Time to dump Cats?

Censored

On 2/13/2022 at 6:45 AM, PG Cruiser said:

What family-friendly musicals would be good to replace Cats?

These are not my favorites but I think they're family friendly enough.

The Sound of Music
Shrek the Musical
Mary Poppins
Billy Elliot
School of Rock (kids on cast might be a challenge, but I've seen it on tour)
Annie

Chicago is one of my favorites!

14 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Getting to the Heaviside Layer is the main plot of Cats.  Macavity (the evil cat) wanted to get there by any means.  He and his minions kidnap Old Deuteronomy (the old man cat), the elder who was going to pick who goes to the Heaviside Layer at the gathering (Jellicle Ball).  Macavity then crashes the Jellicle Ball, disguised as Old Deuteronomy. A fight ensues when he is exposed and he escapes from the junkyard.  Old Deuteronomy is brought back by the magic of Mr. Mistoffelees (the cat in tuxedo).  The elder then picks Grizabella (Carol Burnett from her Lola skit) to go to the Heaviside Layer.  At the end, Old Deuteronomy breaks the fourth wall and sings "The Ad-dressing of Cats" to the audience about how to properly address cats.  (This is probably Old Deuteronomy's way of scolding Oasis guests for their poor treatment of Cats har har har)

Yeah... very weird!

I believe I may be in the minority here, but we love Cats .... even the abbreviated version.  I believe the real issue is that some folks may have trouble following the story line..... perhaps, if a Playbill was offered as people enter the theatre, providing, perhaps a back story as to what is about to unfold, some folks may be able to follow it a little better, therefore be able to enjoy the show.  In all honesty, Cats is one of the reasons why we booked Oasis out of NJ again this coming September.

On 2/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, PG Cruiser said:

What family-friendly musicals would be good to replace Cats?

These are not my favorites but I think they're family friendly enough.

The Sound of Music
Shrek the Musical
Mary Poppins
Billy Elliot
School of Rock (kids on cast might be a challenge, but I've seen it on tour)
Annie

Those are good options ... it's a shame a more "adult oriented" show couldn't be on it, like, perhaps Rent.

I absolutely love live theater. Broadway obsessed. We live just outside NYC and our family sees shows whenever we can. And...I hate Cats. Hate. Hate. I can understand sitting through it once if for nothing else except the dance. When we sailed on Oasis in 2014 we saw the previous unabridged version, and it was endless, but the cast had some serious dance chops (a heavy sprinkling of London West End theater background), and my son, then 6, went bonkers over Mr. Mistoffelees' number. But when we sail in April I don't think any of us, even my oldest daughter who's now preparing to audition for college MT programs, are likely to sit through it. 

Once the rights are released, I think Come from Away would make an awesome replacement. It premiered on Broadway the same year that Dear Evan Hansen did, and DEH just made its rights available, so CFA might be soon. It has a lot of advantages: a relatively simple set (although you do need a turntable) and no fancy costumes, a small cast (12-16 people with swings), a short overall run time (about 90 minutes), and it's a family-friendly, feel-good show with a ton of heart. 

Another one that might work is Waitress. It's been on and off Broadway and on tour for a while now. It definitely has parts that aren't suitable for younger kids, but honestly, so do other shows that have run on Royal, like Grease, Hairspray and Chicago. You do need a child in the cast, but it's just one little girl at the end. When that show has been on tour, unlike other productions where the kids go from city to city with the production, they usually cast their Lulu locally (so if the show is running for two weeks in Chicago, they cast 2 Lulus from Chicago, then cast 2 new Lulus when they move on to Minneapolis or Detroit or wherever). So you could replace your Lulu every 2-4 weeks without a ton of disruption. And hey, Royal has plenty of kitchen space to do the fresh baked pies!

Honestly, you could probably get away with any show that only has a couple of kids in it in the same way that kids do national tours. As the parent of acting kids, I know plenty of acting families who have done months-long tours and probably would be fine with doing a cruise contract. In many ways, life on a cruise ship would be easier for parents and kids than life on tour. A hugely kid-heavy cast like Annie, School of Rock, or Billy Elliott might be difficult to have on a cruise ship for months at a time, but a show with just a couple of kids like Mary Poppins or Les Mis could be a possibility. 

We just saw a traveling production of the"Million Dollar Quartet" and it would be fantastic on board.  This Tony Award winning musical is the story of Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis getting together for a jam session at Sun Records in 1956.  It would have the ship Rock'n.image.png.d9873b838f6f2c19f2683ee08f01b49f.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

When I was growing up, I got to see many Broadway productions.  A few on Broadway (Les Mis, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast), most at Proctors Theater (Albany NY's 'Off Broadway' stage), where I saw most of Loyd Webber's work, including Cats.  Webber is all over the map with his shows and is mostly fantastic, especially the historically based shows... Miss Saigon, Evita, even Phantom of the Opera.  Cats... suffers from coherence, and the plot is lost on all but the most dedicated to understanding it.  Why I think it should stay, is it's appeal to the kids the Oasis draws.  Excluding Disney and Loyd Webber's Christian shows (Joseph & TATDC or JC Superstar... & not even that fits), what other Broadway shows would even be appropriate for a demographic under the age of 12?  Not many I remember.

Knowing how much I disliked CATS, I'm surprised that I just now saw this thread.  

Someone said that they can't believe people just don't walk out.  Well, for me, it was kinda like watching the movie Michael.  My father and I watched it together and he did get up and go to his room leaving me to suffer along with the movie.  I couldn't believe it was sooooooooo bad that I just kept watching it thinking/hoping that it had to get better.  Nope, then the "The End" came up.  Same thing with CATS.  You just can't believe how bad it is until the "The End" comes up and you realize that that's it, nothing left to get better.  That was about 2 - 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.  But, I can say that about a lot of things I've experienced in my life. 

49 minutes ago, CYCO1631 said:

When I was growing up, I got to see many Broadway productions.  A few on Broadway (Les Mis, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast), most at Proctors Theater (Albany NY's 'Off Broadway' stage), where I saw most of Loyd Webber's work, including Cats.  Webber is all over the map with his shows and is mostly fantastic, especially the historically based shows... Miss Saigon, Evita, even Phantom of the Opera.  Cats... suffers from coherence, and the plot is lost on all but the most dedicated to understanding it.  Why I think it should stay, is it's appeal to the kids the Oasis draws.  Excluding Disney and Loyd Webber's Christian shows (Joseph & TATDC or JC Superstar... & not even that fits), what other Broadway shows would even be appropriate for a demographic under the age of 12?  Not many I remember.

Old Yeller  😃

9 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

6lw7n9.jpg

Excellent!

Some other possible improvements:

Rum Tum Tigger and Old Mephistopheles get fixed (No more Jellicle Balls for them).

The cast meets Feral Rescue and is adopted by different families, never to meet again.

Old Yeller visits Cats. Grizabella falls for a doomed dog and comes down with rabies herself.

13 hours ago, CYCO1631 said:

suffers from coherence, and the plot is lost on all but the most dedicated to understanding it.  Why I think it should stay, is it's appeal to the kids the Oasis draws. 

I agree, 100%. If you studied the poetry by T. S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, it gives you a better understanding. But aside from that, the costumes, make up, and dancing are incredible.

And what a better way to expose our children to theatre.  

34 minutes ago, The Fox said:

I agree, 100%. If you studied the poetry by T. S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, it gives you a better understanding. But aside from that, the costumes, make up, and dancing are incredible.

And what a better way to expose our children to theatre.  

In my several posts about CATS in the forum, I have only criticized the show.  I want it known that I do not criticize the cast.  Afterall, they are just earning a paycheck.  I'm sure some of them love doing CATS and others, not so much, but it's a paycheck.  

How about doing "HAIR" without the nudity!  The music is great.  I saw the Broadway version of it in Coral Gables, FL and I was really surprised how good it was. At the time I though there was no way that it could be good if it wasn't on a drive-in theater. Of course, I was a teenager at the time.  But, I remember the experience very well, not necessarily the details.  

19 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

In my several posts about CATS in the forum, I have only criticized the show.  I want it known that I do not criticize the cast.  Afterall, they are just earning a paycheck.  I'm sure some of them love doing CATS and others, not so much, but it's a paycheck.  

A dancer’s dream show.  This and A Chorus Line.  

10 minutes ago, Pooch said:

A dancer’s dream show.  This and A Chorus Line.  

On Broadway or other established theatrical venues of note, sure!

I'm sure all feel that way about the actual, original show ON Broadway.  But, on the Oasis Cruise Ship, very limited stage size, shortened version, Theatrical supervisors/directors not being the same caliber as actually on Broadway, limited props and their capabilities, and who knows what else, who knows.  But again, I don't doubt the cast's abilities and their dedication to their craft.  I'd bet if you ask them, they'd rather be performing CATS (or just about any other show) on a real Broadway stage, in NYC, 100% would say, "hell yes".

I have talked to cast members on a cruise ship, not a CATS cast member though, and while they seem to be happy, they always say one of two things:  1.  They are building a resume in hope of getting a job on Broadway, et al or 2.  They are between gigs.  Yes, some, maybe even many do have experience on Broadway.

One of a very few things I liked about Brand X theater was that if you go to the theater early, they put the cast members abbreviated resume on the monitors next to the stage.  I was actually surprised at how many of them did have Broadway experience, some with a few theatrical awards.   It would be great if Royal did the same.  

Hi Moby. Here in ole San Antonio, all Broadway shows play at the Majestic Theatre. It is a beautiful theater from the turn of the century that is very small and intimate. Much smaller than the main theater on most ships. These shows even forgo the much larger and modern theater here in town. If you build it, they will come, lol

11 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Hi Moby. Here in ole San Antonio, all Broadway shows play at the Majestic Theatre. It is a beautiful theater from the turn of the century that is very small and intimate. Much smaller than the main theater on most ships. These shows even forgo the much larger and modern theater here in town. If you build it, they will come, lol

Hummmmmmm, I must have missed the Majestic Theatre.  I guess I like to spend my time in La Margarita's or Mi Tierra's restaurant.  

9 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Lol, the Riverwalk is for suckers, just kidding. We loved terrace brunch at La Canarias on the river before covid. They haven’t reopened. 

Oh, I'm sure there are a lot of local or I should say, Ma & Pa restaurants that may have as good or maybe even better than the two mentioned.  But, I like the whole package of those two.  Great food, great ambiance, not to mention being good friends with the General Manager of both.  Yes, they are both owned by the same family.  Not sure if you intended to mention the Riverwalk with those two restaurants.  They are in the City Market place, not the Riverwalk.  However, I'm a sucker, I love walking the Riverwalk and riding the tour boats.  Not sure if it's still there but I/we liked Dicks Last Resort on the Riverwalk.  I guess I like to be abused.  

When we go to the San Antonio area, we stay with an old Army buddy and his wife who lives in Seguin.  There is a Mexican restaurant there that is very good, too.  I wish we had a good Mexican Restaurant here in Oxford/Anniston, AL.  😟

We went to a Dick's Last Resort at the Excalibur in Las Vegas last year - I was curious about the hubbub. Our waiter took one look at us, treated us very respectfully, and didn't offer to make us those tall hats that other people were wearing. Either he thought we looked too old to belittle, or that we had no sense of humor?! The food was okay, but it was comped by MGM Rewards (or whatever it's called) and I had no desire to return. 

The best Tex-Mex food around here is found often at local taquerias, with the exception of Chuy's. We're 2 hours south of San Antonio.

25 minutes ago, Sushitex said:

We went to a Dick's Last Resort at the Excalibur in Las Vegas last year - I was curious about the hubbub. Our waiter took one look at us, treated us very respectfully, and didn't offer to make us those tall hats that other people were wearing. Either he thought we looked too old to belittle, or that we had no sense of humor?! The food was okay, but it was comped by MGM Rewards (or whatever it's called) and I had no desire to return. 

The best Tex-Mex food around here is found often at local taquerias, with the exception of Chuy's. We're 2 hours south of San Antonio.

Yep, too bad you didn't get to experience the full experience of Dicks.  Yes, the food is average.  But, I go for the entertainment/bantering/experience.  There used to be a restaurant in Chicago that was about the same as Dicks, it was called Ed Debevics, or something like that, I think it closed now.  Even it is still open, there's no way in the world I'd ever take my wife, kids, grandkids to Chicago anymore.   

I guess I'll just have to accept the well mannered servers in Chops.  

20 hours ago, CYCO1631 said:

Dusting off my Theater Nerd hat... Miss Saigon is not by Lloyd Webber. 

7 hours ago, Moby Dick said:

Oh, I'm sure there are a lot of local or I should say, Ma & Pa restaurants that may have as good or maybe even better than the two mentioned.  But, I like the whole package of those two.  Great food, great ambiance, not to mention being good friends with the General Manager of both.  Yes, they are both owned by the same family.  Not sure if you intended to mention the Riverwalk with those two restaurants.  They are in the City Market place, not the Riverwalk.  However, I'm a sucker, I love walking the Riverwalk and riding the tour boats.  Not sure if it's still there but I/we liked Dicks Last Resort on the Riverwalk.  I guess I like to be abused.  

When we go to the San Antonio area, we stay with an old Army buddy and his wife who lives in Seguin.  There is a Mexican restaurant there that is very good, too.  I wish we had a good Mexican Restaurant here in Oxford/Anniston, AL.  😟

I consider all restaurants downtown the riverwalk. I’ll definitely have to check them out. I’m a transplant to the Alamo City from Kentucky. And for all you folks down south, shame on you, pulled pork is the beez kneez. Lol. I like to think each state line south from Kentucky as flavor rings, lol. 

I did watch cats on my recent Oasis OTS sailing. I have never watched cats when it was on Broadway. My only exposure to it was watching the live action movie that came out. As a person who went into the show really not knowing too much about cats the musical, I didn't mind it. It did entertain the family for the most part. I would love see more modern musicals brought to ships eg. musicals from the late 1990s/into the 2000s. I would love to see wicked as I loved it on Broadway. Or even shows like school of rock which I thought the Broadway version was better than the movie.