Labadee beaches covered in trash!

I just read on another bloggers site who just came back from Labadee, and its sad to report the amount of trash he discovered and videoed. 

Even though the entire beach is raked prior to cruisers arrival, trash becomes to build up on the north end of the beach. The beach workers do their best

to clean up however.  Near the end of the day the blogger reports the huge amount of trash that accumulated . This trash is not from Royal cruisers. It is an

environmental disaster, that Haiti needs to deal with...  As much a Royal does a great job in cleaning it up, the trash keeps coming in.  @sieglemedia

You cant blame Haiti for garbage that is thrown into the sea 1000s of miles away and gets washed up on its beaches? And every time a wave washes in then so will some rubbish, thats just how it is...

The Problem is the people in US! Europe! In fact everywhere who dont know how to use a bin and think its ok to leave garbage lying about or throw it in the sea! 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:45 PM, Swar said:

Naa, it's Haiti's fault. 😆 they shouldn't have that island in the way of the trash.

I fail to see whats so funny. Urban pollution has long been a problem in Haiti, which produced more than 2 million metric tons of waste in 2015, according to data from the World Bank. The same report found that Port-au-Prince collects just 12% of its solid waste, one of the lowest rates in Latin America and the Caribbean. Yes there is some pollution coming in through oceans currents, but Haiti has a HUGE problem.  Research it instead of laughing about it. 

200.gif

But on a serious note...

Unfortunately Royal is not in charge of or in anyway responsible for the Haitian government and their environmental policies. Royal owns/rents/leases whatever a portion of their land and while it is unfortunate that Labadee gets overflow from a problem on the mainland, Royal can only do so much.

And while I'm guessing much of the 2021 unrest has calmed enough that Royal feels comfortable reopening the "island" I sincerely doubt things in Haiti proper are at a point where their primary concerns are the way the citizens handle their trash.

I'm sure if you're concerned about Haiti's environment and their contribution to word pollution there are places you can donate to to help. There are organizations for everything now.

A quick search of the internet shows that much of this pollution IS  due to Haitian citizens.  People on rivers inland toss their trash into the river.  The corrupt government not using the billions provided by the US and other nations to address sanitation.  And that's just to name a couple of the reasons.   It's really quite sad, and nothing will improve the situation as long as there are corrupt individuals willing to step up and take charge so they can loot the island nation.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, Ray said:

You cant blame Haiti for garbage that is thrown into the sea 1000s of miles away and gets washed up on its beaches? And every time a wave washes in then so will some rubbish, thats just how it is...

The Problem is the people in US! Europe! In fact everywhere who dont know how to use a bin and think its ok to leave garbage lying about or throw it in the sea! 

All due respect, Haiti has a serious trash/pollution problem.  So the Haitian government should be accountable and take responsibility for what is going on.  To suggest its coming from everywhere else is ignorance.  

There is a lot of trash in the ocean, all over the ocean.  Haiti is not the only underdeveloped nation that uses the ocean as a trash can and then it floats around until it lands somewhere, just like Sargossa. 

Having said that I just left Labadee.  Not a piece of trash in the ocean or on a beach was seen.    

45 minutes ago, Eddy said:

All due respect, Haiti has a serious trash/pollution problem.  So the Haitian government should be accountable and take responsibility for what is going on.  To suggest its coming from everywhere else is ignorance.  

Are you trying to say EVERY part of trash in Haiti comes from Haiti? If you are then thats not only complete garbage pardon the pun but also complete ignorance on your part to the fact waste thrown into the sea anywhere in the world can spend years floating about before it hits a beach somewhere miles away

4 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

We were there about three weeks ago and there was no visible trash along the shote-lines or bays. We stayed within the Royal compound and did not venture beyond these areas, but we thought it was a beautiful place with nice beaches and bays 

agree no trash anywhere on the facility end of February 2022

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, Ray said:

Hmm...don't see trash in San Juan, or St. Croix, or St. Thomas, or st. Martin, or Coco Cay, or...well, you get the idea.  If from the US, one would think ALL these places would see the problem.  Right?   

On 3/7/2022 at 2:14 PM, Ray said:

Are you trying to say EVERY part of trash in Haiti comes from Haiti? If you are then thats not only complete garbage pardon the pun but also complete ignorance on your part to the fact waste thrown into the sea anywhere in the world can spend years floating about before it hits a beach somewhere miles away

If you read back I stated Haiti has a serious trash problem. Of course there are other countries that contribute to the pollution issue.  
Haiti is considered one of the countries with the greatest risk of plastic entering the ocean. The country generates a large volume of plastic waste in urban areas due to high consumption of treated water, soft drinks, and take away meals sold in plastic containers. If you take the time to research this topic , you will find that Haiti contributes a very high percentage  waste that lingers around Haiti. Take the time to research the topic before attempting to publicly shame me.  You only know 10% of what you think you know.  

On 3/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, twangster said:

There is a lot of trash in the ocean, all over the ocean.  Haiti is not the only underdeveloped nation that uses the ocean as a trash can and then it floats around until it lands somewhere, just like Sargossa. 

Having said that I just left Labadee.  Not a piece of trash in the ocean or on a beach was seen.    

I never suggested Haiti is the ONLY nation .  Just that it produces a tremendous amount of trash that contributes to its local problem . Of course there are other countries/nations that contribute.  At the date this was posted,  the trash was evident. The reporter that I followed on this made note that he discovered this at the very end of the day.  As Royal's clean up crew does a good job continually cleaning of the beaches its very likely you won't see  anything.  I'll be there in a couple of weeks to further check it out. BTW.. it Sargassum, not Sargossa.

I'm not taking sides here.  But, I just did a little research into what countries are most responsible for dumping trash, especially plastics, into the oceans and they are China, Philippians, and Indonesia, almost all the articles I read unanimously agree with that.  One of the sites actually suggested that the U.S.A. is actually closer to the top of the list.  Why?  Because we use more plastic and we export more plastic waste.  The article doesn't say that the U.S.A. pollutes the oceans at a rate that would put the U.S.A. in the top 20, which the other articles suggest.  Just that we use a lot and throw a lot away.   We have to watch how we read and absorb articles, especially ones that have an agenda.  

2 hours ago, Eddy said:

If you read back I stated Haiti has a serious trash problem. Of course there are other countries that contribute to the pollution issue.  
Haiti is considered one of the countries with the greatest risk of plastic entering the ocean. The country generates a large volume of plastic waste in urban areas due to high consumption of treated water, soft drinks, and take away meals sold in plastic containers. If you take the time to research this topic , you will find that Haiti contributes a very high percentage  waste that lingers around Haiti. Take the time to research the topic before attempting to publicly shame me.  You only know 10% of what you think you know.  

Actially you didnt say it you copied and pasted it 100% as i found same story word for word

https://globalpressjournal.com/americas/haiti/young-haitians-combat-countrys-solid-waste-problem/#:~:text=Urban pollution has long been,Latin America and the Caribbean.

7 hours ago, LinRon2 said:

Hmm...don't see trash in San Juan, or St. Croix, or St. Thomas, or st. Martin, or Coco Cay, or...well, you get the idea.  If from the US, one would think ALL these places would see the problem.  Right?   

That i cant answer but what i can answer is that at no time did i say Haiti didnt have a trash problem what i did say was you cannot just blame them. 

The problem with raising other peoples issues is just that! Its not your own so therefore you sometimes wont understand or have answers for points raised or questions needing answered  however If you are that commited to a subject you wouldnt wait until you read it on another site then copy and paste here. You would volunteer like i do as part of a group that cleans up local beaches and i take my granddaughter because educating the future generations is whats important.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2022 at 10:23 PM, 10-42 said:

I'm not taking sides here.  But, I just did a little research into what countries are most responsible for dumping trash, especially plastics, into the oceans and they are China, Philippians, and Indonesia, almost all the articles I read unanimously agree with that.  One of the sites actually suggested that the U.S.A. is actually closer to the top of the list.  Why?  Because we use more plastic and we export more plastic waste.  The article doesn't say that the U.S.A. pollutes the oceans at a rate that would put the U.S.A. in the top 20, which the other articles suggest.  Just that we use a lot and throw a lot away.   We have to watch how we read and absorb articles, especially ones that have an agenda.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daphneewingchow/2019/09/20/caribbean-islands-are-the-biggest-plastic-polluters-per-capita-in-the-world/?sh=18826f8d774b

1 hour ago, Eddy said:

Yep, that's one of the articles I read.  A lot of the data is very old and the article itself is 2+ years old.  Unfortunately, there isn't too much data available that is really current.  

For general consumption:  Again, watch how you read articles.  Just because a country produces a lot of plastic waste, it doesn't mean that it pollutes a lot of it.  

On 5/24/2022 at 12:19 PM, 10-42 said:

Yep, that's one of the articles I read.  A lot of the data is very old and the article itself is 2+ years old.  Unfortunately, there isn't too much data available that is really current.  

For general consumption:  Again, watch how you read articles.  Just because a country produces a lot of plastic waste, it doesn't mean that it pollutes a lot of it.  

Haiti does pollute a lot, along with a lot of other countries.