Bags and Excursions

agjones2

So we’re going on our first cruise Feb 20th and feel like I have most things figured out. One thing I’m not sure of/keep thinking about is what kind of bag do you all like to use when at port and on excursions? And do you feel comfortable leaving said bag at the beach, etc? For instance we have an excursion booked for Dunn River Falls. What do you do with your bag when you go out to the falls? Lol maybe I’m over thinking but curious to see what works best for everyone! 

We pack a string bag or a drugstore backpack (light and cheap).  I only carry the minimum - towel, seapass card, bottle of water, a little cash and my Rx snorkel mask for example.  With an excursion that includes transport, the guide or driver will tell you if you can leave your bag on the bus or not (usually you can) but it's like anything else - don't leave alone anything you'd really miss if it got lost or taken.  

When I go on an excursion I take along a backpack and a dry bag.  The dry bag carries things I don't want to get wet at all and everything including the cry bag goes into the backpack.  I SCUBA dive so that bag goes on the boat with me.  Never had an issue of things staying dry at all inside the dry bag.  The backpack gets a little wet but my towel and dry clothes are generally fine.  If I go to the beach and snorkel or something like that the dry bag goes with me into the water with anything that is valuable and the rest stays on the shore.  If someone wants my clothes and a towel that bad they are welcome to it though I doubt they will be happy with what they get.

I should also mention that my dry bag is quite large. 10L if I remember right. 

On 2/10/2022 at 10:06 PM, agjones2 said:

So we’re going on our first cruise Feb 20th and feel like I have most things figured out. One thing I’m not sure of/keep thinking about is what kind of bag do you all like to use when at port and on excursions? And do you feel comfortable leaving said bag at the beach, etc? For instance we have an excursion booked for Dunn River Falls. What do you do with your bag when you go out to the falls? Lol maybe I’m over thinking but curious to see what works best for everyone! 

We got soaked climbing the falls (my son and I), so I was glad my wife just watched.  She kept our bags.  Since then we purchased the phone-sized dry bags mentioned by others. I would never leave an unguarded bag with valuables in Jamaica.  The unemployment rate is very high and personal security can be an issue.

We always use a backpack that allows us to carry towels, sunblock and anything else we might need for our excursion.   We secure the backpack to our chair/lounger at the beach using the quick release straps on the backpack.  It won't stop a thief but prevents a thief from just walking by and grabbing the backpack and walking away.  We have seen commercial locks and cables for securing backpacks.  At Dunn River Falls we did use the available lockers and had no problems.