if any of you have any tips for me as a single parent first time cruiser??

What to expect and/or prepare for? Also help me understand potential limitations I would have being attached at the hip with my child (other than a few instances at adventure ocean)?

see if there is a group on this site (look at Roll Calls) for your sailing, if not look at Facebook.  You might be able to connect with other single parents (heck just other parents) and perhaps arrange a "meet and greet" -meet location on the first day of embarkation-where you, other parents and the kids can get to know each other.  You can search facebook by typing in the name of the ship and the date of sailing.  If there is no such group consider creating one.

I have no other advice as I do not have young children.

Immediately upon setting foot on the ship, go over to Adventure Ocean and you and your daughter check out the schedule, meet the staff and see if your daughter has any issues. There will be same age children or really close also sailing and it would be a good time to let her check it out. Our grandkids love it and are always wanting to go back. It can also give you time alone during the cruise to explore the ship, talk to other adults or just sit out in the sun. There are plenty of things for both of you to do together on the ship and know you will enjoy your time together on the "big boat". Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies!

I checked the roll call, and don't think I saw one yet. I'll keep searching. I'll also check out Facebook - it's one platform I didn't quite check yet. I feel like once I do, Facebook will curate some nicely targeted ads at convincing me to book another cruise 😅 

While I'm generally outgoing and wouldn't mind meeting other parents/kids, I'm also ok with having daddy-daughter quality time without other kids/parents too.

Adventure Ocean booking can only be done once on the ship?

Oh and kiddo is vaccinated, so one less thing to be concerned with!

People are going to tell you to drop your kid off at Adventure Ocean and basically be a solo cruiser, but I think it depends largely on why you're going on this vacation. As a single parent, I'm guessing you might actually be going on this trip to be with your child (!!) rather than to simply drop her off at babysitting and have a vacation on your own.

My advice would be to do the opposite. There are a ton of fun things to do on a cruise ship that adults and kids can do together, especially at that age. It's so much fun to spend time with your kid on a cruise ship. So many activities and cool places to explore. And without any siblings or friends for her on the boat already, is she really going to want to be dropped off alone at Adventure Ocean? 

Enjoy the cruise with your daughter. You'll have so many great memories!

No advice as I'm also a new single parent cruiser, but thought I would reply! Going on an April cruise with my 2 teens and 6 year old. 

Im thinking the little will want to do the pool and other fun kid stuff on the ship as well as the shore excursions. 

My biggest hope is that I can get a few hours of adult time even if to just sit in silence in the hot tub or at the bar for a drink or two. Ahhh. 

I will report back as to how the kids club situation works out! 

6 hours ago, SaveTheSharks said:

Thanks for the replies!

I checked the roll call, and don't think I saw one yet. I'll keep searching. I'll also check out Facebook - it's one platform I didn't quite check yet. I feel like once I do, Facebook will curate some nicely targeted ads at convincing me to book another cruise 😅 

You can start the Roll Call and wait for responses.

Although not a single parent, I have cruised solo many times with my now 12 year daughter since was she was about 4 due to my husbands extensive travel schedule. The two of you alone are going to make wonderful memories together…. If she likes music, I suggest sitting in schooner listening to the piano player and having a cocktail while she enjoys a smoothie or Shirley temple…. It’s where my daughter gained her obsession with jazz music at a young age… I found that taking a portable DVD player with some Disney movies in tow helped to keep her attention at the MDR and we could watch together and still enjoy our meal. If she enjoys dressing up, maybe a stop at the salon before formal night for a cute updo would please her and make for great pictures of you two….Also, check the cruise compasses on this blog and see if there could be any theme nights on your ship… my daughter and I bring along some 70s outfits or clothes for white parties and it gets them excited…..  Any time you want to sit and relax somewhere on the ship, it may help for her to bring along a coloring book and some colored pencils to keep her occupied while you sit and …. enjoy every moment, it’s a great age…. Will keep thinking of tips. 😀

18 hours ago, jeffmw said:

People are going to tell you to drop your kid off at Adventure Ocean and basically be a solo cruiser, but I think it depends largely on why you're going on this vacation. As a single parent, I'm guessing you might actually be going on this trip to be with your child (!!) rather than to simply drop her off at babysitting and have a vacation on your own.

My advice would be to do the opposite. There are a ton of fun things to do on a cruise ship that adults and kids can do together, especially at that age. It's so much fun to spend time with your kid on a cruise ship. So many activities and cool places to explore. And without any siblings or friends for her on the boat already, is she really going to want to be dropped off alone at Adventure Ocean? 

Enjoy the cruise with your daughter. You'll have so many great memories!

Absolutely! I definitely booked to trip to spend time with her! But I'm sure we'll want the occasional "me time" to ourselves.. I actually went on a non-cruise vacation a few months back and she was very disappointed that she couldn't come with (too young to be vaxxed at the time). So this was my way of trying to make it up to her!

15 hours ago, Wanderlust876 said:

No advice as I'm also a new single parent cruiser, but thought I would reply! Going on an April cruise with my 2 teens and 6 year old. 

Im thinking the little will want to do the pool and other fun kid stuff on the ship as well as the shore excursions. 

My biggest hope is that I can get a few hours of adult time even if to just sit in silence in the hot tub or at the bar for a drink or two. Ahhh. 

I will report back as to how the kids club situation works out! 

Can't wait to hear your and your kids' experiences - Especially from your 6 year old! I'm guessing you're going to have lots of adult time given you can (hopefully) lean on your teens to help out! Which itinerary/ports do you have on your cruise?

13 hours ago, Cruiser4Life said:

Although not a single parent, I have cruised solo many times with my now 12 year daughter since was she was about 4 due to my husbands extensive travel schedule. The two of you alone are going to make wonderful memories together…. If she likes music, I suggest sitting in schooner listening to the piano player and having a cocktail while she enjoys a smoothie or Shirley temple…. It’s where my daughter gained her obsession with jazz music at a young age… I found that taking a portable DVD player with some Disney movies in tow helped to keep her attention at the MDR and we could watch together and still enjoy our meal. If she enjoys dressing up, maybe a stop at the salon before formal night for a cute updo would please her and make for great pictures of you two….Also, check the cruise compasses on this blog and see if there could be any theme nights on your ship… my daughter and I bring along some 70s outfits or clothes for white parties and it gets them excited…..  Any time you want to sit and relax somewhere on the ship, it may help for her to bring along a coloring book and some colored pencils to keep her occupied while you sit and …. enjoy every moment, it’s a great age…. Will keep thinking of tips. 😀

This is really great! I didn't even think of think of the salon! She LOVES dressing up and getting glammed up. 😁 And yes, totally agree with the emergency portable entertainment. She'll have an iPad in case of those "emergency" moments. Voom Surf + Stream was literally the first thing we bought on cruise planner! Haha.

Once she discovers the kids pool area you won't be able to drag her away with a team of Clydesdales.   Of all the cruises I've been on the kids seem to have the most fun there.  If your aren't familiar with the sun in the Caribbean,  it it a different sun.  You can fry easily.  Bring a lot of sunscreen for the little one and reapply often.  I can promise you  that you and your little girl will have a wonderful time.   Remember you are on vacation,  relax and don't try to do it all.

7 hours ago, SaveTheSharks said:

Can't wait to hear your and your kids' experiences - Especially from your 6 year old! I'm guessing you're going to have lots of adult time given you can (hopefully) lean on your teens to help out! Which itinerary/ports do you have on your cruise?

We shall see. I have all boys and sometimes the older ones don't want to be bothered. But I figure 4 nights hitting Nassau, Cococay,and a day at sea is enough time for everyone to have fun but not be completely over each other. Got a separate cabin for the older ones so this should make everyone happy!