What constitutes "carry-on" luggage?

bjt0315

Our cruise leaves Saturday morning, but we're driving down Friday evening so our bags are all packed and ready to go. My husband and I each have a carry-on bag: one small roller (19x13x7.5) and one smaller actual carry bag (14x5.5x11.5). Does my small purse count as an additional carry-on or will I need to try and cram it into one of the other two prior to boarding? Thanks!

Our cruise leaves Saturday morning, but we're driving down Friday evening so our bags are all packed and ready to go. My husband and I each have a carry-on bag: one small roller (19x13x7.5) and one smaller actual carry bag (14x5.5x11.5). Does my small purse count as an additional carry-on or will I need to try and cram it into one of the other two prior to boarding? Thanks!

You can carry on as much as you can carry yourselves.  The only stipulation is that they must fit through regularly airport sized x-ray machines.  Based on the dimensions you've provided, your bags will fit.

While you are not limited on the number of bags you can carry on, keep in mind that rooms will not be available until 1 or 2 p.m.; thus, you'll need to carry the bags with you until that time.

Exactly, it's not like flying whereas you're limited to the number of carry-on's ..... In this case, since the rooms aren't available till 1:00 and you might not receive your luggage till later, the idea of a carry-on is designed to get you through till your luggage arrives (documents, prescription meds, change of clothes/bathing suit, etc.) -- but the real pain is having to lug it around with you till the rooms open up.  Although, I did see something new when I was on Grandeur, there is a area (the South Pacific Lounge) where you can check your carry-on till the rooms open up -- I didn't take advantage of this but I thought it was interesting, it acted similarly to a coat check at a restaurant.

Exactly, it's not like flying whereas you're limited to the number of carry-on's ..... In this case, since the rooms aren't available till 1:00 and you might not receive your luggage till later, the idea of a carry-on is designed to get you through till your luggage arrives (documents, prescription meds, change of clothes/bathing suit, etc.) -- but the real pain is having to lug it around with you till the rooms open up.  Although, I did see something new when I was on Grandeur, there is a area (the South Pacific Lounge) where you can check your carry-on till the rooms open up -- I didn't take advantage of this but I thought it was interesting, it acted similarly to a coat check at a restaurant.

In addition to the items listed above as items you want to carry-on I would include anything of value.  Jewelry, cameras, tablets, etc.  It may not be common but I have heard stories of items going "missing" when people received there bags.  Basically use common sense.

In addition to the items listed above as items you want to carry-on I would include anything of value.  Jewelry, cameras, tablets, etc.  It may not be common but I have heard stories of items going "missing" when people received there bags.  Basically use common sense.

Good point Sox. My wife and I use small backpacks for our carry on stuff. Also works when we fly.

Like Doc and Coney said you can take as many bags as you want on the ship.  We take a small bag for documents and meds so we don't have as much to lug around for 2 or 3 hrs.  A little off the subject but when we get our bags at the room the first thing we do is unpack and put clothes in the drawers and hangers.  We found it is so much nicer to not live out of a suitcase for 7 days.  This only takes 20-30 minutes out of the day.  Bring a laundry bag for dirty clothes and put them in an empty suitcase at the end of the cruise so it takes even less time to pack up to leave.  Remember to leave out clothes to wear the last day of the cruise before you put your luggage out in the hall for pick up the last nite.  Have fun....I know you will

Carry what's comfortable to carry, and that you don't want to do without if you aren't reunited with your luggage for a few hours...personally, I hate lugging stuff around, so I wear a swimsuit under my clothes...eat and chill out until around 1 when your room should be ready...you can carry everything on board if you really want to...but that's a pain especially when you are first learning your way around the ship.

Thanks y'all. We wound up with 2 carry-ons because we're staying at a hotel tonight. One bag has all the stuff we didn't want in our checked bags and change of clothes once we board, the other toiletries and change of clothes for hotel tonight. Trying to make it easier for hotel stay. I may try and pack the smaller carry on stuff in our larger suitcase in the morning. I do have bags for our dirty clothes. We've traveled before, but never any that involved airports or cruises or dealing with checked bags. Other than a deployment, in which case I had as much crammed in a backpack as I could. lol

A general tip for anyone flying and checking bags.  We always "cross pack" our bags.  Meaning that we spread our clothes out across our checked bags as opposed to each packing our own bags.  This way if one bag doesn't make the flight and you don't get it before your cruise (something that we came within about 5 minutes of having happen to us) You at least each have clothes for the trip.

When we arrived via plane, to our hotel, I repacked the carry on for the cruise. On the plane, we packed essentials in case our checked luggage got lost. Such as one dress for formal, one bathing suits, one shorts etc so we could do the cruise without that lost luggage. Then at the hotel I repacked just one rolling carry one with valuables, meds and clothes we needed till we got to our room. I hated sitting at the crowded Park Cafe trying to eat lunch and handle the suit case. So this next cruise my carry on to the ship will be meds, and valuables mostly. They most likely won't lose my luggage from in front of the ship, on to the ship. I'm going to trust the process more. If I have to wear my boarding clothes to the first sit down casual supper, I will. 

Everyone has had common sense answers, so this will be a little repeat I guess. You can carry on whatever you can carry, basically. I always carry on anything that is either too important that I can't risk it going missing, like medication, or too fragile for me to risk being manhandled in to the rooms, like my ukulele. Also, anything you might need that first day. Gonna hang by the pool? Maybe a swimsuit or sunscreen.