RT-LAMP or RT PCR?

From BC

2 hours ago, From BC said:

Canada doesn’t accept rapid antigen tests for re-entry. Has to be RT-PCR or LAMP. We’re just wondering what other Canadians are doing.

We fly back on March 20th to Toronto and I've done a lot of research and have decided to test at the airport in Fort Lauderdale. Not sure about Barbados testing.

RT-LAMP test - if you are referring to the one offered by Aeroplan, people have posted that it's up to Border Services if they deem it acceptable as it's not processed in a laboratory. Arguably, the sample results test from the RT-LAMP test does not show it was via online health care and I've confirmed with Switch Health that they haven't had any reported issues of the border not accepting it. The only negative I've read is a) they are huge kits and take up a lot of luggage, and b) often they Malfunction (which ppl report Switch does not reimburse you). On the positive side, if you test on ship and are "positive" RC would need to be informed and all your accommodations for quarantine would be paid for 🙂

For us, testing at US Port is $210 (they don't offer on ship testing) vs. testing at the airport is $160 and results in 20-30 mins. At least if you get an "inconclusive" test, you are close to the testing center and I would argue for a re-test at no cost. 

Pharmacy is an option too, but most advertise "limited quantity" for the rapid PCR tests in the USA.  

Good luck! This has been a rollercoaster for the last week trying to find the most affordable and fastest test - lol 

27 minutes ago, Jen W said:

We fly back on March 20th to Toronto and I've done a lot of research and have decided to test at the airport in Fort Lauderdale. Not sure about Barbados testing.

RT-LAMP test - if you are referring to the one offered by Aeroplan, people have posted that it's up to Border Services if they deem it acceptable as it's not processed in a laboratory. Arguably, the sample results test from the RT-LAMP test does not show it was via online health care and I've confirmed with Switch Health that they haven't had any reported issues of the border not accepting it. The only negative I've read is a) they are huge kits and take up a lot of luggage, and b) often they Malfunction (which ppl report Switch does not reimburse you). On the positive side, if you test on ship and are "positive" RC would need to be informed and all your accommodations for quarantine would be paid for 🙂

For us, testing at US Port is $210 (they don't offer on ship testing) vs. testing at the airport is $160 and results in 20-30 mins. At least if you get an "inconclusive" test, you are close to the testing center and I would argue for a re-test at no cost. 

Pharmacy is an option too, but most advertise "limited quantity" for the rapid PCR tests in the USA.  

Good luck! This has been a rollercoaster for the last week trying to find the most affordable and fastest test - lol 

That sounds like the safest option - when I called Switch Health they told me they aren't aware of any issues but if you do a search on any issues, there's a few that made the news.  That and CBSA and Public Health both saying they aren't valid when you call make them just too much of a risk cost wise and peace of mind wise.  I still think it might come down to which border agent you get.  Still a chance Canada could change it's stance on requiring PCR / LAMP / NAAT tests before March Break...fingers crossed!