the quickest way to disembark

need2cruz

Hi, I booked a flight at 10AM out of Miami (MIA) for our return trip home to Ohio.  I know it's not recommended to book such an early flight, but the next direct  flight wasn't until late in the evening.  I'm going to try to get off the ship as early as possible.  Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get off the ship as quickly as possible?  I will have to check one bag, too.  I wasn't sure what was the most time efficient way to do this.

We were off Symphony at 7:15. You’ll have to carry all your luggage off. Like Matt said, you’re at the mercy of whenever the ship gets cleared. I would say the odds are in your favor but you never know. You’ll get info in your cabin on day 3 or 4 asking if you will do self debark and you can pick your time. 7-7:30 or 9-9:30. We forgot to do this but walked off at 7:15 with no issues and no waiting. I think they ask for flight times too. I didn’t pay attention to that because we drove. 

I really hope they keep this system of embark and debark times. Granted it was with reduced capacity but both ends were seamless and quick. 

25 minutes ago, Sharla said:

Yeah just don't put the luggage out the night before, and be in the Promenade or wherever the doors open to disembark (whatever deck you came in on the first day). Just be at that area at about 7 am and wait.

Thanks, I'll definitely take my own luggage then.  I would have guessed giving them a bag to check would have saved time, so I don't have to check it at the airport. 

2 hours ago, Jill said:

We were off Symphony at 7:15. You’ll have to carry all your luggage off. Like Matt said, you’re at the mercy of whenever the ship gets cleared. I would say the odds are in your favor but you never know. You’ll get info in your cabin on day 3 or 4 asking if you will do self debark and you can pick your time. 7-7:30 or 9-9:30. We forgot to do this but walked off at 7:15 with no issues and no waiting. I think they ask for flight times too. I didn’t pay attention to that because we drove. 

I really hope they keep this system of embark and debark times. Granted it was with reduced capacity but both ends were seamless and quick. 

Thanks for the info.  It's reassuring to hear that others have been able to walk off before 7:30.  We're on Symphony, too.  I know it is a bit of a risk going with a 10AM flight, but I think most likely we should be able to make it in time.  

We like to nonstop flights as well but 10:00 am is pushing the envelope.  We walked off a ship one time to make a 10:45 am flight.  The line to disembark started to build at 6:30 am.  We got to the airport in time and the TSA screening area was not that crowded.  The airline did change our gate 2 separate times and we got our aerobic walks as a "bonus??"  

Another cruise we had from Tampa bay was delayed 6 hours at the mouth of Tampa Bay as it was closed due to dense fog.  The captain said he had bad news and good news.  Tampa Bay was closed and we had to wait at the mouth of the bay BUT we were the first ship in line to enter once it opened.  He also said it was a 2 hour journey from our present position to being docked once the bay was reopened.  You could not believe the mess at the port terminal.  Several thousand passengers were waiting to board the ship and several thousand passengers were storming off the ship to try and fix or make travel connections.  I didn't get cell service until about an hour into the bay.

My point is all the stars have to align to make that 10:00 am flight.   

3 hours ago, need2cruz said:

Thanks, I'll definitely take my own luggage then.  I would have guessed giving them a bag to check would have saved time, so I don't have to check it at the airport. 

Giving Royal your bags has nothing to do with getting it to the airport.  If you put your bags in the hall, all Royal does is take them off the ship and organize them in a giant warehouse so you can find them.  For example, if you are in Disembarking Group 6, when they call that number to disembark, you get in line, get off the ship, and then find the signs for Group 6's baggage.  You cannot take multiple trips to get your luggage off the ship so if you have a lot of bags, you will need to follow this procedure.  If you can carry/roll everything in one trip, you can basically get off whenever your want.  The only delay is how many people got in line before you on the ship, then the line at customs on shore.

10am? You must like gambling there fellow Buckeye! On our last cruise, they didn't give us any guidance to pick self-disembark. You may want to stop by Guest Services on the first day to confirm. My understanding was the time to self-disembark is "first come, first served" so make sure you do that early.

Also, line up SUPER early. We lined up when we were supposed to and the line was HUGE. It goes fast once the doors opened, but the sooner the better.

Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor!

12 minutes ago, bryresangel said:

Also, line up SUPER early. We lined up when we were supposed to and the line was HUGE. It goes fast once the doors opened, but the sooner the better.

Post-COVID, they’re discouraging lining up and congregating in the public areas.  They encourage waiting in the rooms for the tag numbers to be called.

2 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Post-COVID, they’re discouraging lining up and congregating in the public areas.  They encourage waiting in the rooms for the tag numbers to be called.

True, but what is theoretically supposed to happen and what actually happens are two completely different things. Our line on the Independence went up, around the middle elevators and back..no one was worried about protocols. Which is why when we went down at the appointed time it still took a long time to disembark.

3 hours ago, bryresangel said:

True, but what is theoretically supposed to happen and what actually happens are two completely different things. Our line on the Independence went up, around the middle elevators and back..no one was worried about protocols. Which is why when we went down at the appointed time it still took a long time to disembark.

I can see two things that have caused the back up here:

One - people not complying with the departure procedures

Two - those manning the TV announcements sending people down while the exits/gangways were still backed up.  (In short, miscoordination)

(Skip this part if you don't like rants)

Something of this sort happened to us in Miami.  They called our numbers ahead of the scheduled departure time.  Naturally we heeded the on-screen announcements and left our rooms for departure.   Lo and behold, our luggage wasn't ready because of some malfunction in their system somewhere.  The people at the terminal did not want us to go into the baggage claim area citing risks and danger with all the forklifts still in operation.  So we began crowding in a small area at the base of the escalator with more people coming from the ship.  Chaos was brewing as the suite guests and Pinnacles start flashing their SeaPass cards and pins.   Whew! I couldn't keep myself from speaking up to ask the person in charge to radio the ship to stop more people from coming. She sternly told me, "I ALREADY DID!"  This was in Terminal G... not a very good place to be stuck in.    All of this could have been avoided with simple coordination.  I wonder what all of those two-way radios were for... props???

6 minutes ago, Linda R said:

Does RC still have the option, in some ports with certain airlines, for them to take your bags and check them in for you at the airport?   I haven't seen that offered in a while. But was handy sometimes and I used to use it.

We asked when we were onboard Oasis last week.  They said no. 

35 minutes ago, Linda R said:

Does RC still have the option, in some ports with certain airlines, for them to take your bags and check them in for you at the airport?   I haven't seen that offered in a while. But was handy sometimes and I used to use it.

I've only seen it in Seattle.

1 hour ago, Linda R said:

It's called Luggage Valet on Royal and I haven't seen them reinstate it since the restart yet.

36 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

That depends how quickly you swim

I know your trying to be funny  But when you don't know a person's situation, continuing to joke about them jumping off a ship isn't funny.  My daughter was recently murdered and I'm having a hard time emotionally.