Crown and Anchor tier levels need changes?

Censored

Do you think the perks and benefits for all the levels within this program need some changes?   Pinnacle seems unattainable for most, unless you live to be 90 years of age and cruise every month !   I met one gentleman who was a pinnacle at age 44!!!  What!?    I think if you live in Florida, and go on a lot of weekend cruises, along with week cruises is how he does it.   Do you think there should be a another level created between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle? 

I think there are internal levels of Diamond Plus and Pinnacle not posted.   Super Mario is the highest of all.  

When you normalize Crown and Anchor versus other cruise lines they are all very similar.  Normalization is required since they use different points systems and the top levels vary in terms of the absolute number required.  Carnival for example tops out at 200, Celebrity at 3,000, NCL and Royal at 700.  

What the graph does show is the weird anomaly between Platinum and Emerald for Royal.  Platinum should probably be lowered slightly for a smoother transition compared to the other cruise lines.

As mentioned there are incremental perks within Diamond Plus between 175 and 700.  They are published so it's not a secret, just something that isn't discussed frequently.  

Cruise Line Loyalty Charts.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed last Nov.and we’re so disappointed in crown and anchor! We are diamond plus members with over 30 cruises with Royal and very upsetting on treatment of diamond plus members. Started with boarding; as in past we   had line just for us when I asked employee where line for diamond plus is he chuckled and pointed to end of the line.??? WHY does someone on FIRST cruise staying in suite get better and more benefits than us. We have so much more money$$ invested in 30 plus cruises than someone in a suite .We always cruise 2 times a year. We are now looking into other cruise lines as many other diamond and diamond plus members we spoke with and met on this cruise. Some had already signed up with Norwegian. Hopefully things will get better soon. Sad to lose the people that are so devoted to Royal. 

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

We sailed last Nov.and we’re so disappointed in crown and anchor! We are diamond plus members with over 30 cruises with Royal and very upsetting on treatment of diamond plus members. Started with boarding; as in past we   had line just for us when I asked employee where line for diamond plus is he chuckled and pointed to end of the line.??? WHY does someone on FIRST cruise staying in suite get better and more benefits than us. We have so much more money$$ invested in 30 plus cruises than someone in a suite .We always cruise 2 times a year. We are now looking into other cruise lines as many other diamond and diamond plus members we spoke with and met on this cruise. Some had already signed up with Norwegian. Hopefully things will get better soon. Sad to lose the people that are so devoted to Royal. 

‘Do you know you get FIVE FREE $13 drinks every day as a Diamond Plus?  That’s $65 FREE every day!  You get early access to the seating at shows, you get cabin discounts when you book your cruises, free behind the scenes tours when they start back up ($100 plus per person value), choice of amenities to be left in your room every cruise …….. even the few times we haven’t stayed in suites, it’s never takes us longer to board than 20 minutes in the regular line ………. We only just became Diamond Plus this week and are VERY HAPPY with what we’ll get on our next cruise in a couple weeks on Wonder!

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

So due to covid restrictions that all cruise lines are faced with, you're leaving Royal Caribbean because you're outraged people paying for a premium product are one of the few that still get boarding perks?

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

There has been no “special line” for Diamond or Diamond Plus since the re-start and that was pretty clear in what Royal has published. Suites and Pinnacles can board early and that’s it until Covid is officially over. 

We will be Diamond Plus end of October and personally I’m thrilled to reach this point. As @ChrisK2793pointed out, the perks are many. More than any other cruise line offers. 

FWIW, it’s never taken us longer than 20 minutes to get onboard pre Covid and during Covid. 

They'll be back.  

And for the record a line outside the terminal for D+ has never been been an official perk of CAS.   The priority boarding perk once checked in saved maybe 5 minutes best case back in the day.  D+ were able to walk on a few minutes before the No CAS folks.  All this drama over 5 minutes of time on board? 

On 2/5/2022 at 10:25 AM, Vancity Cruiser said:

I would assume gold. With the exception of us cruise crazies on this board most people probably only cruise once a year or once every 2 years

That's my assumption too; with the majority C&A members below Diamond as the benefits aren't much before, comparatively speaking. I'd anticipate cruisers at Diamond and above are cruising frequently enough that any comps being offered, most famously those drink vouchers, are more than paid for with the amount of spend with Royal. 

Another thing I suspect is many people who cruise annually are jumping between lines looking for the best deal. While I haven't seen this mentioned in discussions, the amount of vacation time and mean household income in the US means most (at least for the US) aren't going to be racing up the C&A levels. Assuming earning 1 cruise point per night and 1 cruise per year, it'd take 12 years to hit Diamond. 

As a data point, one of Royal's automated marketing emails to my account thanked me for being one of their best customers... after having booked 3 cruises sometime in the future and currently at Pre-Gold. So I'm assuming the average number booked is 2 or less per year.

3 hours ago, Dottie said:

You now are looking into other cruise lines because you were not allowed to board before first time cruisers who actually purchased a suite🤣🤣.  No disrespect but I don't know if I'm buying what you are trying to sell us.  I'm diamond plus with Royal and the perks that come with diamond plus status far outweigh not being able to board first if I'm not staying in a suite.

38 minutes ago, Rackham said:

That's my assumption too; with the majority C&A members below Diamond as the benefits aren't much before, comparatively speaking. I'd anticipate cruisers at Diamond and above are cruising frequently enough that any comps being offered, most famously those drink vouchers, are more than paid for with the amount of spend with Royal. 

Another thing I suspect is many people who cruise annually are jumping between lines looking for the best deal. While I haven't seen this mentioned in discussions, the amount of vacation time and mean household income in the US means most (at least for the US) aren't going to be racing up the C&A levels. Assuming earning 1 cruise point per night and 1 cruise per year, it'd take 12 years to hit Diamond. 

As a data point, one of Royal's automated marketing emails to my account thanked me for being one of their best customers... after having booked 3 cruises sometime in the future and currently at Pre-Gold. So I'm assuming the average number booked is 2 or less per year.

Thank you for being one of most frequent posters!

I think some of these "negative nellies" have misread and misremembered. I recall being on Allure a diamond member was very upset she was allowed in, right away. Despite there being a line. She said "corporate" would hear about this.......🤣

I would be happy with D+ and 340 so I can get a lower solo supplement.

That being said I think my biggest issue is that people focus on the benefits/perks as if it is a guarantee and not a privilege. I am going to cruise........so a loyalty program is great, it keeps me one place doing/buying something I love and would already partake in. I think the C&A tiers are the right amount. You have to have ridiculous top tiers. 700 nights is a feat. It's a goal, that not a lot will achieve but many will strive for.

Diamond is the 4th tier and offers a great number of perks. It isn't hard to achieve so, it is a perfect end if you don't think you will make it farther.  Loyalty programs aren't designed for the average anything, they are designed for fans.  The average person who is only booking 1 cruise a year won't care about gold, platinum etc....so in truth they don't matter. In the C&A game what matters is the person who has 3+ cruises a year. The person who books a suite to maximize points. 

We started cruising with Royal in 2001 and we hit D on Navigator in 2018, so "only" 17 years later. We got one D cruise in before Covid shut everything down and were so pleased to have got there. At that time, making D+ looked like another long "slog" but thanks to the double points promo we may actually get there in a couple of years. In the meantime we should get our first ever crystal block on Anthem in September. 

Living in Europe and not sailing in suites means pinnacle is a pipe dream for us unless we win the lottery but we will be happy with the D+ amenities for the foreseeable future even if we can't move any farther up the ladder. 

15 hours ago, Dottie said:

I do understand it when a loyal guest feels let down.  However, I think one needs to consider the impact of Covid.  I am willing to be patient for up to one year.  What I miss most about boarding is not having coffee and cookies at the terminal!  We have three cruises booked this year to make up for lost time, and then I will evaluate whether Crown and Anchor benefits have slipped.  I think the drink voucher program was a great innovation and makes up for a lot.   Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, FionaMG said:

We started cruising with Royal in 2001 and we hit D on Navigator in 2018, so "only" 17 years later. We got one D cruise in before Covid shut everything down and were so pleased to have got there. At that time, making D+ looked like another long "slog" but thanks to the double points promo we may actually get there in a couple of years. In the meantime we should get our first ever crystal block on Anthem in September. 

Living in Europe and not sailing in suites means pinnacle is a pipe dream for us unless we win the lottery but we will be happy with the D+ amenities for the foreseeable future even if we can't move any farther up the ladder. 

At what level do you get the crystal Block?

On 2/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, Matt said:

Years ago, Michael Bayley answered this question and said there are already more tiers in Royal's policy than any other line.

There could be 36 tiers but how they are earned is the question.  I have said several times in our personal situation we will never earn Pinnacle status so we are no longer tied to RCCL.  We will try other cruise lines. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another leaded crystal block reminder:

The x-ray machine operator can't identify it easily and causes additional screening many times. Having them shipped is the best way if you fly home from the ship. Do NOT pack them in your checked luggage and even with "pre-check" at the airport, I remove "it" from my carry-on for the scan. 

Throwing 2 pennies in the pot >>>>>>>>>>>>

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have 49 points, on my next cruise (Ovation of the Seas, May 13, 2022, Alaska) I'll earn 24 points (double points for Suites and RCCL doubling that).  So, while on that cruise I'll achieve Emerald Status.  On my November cruise (Harmony, 8 day, Caribbean) I'll earn 7 points (not a suite on this cruise).  That will put me into Diamond status.  So, in two cruises, I've gone from Platinum to Diamond.  Too bad I don't get the benefits of Diamond until my 3rd cruise which isn't booked, YET.  

I really don't care about Pinnacle, I'll never earn that as I'm 70 years old.  But, I can sure try.  I started cruising late in life (even though I'm retired from Port Everglades), thanks to my wife demanding that I start, glad I did, it's great (Thank you, Marian).  But, for the first several years I was loyal to Carnival.  They turned to crap and now I'm loyal to Royal.  If I make it to Diamond +, I'll be very happy.  But, I'm in very good shape, my wife is in very good shape and we'll give it a good go.  Well, that's as long as we get inflation under control.  

No, I don't live in the Villages nor do I intend to.  Those people are OLD! 😀

On 3/12/2022 at 9:39 AM, Hagar said:

Another leaded crystal block reminder:

The x-ray machine operator can't identify it easily and causes additional screening many times. Having them shipped is the best way if you fly home from the ship. Do NOT pack them in your checked luggage and even with "pre-check" at the airport, I remove "it" from my carry-on for the scan. 

Throwing 2 pennies in the pot >>>>>>>>>>>>

I've flown at least ten times with them in checked luggage.  Never had an issue. 

Edited by twangster
Correct confusing verbiage

2 hours ago, atseau said:

Just askin Why?

Because I used to fly to all of my cruises. 

Pre-pandemic they didn't give you an option to have them shipped, they arrived in your cabin.  With a backpack full of camera gear I didn't need the extra weight in my backpack so they went in my checked luggage.  Never had an issue.  

I see there's always one of those 'hit and run' posters here who slam Royal and swear to never cruise with them again...and then just disappear. Oh, well.....    

But, if you are still here...please let me share with you my opinion;

I know that I am very blessed to be able to cruise quite frequently. I got hooked on cruising in 2015 and since then, I have achieved Ambassador status on Norwegian and Pinnacle status on Royal. Both require the same number of cruise points (700). I started with NCL because I had friends onboard and others who also sailed frequently. Then, I changed to Royal. 

I can say, based on my experiences, that Royal's Crown and Anchor loyalty program is much better than Norwegian's Lattitudes...especially as you rise in levels. Even though the amount of points are similar, Royal gives so many more...and better...benefits. Look up both programs and compare them.

And no...I'm not connected to either cruise line. Just my honest opinion.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

I've flown with at least ten of them in checked luggage.  Never had an issue.  

I initially understood this to mean that you had ALL 10 of your glass blocks in your checked luggage.  I thought you wanted to display them in your cabin while sailing.  After reading your other reply, I now got it.