Voom on Adventure

bcarney

Enjoy Adventure! That's not awful, I'm not positive but I think I remember that on Allure two weeks ago I was at 3.5down and 3.2 up

Just checked my history while on Allure Oct 30, 2016; 10000ms/3.49 down/3.08 up, and I never had any issues with video calls or periscopes

Actually I prefer no connectivity ... disconnecting from the rest of the world is one of the things I like best about cruises, but maybe that's just me.  ;)

Alas, with aging parents I need to keep an eye on and job duties that can't be tuned off for a week, I can't go without internet access anymore.

The issue isn't the speed, but the ping.  That ping time is very high, and it's why it takes a long time to do something.  As an example, uploading/downloading a file will work just fine, but that interim period when you click the button and wait for something to happen is a result of the high ping.  The high latency seems to be on non-Oasis/Quantum class ships.  

The issue isn't the speed, but the ping.  That ping time is very high, and it's why it takes a long time to do something.  As an example, uploading/downloading a file will work just fine, but that interim period when you click the button and wait for something to happen is a result of the high ping.  The high latency seems to be on non-Oasis/Quantum class ships.

I was able to Facebook Live a couple of times (oddly enough the best location to do that was on my balcony), but Pericope wouldn't work for me at all, either as a broadcaster or a viewer.

• 1 month later...

Alas, with aging parents I need to keep an eye on and job duties that can't be tuned off for a week, I can't go without internet access anymore.

So what was your overall takeway from Voom on AOS, I too was planning to have it to check in with the kids and parents via iMessage or facetime. Should I keep my package or look for a cell pkg on port days?

So what was your overall takeway from Voom on AOS, I too was planning to have it to check in with the kids and parents via iMessage or facetime. Should I keep my package or look for a cell pkg on port days?

I wouldn't rely on it for anything video related, so FaceTime is out.  iMessage may work, but there was one whole day where there was no internet connectivity at all, so have a backup plan just in case.

Halee has been Periscoping regularly with Voom on Adventure of the Seas this week, which is a very good indication that the internet speeds on Adventure are "up to snuff"

Could very well be; I was on the second sailing after the semi-refurb, so they've had several weeks to tweak the system.

FWIW, Halee has had mixed experiences with Voom working or not for Periscope.  On Freedom, I had somewhat similar experiences, although if Periscope didn't work, I just keep re-trying until it did. Or I moved to somewhere less crowded.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up.  Voom worked consistently for me each day as for messaging, Facetiming and Snapchatting. At times it wasn't the best connection but still able to communicate.  It struggled to load a lot of pages and stay on top of email. So it met our needs of keeping in touch with the kids, but I feel it could still use some upgrades to warrant the "surf & stream" title and price.