When will Allure of the seas get “Royal Amplified”/Refurbished?

Shan_Dakid

I’m sailing on Allure of the Seas August 6th. I’m really excited. It I couldn’t help but notice how outdated the ship looks compared to the rest of the Oasis Class ships that are either new or Amplified. If you guys know when it will be refurbished that would be so cool because I’m having trouble figuring out when this will happen considering the losses RCCL has had in the last couple years. 

I was actually wondering this same thing. We're sailing on the Allure in October and while I was looking at the deck plans last week it appeared that they were reflecting amplified changes from this summer and on. I checked again today and it looks like the deck plans are remaining the same now through April 2023. I know they announced that amplifications were on hold when Covid happened and with the Wonder just being delivered and more money tied up in new builds... I'm thinking that the Allure may stay un-amped for a bit. Would love to hear input from others that might be more in the know!

We're on the sailing right before you on Allure. I was wondering this myself. My long shot guess is that Icon will take the itineraries from her in Galveston in 2023 for the debut. Allure would then go to Europe to get refurbished. She's definitely due refurbished, but still has nearly all the oasis class offerings.

• 9 months later...

Looking for updates on this. I found an article from a not-so-great source (https://highseascruising.com/royal-caribbeans-royal-amplified/#Allure_of_the_Seas) stating that Allure should be Amped first half of 2023. But she has cruises scheduled for the entire of 2023 from Galveston, seems silly to sail her to Europe (assuming that's where it would take place) and back cancelling all those cruises. Anyone have any updates?

@nate91 i wouldn't put too much stock in that article, unfortunately.

it was my understanding that the allure amplification was put indefinitely on hold.

like, they can decide to pick it up at some point, but i would think best case scenario that they wouldn't take her out of rotation until there is at least one new ship (icon, perhaps?) or even utopia to pick up the offset.

we were originally scheduled to sail on her post-amp/pre-covid and that didn't happen 🥲 but matt put out a great video highlighting the unique charms of allure, if that softens the blow at all 💚

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/08/23/the-oasis-class-features-are-only-left-allure-of-the-seas

like my personal favorite: the champagne bar!! 😍

1 hour ago, nate91 said:

Looking for updates on this. I found an article from a not-so-great source (https://highseascruising.com/royal-caribbeans-royal-amplified/#Allure_of_the_Seas) stating that Allure should be Amped first half of 2023. But she has cruises scheduled for the entire of 2023 from Galveston, seems silly to sail her to Europe (assuming that's where it would take place) and back cancelling all those cruises. Anyone have any updates?

I find that really hard to believe (2023).

Allure had her mandatory drydock in 2020 which was supposed to be the amplification but all they did was the essential marine work due to COVID (I was on the transatlantic to Spain when the toilet paper crisis hit in March 2020).  She was supposed to dry dock and amplify immediately following the TA.  While they cancelled the amplification they eventually managed to get her to a shipyard to fix the broken azipod and other marine maintenance not long after the transatlantic.  

That makes her next scheduled mandatory shipyard visit in 2025.  It would be unusual to take a ship out of service for no other reason than an amplification.  The amplifications are normally piggybacked onto the 5 year drydocks for the mandatory maintenance.  If they take her out of service in 2023 for a 6 - 8 week amplification they'd have to take her out of service again in 2025 anyways. 

The 5 year marine dry docks are absolute and there is no changing them.  If she doesn't do the 5 year dry dock she loses her certificate to sail.  Amplifications are optional in terms of the legal authority to carry passengers with a certificate to sail.  They can't do the 5 year work early, the dry dock must occur in 2025.  Set your calendars to it.

I just don't see them taking her to Europe twice just to amplify anytime before 2025.  

On 2/6/2022 at 7:01 PM, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

We're on the sailing right before you on Allure. I was wondering this myself. My long shot guess is that Icon will take the itineraries from her in Galveston in 2023 for the debut. Allure would then go to Europe to get refurbished. She's definitely due refurbished, but still has nearly all the oasis class offerings.

No need to guess, Icon is out of Miami from January 2024, through at least April 2025.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/icon-of-the-seas

Perhaps once ICON 2 is finished late 2024 or 2025, Galveston will get an Icon class.

Honestly, I'm totally cool with it, was just curious. Just booked a Boardwalk View balcony toward the back of Allure for next summer and was excited for the view of no slides. Also I LOVE Sabor and the Avocado Margarita, so I'm perfectly happy to have an unredone ship. That article just made me wonder!

2025 while in drydock would make the most sense.  I imagine "amplifications" will evolve too, and if so, Allure may get a "Royal Amp V2."  It might make sense for a version 2 amplification to give the Allure many of the features that we will see on Utopia.  At that point, every Oasis-class ship would have some flavor of "amplified" features, with slight variations to prevent the ships being cookie-cutter copies of each other.

Before getting on Allure in August, I kept hoping it would get whisked away to get amped (mainly cuz I really want to try the ultimate Abyss) but now that I've done it, it was really fun with so much to do already, I'm actually good if it waits til 2025. In fact, it may give me a chance to hop on an Oasis class again for a lower than normal cost in 2024!