CANADA> NO MORE PCR TESTS ! BREAKING NEWS

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You still need an antigen test though

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/feds-to-eliminate-pre-arrival-pcr-testing-for-fully-vaccinated-canadian-travellers-source-says-1.5778453           You may be right... Antigen is far less expensive  .  $210 for pcr at the Port terminal in Bayonne!

1 hour ago, Eddy said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/feds-to-eliminate-pre-arrival-pcr-testing-for-fully-vaccinated-canadian-travellers-source-says-1.5778453           You may be right... Antigen is far less expensive  .  $210 for pcr at the Port terminal in Bayonne!

This is terrific news in time for March Break.  Did you happen to notice if the Port Terminal in Bayonne is offering antigen tests and if so the price and turnaround time?  If they are not offering, then there is testing at most of the bridges.  Just trying to plan in advance. Thanks!

40 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

This is terrific news in time for March Break.  Did you happen to notice if the Port Terminal in Bayonne is offering antigen tests and if so the price and turnaround time?  If they are not offering, then there is testing at most of the bridges.  Just trying to plan in advance. Thanks!

Im looking. We will drive to Niagara Falls .Might try a local Walgreens or CVS pharmacy.  Might take a hotel night stay at Seneca Niagara resort if worse comes to worse.  

1 hour ago, recogneyes said:

I emailed the port we have appointments for to find out if they do Antigen tests. We were doing the rapid PCR there as another option if needed it. If not, I’ll do a local Walgreens/CVS there or on our ride back to Toronto.

I’m also going to see if we can do the Abbott Antigen test that I would purchase from the USA side and use ….. if applicable. 

We will see how the antigen works for flying and driving when the news comes out next week. May also change by the time our Mid March cruise sails. The news kept saying “likely” antigen so let’s see what that actually means. 🤷🏻‍♀️

9 minutes ago, YellowBrickRoad said:

I emailed the port we have appointments for to find out if they do Antigen tests. We were doing the rapid PCR there as another option if needed it. If not, I’ll do a local Walgreens/CVS there or on our ride back to Toronto.

I’m also going to see if we can do the Abbott Antigen test that I would purchase from the USA side and use ….. if applicable. 

We will see how the antigen works for flying and driving when the news comes out next week. May also change by the time our Mid March cruise sails. The news kept saying “likely” antigen so let’s see what that actually means. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oh I'm so hoping that the antigen tests aren't even required.  If they will allow the Abbott tests then the Switch Health antigen tests should be allowed as well.  We could order those before we leave Canada.  Both proctored so should be no difference - plus the SH ones are Health Canada approved.  It is $65 to receive an antigen test near the border but those are 15 minute results.  Obviously if Walgreens or CVS can guarantee rapid results free then that's a great option too.

I am still crossing my fingers for Canada to follow the US...Antigen when arriving by air, attest to vax status at the land border.  That would be best case scenario.  All others lead to still having to be extra cautious on board so that we don't end up testing positive at the end. That's such a downer lol

28 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am still crossing my fingers for Canada to follow the US...Antigen when arriving by air, attest to vax status at the land border.  That would be best case scenario.  All others lead to still having to be extra cautious on board so that we don't end up testing positive at the end. That's such a downer lol

Exactly - I think this is the best we can hope for!

I’m curious if any Canadians who returned to Canada after cruising in the last few months have NOT been ‘randomly’ selected for additional testing. It’s happened to me both times and everyone I know who has cruised has been ‘randomly’ selected for additional testing upon arrival. 

5 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I’m curious if any Canadians who returned to Canada after cruising in the last few months have NOT been ‘randomly’ selected for additional testing. It’s happened to me both times and everyone I know who has cruised has been ‘randomly’ selected for additional testing upon arrival. 

We travelled from Miami back to Toronto in January.  Received our PCR tests at 9:30AM at the pier and everyone on our flight had to then line up at Pearson and take another PCR test.  With the lack of testing and resources for people who are actually sick we could not believe that the government was wasting so much time and resources to test us all again.  Obviously there were lots of people on our flight who had not taken a cruise - they were just testing everyone.

18 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

We were a group of 4 and I was the only one tested in dec.

21 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Quite the opposite for us.  We have taken two trips across the border since the US opened back up the land border early November.  Mid-November we went to NYC (not cruise related), drove to DTW and flew from there.  On return, at the land border, Hubby and one daughter were "randomly selected" for take home PCR.  They gave us Switch Health kits and told them to complete within 24 hours.  The following month, we sailed Allure and again flew DTW-FLL and drove back across the land border to return home.  No kids with us on that one and the border agent let us both go on our way, no random testing at all.

21 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

When we crossed the land border on Dec 31st (day we disembarked), we got our PCR tests on 30th on the Anthem. And I was randomly selected while the rest of my family was not. But he said I didn't have to quarantine while waiting for my results. I did anyway. Unfortunately, because I did it on Friday, the rep said that I can either wait to get it picked up on Tuesday or drop it off. So we just dropped it off. To be honest, I was sure it would be lost...but I got the negative result on Tuesday.

3 hours ago, Marlena said:

We were a group of 4 and I was the only one tested in dec.

Same as me.

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Good article about how anxious the Canadian travel industry is to get rid of all the border restrictions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/travel-vacation-bookings-covid-1.6351578

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Good article about how anxious the Canadian travel industry is to get rid of all the border restrictions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/travel-vacation-bookings-covid-1.6351578

Good article. We should here soon with the new changes. Likely on Friday. 🤞🏼

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am not too excited if we still need an antigen test. Other than cost, it doesn't really help much.

I hear you - I was so hoping that fully vaxxed could drive back across border without negative test.  No mention of potential fine with positive test being removed.    Reference was made to telehealth tests being allowed to enter Canada so I assume the switch health antigen tests should at least be allowed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8619015/new-border-rules-covid/

via this link

Quote:  When it comes to travelling on cruise ships, the government also says they will have a plan. “I can assure you that we will have more to say very soon about how testing for cruise ship travellers arriving at Canadian ports in time for cruise ship season this spring,” Alghabra said.

5 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

via this link

Quote:  When it comes to travelling on cruise ships, the government also says they will have a plan. “I can assure you that we will have more to say very soon about how testing for cruise ship travellers arriving at Canadian ports in time for cruise ship season this spring,” Alghabra said.

I'm taking that to mean Alaska cruising season ...... at least I hope that's what it means!!

8 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

via this link

That's concerning. Are they going to make cruise ship passengers test again to visit a port?