What Do You Do In The Meantime...

CruisingNewb

Cruise to Alaska is a little over 3 months away.  We have pretty much finished with planning (to the extent possible at this stage).

I browse the forums daily and have all of the YouTube videos I can stomach.

It's like waiting for Christmas in September.

So tell me, what do you guys do in the meantime?  

5 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Cruise to Alaska is a little over 3 months away.  We have pretty much finished with planning (to the extent possible at this stage).

I browse the forums daily and have all of the YouTube videos I can stomach.

It's like waiting for Christmas in September.

So tell me, what do you guys do in the meantime?  

go on a diet

The wife and i were just talking about this.  We just got off Oasis 2 days ago and have our next one in about 9 months and we feel that we're just "hanging out" waiting for our next cruise.  We do have a couple of non-cruise trips along the way for business and leisure, but we really just want to be back at sea.  We've done 3 cruises since August and it has been amazing.

15 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

The wife and i were just talking about this.  We just got off Oasis 2 days ago and have our next one in about 9 months and we feel that we're just "hanging out" waiting for our next cruise.  We do have a couple of non-cruise trips along the way for business and leisure, but we really just want to be back at sea.  We've done 3 cruises since August and it has been amazing.

While we aren't avid cruisers, we plan very nice yearly vacations.  We went to the East Coast (NY, PA, DC, MD, VT) for a month prior to Covid.  We planned that trip 4 months in advance.  Having said that, the anticipation for a cruise is SOOOO much more than a regular vacation (for us).

Wife and I work full-time and have engaging lives with the kiddos, but every time I have 5 to 10 minutes here and there, I can't stop thinking about our upcoming cruise. 

Am I sick in the head?

8 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Am I sick in the head?

No, you're not.  We think of our upcoming cruises all the time as well.  Our first vacation without kids in close to 25 years was a cruise in Jan 2019.  Now we're making up for lost time, and the interval between cruises seems to take forever.

14 minutes ago, teddy said:

...and those silly countdowns in your Royal Caribbean "upcoming cruises" section (yes, I still look at them).

194 days

353 days

614 days

I check the countdowns three times a week and update our whiteboard in the mudroom daily.  Because...you know...in case numbers, math, and logic changes and the number of days magically reduce by like 20 days...🙃

My family doesn't enjoy hearing me drone on about cruising for months on end so I hang out here with like minded cruisers to get me thru the in between time. 

As my next trip nears  I join the Facebook group for that sailing (if there is one) and also check in on the ships Facebook page to share in my excitement and check for ship specific tips. 

Other than planning and waiting for the next step (check in time! Luggage tags are ready! Bid on Royal Up! Etc) it's just an agonizing wait. 

My husband doesnt have the vacation time that I do, so I've recently started cruising with a friend for shorter sailings and it's great that she's wanting to talk cruising just as much as me. 

I agree, it's like waiting for Christmas 😊

43 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

My husband doesnt have the vacation time that I do, so I've recently started cruising with a friend for shorter sailings and it's great that she's wanting to talk cruising just as much as me. 

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA! 😍 (all caps intentional)

3 hours ago, PRebecca said:

My family doesn't enjoy hearing me drone on about cruising for months on end so I hang out here with like minded cruisers to get me thru the in between time. 

As my next trip nears  I join the Facebook group for that sailing (if there is one) and also check in on the ships Facebook page to share in my excitement and check for ship specific tips. 

Other than planning and waiting for the next step (check in time! Luggage tags are ready! Bid on Royal Up! Etc) it's just an agonizing wait. 

I am in the same "more vacation time than hubs" boat.  Poor guys. 

12 hours ago, BowTieBrigade said:

If you’re like me, YOLO book some more trips over the next couple years so you have even MORE to look forward to!

I can't get off the ship without booking another one.  😂  Not only do I get the shipboard credit, but the number of cruises in our Cruise Planner doesn't go down.  I can't wait till we retire and the number can go UP instead.  👌

I like to go back and reminisce about past vacations and cruises. I'll look at my pictures and/or anything else related to the past vacation and relive the memories.

I also keep a planning document or folder for the upcoming cruise to keep track of all the little details - if I read something on the boards that seems like it relates to me, I'll note it in my planning docs. I try to find a cruise compass for a similar sailing on my same ship. I'll update my packing list if I think of something.

Other than that, I try to stay busy with other projects and just keep my mind off of it for a while. 

• 2 weeks later...