CANADA> NO MORE PCR TESTS ! BREAKING NEWS

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's concerning. Are they going to make cruise ship passengers test again to visit a port?

Honestly, no clue....  but under the travel advisory,  the Canadian Gov still said to avoid Cruise ships..  Still preaching Doom and Gloom

Travel on cruise ships outside of Canada

You should continue to avoid all cruise ship travel outside of Canada. If you decide to take a cruise outside of Canada despite this advisory, there are some important facts you should consider.

If an outbreak of COVID-19 or another contagious illness were to occur:

• you could be subject to quarantine procedures onboard the ship or in a foreign country
  • the range of consular services available on cruise ships may be significantly restricted by local authorities, especially in situations of quarantine
  • the cost of medical care could be very expensive if required, and you may need to pay for your medical bills immediately in cash

The Government of Canada won’t pay your medical bills, including COVID-related expenses or medical evacuation.

If you’re infected with COVID-19, you won’t be able to return to Canada on a public flight until 10 days have passed. You shouldn’t depend on the Government of Canada for assistance to change your travel plans.

The Government of Canada will continue to evaluate the situation and make changes as necessary to ensure the health and safety of all Canadians.

Honestly this is a typical Canadian government bullshit make an announcement without actually changing anything. The inconvenience of a test is still required, still doing ‘random’ testing upon arrival. This is not a great announcement at all. If they don’t change anything this will drastically affect Canadian ports again for the Alaska season. Are the cruise lines going to go back to providing antigen tests on-board for each passenger the day before they get back to Vancouver? Or before the PSVA required stop in Victoria for ships sailing from Seattle? Expect the Alaskan governors to be in the news shortly looking for an extension on the PSVA exemption

19 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Honestly this is a typical Canadian government bullshit make an announcement without actually changing anything. The inconvenience of a test is still required, still doing ‘random’ testing upon arrival. This is not a great announcement at all

Could not agree with this more! You said it way better than me. It is still a pain to have to find testing and be extra cautious while on board. Waiting to see what the CBSA site actually says when they update it.

27 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Honestly this is a typical Canadian government bullshit make an announcement without actually changing anything. The inconvenience of a test is still required, still doing ‘random’ testing upon arrival. This is not a great announcement at all. If they don’t change anything this will drastically affect Canadian ports again for the Alaska season. Are the cruise lines going to go back to providing antigen tests on-board for each passenger the day before they get back to Vancouver? Or before the PSVA required stop in Victoria for ships sailing from Seattle? Expect the Alaskan governors to be in the news shortly looking for an extension on the PSVA exemption

I agree completely.

This doesn't change much for us since there is still a risk for fines should we test positive on an antigen test. 

At this point, we have no clue if we had Covid since we're not eligible for a PCR test in our province. Being asymptomatic doesn't mean we won't test positive in an antigen test.

A friend has tested positive in an antigen test for several months now...even though it's been suggested that antigen tests are not as sensitive.

Directly from CBSA. This means we can use the Switch Health tests on board right? Am I reading this correctly?

• Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Directly from CBSA. This means we can use the Switch Health tests on board right? Am I reading this correctly?

• Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.

That is how I'm reading it - only thing that I think isn't clear is why does the antigen test need to be taken THE day prior to flight or arrival at border.  Why can't it be same day?

That's what I understood. If they accepted the RT-LAMP tests before, they should accept the proctored Rapid Antigen test kits too.. CA$79 for 2 tests/kit isn't too bad.

39 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

why does the antigen test need to be taken THE day prior to flight or arrival at border

I didn't even read into that part.  I just assumed within 24 hours of crossing the border.

I was more focused on the "telehealth" and the "it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased".  That to me means Switch Health Rapid Antigen (2 for $79) is ok and since Switch Health purchased and authorized in Canada, it is also ok.  Does that sound right?

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I didn't even read into that part.  I just assumed within 24 hours of crossing the border.

I was more focused on the "telehealth" and the "it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased".  That to me means Switch Health Rapid Antigen (2 for $79) is ok and since Switch Health purchased and authorized in Canada, it is also ok.  Does that sound right?

Absolutely!  I just went on the switch website again and they specifically say "observed via a telehealth experience".  I just ordered a few more of the kits you referenced above.  These are authorized by health canada so I can't image there being issues (other than border agents who have no idea about them of course).  If they could just word the timelines clearer I think we are all set.

Well...this is confusing isn't it. It reads that the Switch Health test would be OK...if you bought it in Canada and it's the Switch Health test (BTW, Air Canada partners with Switch Health in case you weren't aware) it should be good.

Now...about the 'day before' part...??

On 2/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, recogneyes said:

This is terrific news in time for March Break.  Did you happen to notice if the Port Terminal in Bayonne is offering antigen tests and if so the price and turnaround time?  If they are not offering, then there is testing at most of the bridges.  Just trying to plan in advance. Thanks!

Antigen test at the terminal is $105us.    Im going to call Walgreens and make an appt in Niagara Falls NY.  Should be far less than that.  

20 minutes ago, Eddy said:

Antigen test at the terminal is $105us.    Im going to call Walgreens and make an appt in Niagara Falls NY.  Should be far less than that.  

Thanks and yikes  - that's expensive.  Hopefully Walgreen's or CVS can do them cheaper and do the paperwork required to travel back to canada.   I've heard from others that antigen testing at the border is $65 so that's an option as are the Switch Health antigen tests that you purchase before you leave Canada

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am wondering if I should go ahead and order now or wait for a few days...

So hard to know - if you make any short trips across the border then at least they would be handy to have for future.  I know they offer 1-3 day shipping for an extra $10 so even if you wait you should still be able to get them in lots of time.  They are going to have a lot of people buying these I would imagine!

Doesn't sound like the precise hour timer will be used unless going with molecular.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

"taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border"

56 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

My understanding is the Antigen test must be administered by a lab, health care unit. 

Quote" As of Feb. 28, a negative rapid antigen or PCR test results will be accepted to meet entry requirements. These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work."  from this link https://globalnews.ca/news/8619015/new-border-rules-covid/

I  think this excludes the switch health test kits

16 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

My understanding is the Antigen test must be administered by a lab, health care unit. 

Quote" As of Feb. 28, a negative rapid antigen or PCR test results will be accepted to meet entry requirements. These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work."  from this link https://globalnews.ca/news/8619015/new-border-rules-covid/

I  think this excludes the switch health test kits

Your quote is from Global News.  The quote I used is direct from CBSA.  I think I would lean more towards the government source...

44 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Your quote is from Global News.  The quote I used is direct from CBSA.  I think I would lean more towards the government source...

Yes, gov't website clearly references telehealth otherwise I would not touch them.  We ordered too just in case demand ramps up.  Plus, Air Canada sells them on their website as a solution to travel so I can't see them denying boarding with them.  I would take my chances arguing that at the airport for sure.  May be a little troublesome at the land border but can always reference the canadian govt travel site.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Doesn't sound like the precise hour timer will be used unless going with molecular.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

"taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border"

It's just worded poorly (not surprising)....it should say antigen test taken within one day of flight or arrival at land border.

The Canadian government has completely missed the mark here. We shouldn’t be celebrating the fact that we ‘only’ need an antigen test instead of a PCR test. It’s still a pita for travel. There is no reason that asymptomatic fully vaccinated Canadians should need to test in order to return to our country! What is the purpose? To prevent covid coming into our country? It’s here, travelling is not what is spreading it.

26 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

The Canadian government has completely missed the mark here. We shouldn’t be celebrating the fact that we ‘only’ need an antigen test instead of a PCR test. It’s still a pita for travel. There is no reason that asymptomatic fully vaccinated Canadians should need to test in order to return to our country! What is the purpose? To prevent covid coming into our country? It’s here, travelling is not what is spreading it.

It really struck me when certain countries closed their doors early in the pandemic to their own citizens such as ship crew trying to get home.  Canada has all but tried to do the same and still has been trying to effectively do that.

I just can't fathom a country refusing entry to its own citizens regardless of infection.  Turning away foreigners is one thing.  Turning away your own citizens is a massive red flag and I'm not going for a play on words with the red flag comment.  Scary country that would refuse to allow a citizen to come home, especially one who has no symptoms.  Presumed guilty, prove that you are not.

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

It really struck me when certain countries closed their doors early in the pandemic to their own citizens such as ship crew trying to get home.  Canada has all but tried to do the same and still has been trying to effectively do that.

I just can't fathom a country refusing entry to its own citizens regardless of infection.  Turning away foreigners is one thing.  Turning away your own citizens is a massive red flag and I'm not going for a play on words with the red flag comment.  Scary country that would refuse to allow a citizen to come home, especially one who has no symptoms.  Presumed guilty, prove that you are not.

Im agreeing with you here.  For those who have had covid or omicron, you are more immune than ever. And if you have had it recently and need to re test,  I'm wondering if it helps to to a nasal wash before testing.. or take a q-tip and dip it in rubbing alcohol, and clean that shnoz out?  minute bacterial particles can linger in the nostril... so this might be a good idea. Why so many people test positive and have no symptoms at all?   Just a thought/idea

16 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Absolutely!

6 minutes ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

The Switch Health / Aeroplan / telehealth is very interesting to me.  Anyone planning to try this in the coming weeks? I would love to hear how it goes.

I think we are going to give it a go for Oasis 3/13 in a few weeks. Seems to be the easiest option.

50 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

I guess you will be scheduling your appointment with Switch Health on disembarkation day or using voom service before disembarkation day?

Probably will use VOOM and do it the night before we disembark. If I did not have VOOM, I probably would not bother with the Switch Health option.