Taking food off the Ship into Port?

KD412

Hello! We are sailing next month and stopping at Labadee, Coco Cay, St. Thomas, and San Juan. I know food is included at the Royal destinations, but we are planning full days in Sanh Juan and St. Thomas. I’m normally one to pack a lunch for a long vacation day rather than eating out. I’m wondering if we’d be okay to grab something like the prepackaged sandwiches available on the ship to carry off and eat later in Port? I don’t want to break any rules, just wondering if that’s an option. Thank you! 

I have never seen pre-packaged food on the ship other than candy. I know that fruits and vegetables are a big no no. We carry off bottled water and then sample some local food. If you just need a snack, pack some peanut butter crackers or some peanuts in your luggage and then take ashore to hold you over.

Personally, I would not take anything other than bottled water or "powerade" off the ship.  Rules constantly change it's not worth the risk that suddenly bananas are a prohibited item. Even a "full day" is not more than about 8 hours, so i'd think if you eat a good breakfast on the ship you'd be able to make it 🙂

9 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I have never seen pre-packaged food on the ship other than candy. I know that fruits and vegetables are a big no no. We carry off bottled water and then sample some local food. If you just need a snack, pack some peanut butter crackers or some peanuts in your luggage and then take ashore to hold you over.

I thought several places like Cafe Promenade had things like individually wrapped sandwiches and such. That’s the kind of stuff I was talking about. 

2 hours ago, MDabney said:

If you pack some zip loc sandwich size bags in your luggage, you can wrap your sandwich in paper napkins and then put it in the zip loc sandwich bag.  You can also get sandwiches and individual bags of chips from cafe 270. Good luck. 

I've done this many times in St. Thomas.  We always book a full day private boat for snorkeling, and while drinks are provided, food is not.  We travel with a small cooler for meds, and I always travel with a variety of ziplock bags anyway.  I just whip up to windjammer the night before and get sandwich fixings and pack them out the next day.    No one has ever asked to look in the cooler, but I figure worst that can happen is I'll be made to toss the food.