Partial capacity

RCVoyager

33 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

No, they are still not sailing at full capacity. Liberty only has about 1500 guests on it this week while her double occupany is 3800.

Do you have an idea of whether this is because of capacity vs. demand? It's hard to gauge the max capacity this time of year because I don't know that very many cruise ships would be full anyway, even if COVID weren't an issue. It seems like they were trying to stretch it as far as they could during the holidays when they could fill the rooms. 

I'm cruising during spring break and am wondering how much they're going to test capacity at that point, particularly since Omicron is fading. 

6 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Do you have an idea of whether this is because of capacity vs. demand? It's hard to gauge the max capacity this time of year because I don't know that very many cruise ships would be full anyway, even if COVID weren't an issue. It seems like they were trying to stretch it as far as they could during the holidays when they could fill the rooms. 

I'm cruising during spring break and am wondering how much they're going to test capacity at that point, particularly since Omicron is fading. 

Covid. They would love to sail with cabins full of guests. They are losing money when they sail below 60%. I have sailed 3 times since start and going again next week. Although I enjoy no crowds, no lines and no issues getting a pool lounger, I hate that our amazing crew is potentially missing out on much needed AND well deserved gratuities.  I miss the Quest, pool games, disco parties and the energy on the Promenade.  

48 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Per their quarterly results posted today, the plan is for full capacity to return in the third quarter of 2022.

7 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Read that but not getting the capacity part.   So I can expect my March 2022 Harmony sailing to be at something less than capacity?

More or less. Remember, these figures are across the fleet and all brands. They don't break down per ship or company (RCI, Celebrity, Silver Sea).

I think there's a good chance you wont be at 100% in March, but there's no guarantee.

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

I think capacity. They closed the sailing for new bookings a few weeks ago.

I would think that even if RCCL decides to expand passenger capacity, that they could not go to 100% due to having to reserve several rooms for quarantining guests and crew members who contract Covid or become exposed to someone contracting Covid while on board. That would have to be a significant number of rooms. Yes? No?

My guess could be wrong. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Per their quarterly results posted today, the plan is for full capacity to return in the third quarter of 2022.

Yea.. and last time they said they were going to be at something like 60 or 70% and from what everyone reported here it was clear they were much higher than that over the holidays on some ships. I think they're skewing the numbers to their advantage. By using fleet-wide totals and taking into account the many cruises that, to this point, aren't nearly full due to lower demand and reduced capacity, they give the perception that they're being careful and not filling ships, which eases concerns of some patrons. When, in fact, some ships are full. 

I don't know if that's still the case, but it seemed to be in December. 

One thing I did notice while booking for the Mariner this March is that I don't believe I ever saw two rooms available right next to one another. Many maps had every other room available. For the number of times I saw it on different decks, it leads me to believe it's not a coincidence. So it's likely they're  either: 1) reducing capacity and only allowing spaced rooms to book (although I have to imagine they aren't limiting to 50% capacity), or, more likely, 2) only allowing rooms to be next to one another once every other room fills up. 

40 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Yea.. and last time they said they were going to be at something like 60 or 70% and from what everyone reported here it was clear they were much higher than that over the holidays on some ships.

Remember, the numbers they talk about is across all companies, not just RCI. And it's an average, so you're going to have higher and lower.

20 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I would think that even if RCCL decides to expand passenger capacity, that they could not go to 100% due to having to reserve several rooms for quarantining guests and crew members who contract Covid or become exposed to someone contracting Covid while on board. That would have to be a significant number of rooms. Yes? No?

My guess could be wrong. 

Those rooms won't stay quarantine rooms forever

I'm on Anthem now and we only have 1,446 total passengers onboard a ship that can when 100% full can carry 4,600 guest (at double occupancy with children) that of course is far fewer than Royal had hoped for but then this cruise did leave out of Bayonne where it was 26 degrees F (-3 C) when we left port.  Not to worry by the next morning it was up to 59 degrees F (15 C) and all the northerns we shed our jackets and pants for shorts, tee shirts and flip flops. Just a few days before I left Chicago we had several day time high temperatures only in the lower teens 12 F(-11 C), 13 F (-10 C) so 59 was for sure shorts and tee shirt weather.  I was talking with the concierge and he told me they have been told to expect to cruises on Anthem return to around 55% capacity by mid-February or early March. They are (at least on Anthem) seeing a lot of people book at the last minute 2 weeks out or even 1 week out from set sail.  I myself booked this cruise literally days before set sail  so hearing that didn't surprise me. 

On 2/5/2022 at 3:59 AM, smokeybandit said:

Those rooms won't stay quarantine rooms forever

They will likely stay quarantine rooms for a long while though.  The RCCL press release after the shareholder meeting, that Matt posted on his blog, says full capacity by third or fourth quarter of this year; however, capacity in the industry is a misleading topic.

I have worked in hotels where they state 100% capacity when they were not.  I later found out that many base capacity based upon the number of offered rooms.  For instance, a hotel has 5,000 capacity but closes a few floors and only offers 4,000.  They have 3,000 check-ins.  That's 75% capacity based upon the number of offered rooms. 

I am certainly not saying that RCCL will do this.  In fact, from my understanding, RCCL announces how many guests on board at the time of cruising.  So, it becomes simple math.  

However, with covid continuing its mutations, and remembering that covid started with one person, perhaps a few, things escalate quickly.  They will likely continue to reserve rooms for quarantine.