RC Announced onboard protocols through April 14

Before all the posts complaining about this start, think about this for a moment.  The cruise lines (including RCCL) are a multi-billion dollar industry.  Is it realistic that they would almost all follow the same protocols based on some political agenda or outdated information?  They are blindly following the CDC, otherwise they would not be sailing.  These are the protocols developed by people with far more knowledge and resources than any of us.  They were actually developed by the CILA before anything was required by the CDC.  We all have our opinions on the subject, some want stricter protocells, or at least stricter enforcement (like me), others want no protocols.  However, I have realized that what they are doing is working, so even without the strict enforcement I would like to see (which involves expecting people to follow rules even when they don't like them as much as any safety concern) what they are doing is working.  So I really have no basis to argue that I know more than they do, but neither does anyone else here.  Whether or not to cruise under these conditions is an absolutely personal decision, but it's more than a little arrogant to assume we know more than they do.

34 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Before all the posts complaining about this start, think about this for a moment.  The cruise lines (including RCCL) are a multi-billion dollar industry.  Is it realistic that they would almost all follow the same protocols based on some political agenda or outdated information?  They are blindly following the CDC, otherwise they would not be sailing.  These are the protocols developed by people with far more knowledge and resources than any of us.  They were actually developed by the CILA before anything was required by the CDC.  We all have our opinions on the subject, some want stricter protocells, or at least stricter enforcement (like me), others want no protocols.  However, I have realized that what they are doing is working, so even without the strict enforcement I would like to see (which involves expecting people to follow rules even when they don't like them as much as any safety concern) what they are doing is working.  So I really have no basis to argue that I know more than they do, but neither does anyone else here.  Whether or not to cruise under these conditions is an absolutely personal decision, but it's more than a little arrogant to assume we know more than they do.

I don't think many would say "ditch all protocols" but I think many want realistic protocols that match the current state of things.  Most protocols (other than vaccine requirements) developed by CLIA and CDC are from summer 2020. 

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't think many would say "ditch all protocols" but I think many want realistic protocols that match the current state of things.  Most protocols (other than vaccine requirements) developed by CLIA and CDC are from summer 2020. 

And you don't think that they have taken any of the changes into consideration and are just "blindly following the CDC" as so many people say?  Honestly, I think they are using the most up to date information.  I think they are looking at it from a health point of view (both passengers and crew).  However I admit that they are also probably considering political and marketing information as well.  I think they are making the decisions that they think are most beneficial to their industry.   But you may be right, I may be crazy.  But I don't think you are looking for a lunatic, and that would be a bit harsh for my point of view.

Latest poll: 70% of Americans are ready to put Covid in the rear view. Double vaxxed and boosted are getting sick too. I don’t think boosters are the answers to what appears to be the new common cold. 

I’ve got 3 cruises (Caribbean, Alaska and Holy Land/Greece) through October. I’ll do the damn booster to take the 2 bucket list cruises but I’ll stop cruising after that if boosters are required year after year after year. I’ll have to retire as a brand new Diamond Plus and never get to enjoy the benefits. 

70% is a pretty substantial number. 

If this is about a mask conversation it is nothing more than a placebo to lessen the fear of humans. The best you can get out of it is that someone your talking to won't spit on you accidentally when talking to you. How do I know, because I have to wear a mask at work at all times and this gentleman that I speak to daily at work got Covid and spread it to me. I did all the right things based upon, yea Science, and still got it.

RCL can follow the CDC guidelines to stay in business, and I'm good with that, but to say masks are the panacea for the spread of Covid is like applying a  bandaid on a carotid artery bleed. It still gets around the supposed cure.

We are almost two years into this in American and a lot of the so-called people who say that they are Science act as if it is still March 2020. We've learned a lot since then but to get them to change is like getting a 5 year old to take and bath - it's difficult.

I'll counter the above. Had household family members with Omicron. Applied simple measures like wearing a mask in common areas, washing hands regularly. Guess what? Didn't get it. Simple measures like this work..maybe not 100% of the time but they do help. 

Also, masks don't just stop someone spitting on you, they also prevent you from touching your nose and mouth (which we do more often than we realise) after touching an infected surface.

Anyways, back to cruising. 2 years this week since the ship ban. Life sucks in Australia.

3 hours ago, mattymay said:

I'll counter the above. Had household family members with Omicron. Applied simple measures like wearing a mask in common areas, washing hands regularly. Guess what? Didn't get it. Simple measures like this work..maybe not 100% of the time but they do help. 

Also, masks don't just stop someone spitting on you, they also prevent you from touching your nose and mouth (which we do more often than we realise) after touching an infected surface.

Anyways, back to cruising. 2 years this week since the ship ban. Life sucks in Australia.

I will counter that, My brother-in-law entire family (Wife, 2 daughters & son) got covid just after the holidays.   It started with my nephew, then my brother-in-law, then his wife, then both girls.   they wore masks throughout the ordeal, washed hands and daily house cleaning & laundry. Infected family quarantined away from family members.

They are ok now...all got their tests to show proof for positive results, followed the Canadian guidelines/procedures.

The protocols mostly work, if followed, and will be needed to ensure we can sail. I unfortunately don't think they will be letting up any time soon.

On my last sailing several crew members tested positive. It could have been from the EDM charter the sailing before or from all the guest on the current sailing who didn't follow protocols. I know we are tired of masking and all of this, but we have to do it. 

Not sure this is an appropriate question but going to ask it anyway.  Does anyone feel as though Royal will ever remove the requirement of vaccination?  I know there are several on this blog who have had to forego their love of cruising because of this.  I have members of my family also not vaccinated and it pains me to think they cannot experience this vacation dream due to the current mandate.  I am not asking this to start a debate or political discussion…I just wonder if vaccinations will ever be not required! 

4 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Not sure this is an appropriate question but going to ask it anyway.  Does anyone feel as though Royal will ever remove the requirement of vaccination?  I know there are several on this blog who have had to forego their love of cruising because of this.  I have members of my family also not vaccinated and it pains me to think they cannot experience this vacation dream due to the current mandate.  I am not asking this to start a debate or political discussion…I just wonder if vaccinations will ever be not required! 

What they are doing is working, despite the vocal opposition demonstrated on Facebook and various cruise boards.  However, if I were to base a decision on the boards, there is a very clear majority that want the current protocols or even stronger ones.  However, my guess is that the cruise lines have done actual market research and actually know what they are doing better than any of us do.  If the cruise lines are as inept as many people now consider them to be, I cannot believe that they would trust them enough to cruise with them.  I have come to the conclusion that they know what they are doing, no conspiracy, no political agenda, just a desire to provide the safest cruise with what the majority of people who cruise consider acceptable requirements.  I understand the few that want no vaccines and no masks are very loud and claim to be in the majority, however I think there is ample proof that is not the case.  I think the cruise lines are going to have to be very sure that dropping any part of the current protocols is demonstrably safe, not that someone thinks or believes it's safe, before they will loosen the protocols.  They cannot afford to just try it and see what happens, not to mention that doing that would be incredibly dangerous and irresponsible to passengers, crew and shareholders.  I do not think any of us here, including myself, are smarter than any individual cruise line, much less all of them.

9 hours ago, VACruiser said:

If this is about a mask conversation it is nothing more than a placebo to lessen the fear of humans. The best you can get out of it is that someone your talking to won't spit on you accidentally when talking to you. How do I know, because I have to wear a mask at work at all times and this gentleman that I speak to daily at work got Covid and spread it to me. I did all the right things based upon, yea Science, and still got it.

RCL can follow the CDC guidelines to stay in business, and I'm good with that, but to say masks are the panacea for the spread of Covid is like applying a  bandaid on a carotid artery bleed. It still gets around the supposed cure.

We are almost two years into this in American and a lot of the so-called people who say that they are Science act as if it is still March 2020. We've learned a lot since then but to get them to change is like getting a 5 year old to take and bath - it's difficult.

You and so many other make statements like that as if they are factual.  They are not.  The truth is that there is no valid study on the effects of masks and social distancing in general, much less with COVID.  There are studies, all of which many researchers find significant flaws in their design, results and interpretation.  The blunt truth is we are not sure, and the best evidence at this point shows at least a minimal reduction.  Even without a study, simple common sense tells you that whatever you are exhaling is at worst slowed, dispersed and redirected by a mask.  Blow on your hand without a mask and then with a mask.  You have just proven that the mask dissipates the energy behind any dispersion, and that is an absolute, unarguable fact.  Studies have continued this whole time, and the best and most trusted support masks and vaccines, although there are some that do not.  There is also the idea of being safe rather than sorry.  And yes, it will take very unambiguous and overwhelming data to change what we are doing, because the risk if we are wrong involves loosing hundreds of thousands of more lives.  At this point the data supporting your views has not nearly risen to such a level.  And the entwining of politics makes things even more difficult. 

17 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

What they are doing is working, despite the vocal opposition demonstrated on Facebook and various cruise boards.  However, if I were to base a decision on the boards, there is a very clear majority that want the current protocols or even stronger ones.  However, my guess is that the cruise lines have done actual market research and actually know what they are doing better than any of us do.  If the cruise lines are as inept as many people now consider them to be, I cannot believe that they would trust them enough to cruise with them.  I have come to the conclusion that they know what they are doing, no conspiracy, no political agenda, just a desire to provide the safest cruise with what the majority of people who cruise consider acceptable requirements.  I understand the few that want no vaccines and no masks are very loud and claim to be in the majority, however I think there is ample proof that is not the case.  I think the cruise lines are going to have to be very sure that dropping any part of the current protocols is demonstrably safe, not that someone thinks or believes it's safe, before they will loosen the protocols.  They cannot afford to just try it and see what happens, not to mention that doing that would be incredibly dangerous and irresponsible to passengers, crew and shareholders.  I do not think any of us here, including myself, are smarter than any individual cruise line, much less all of them.

Soory, except, of course, Waaytooo.

13 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I certainly hope so. We have made the decision to not get our children vaccinated and have 18 months before the mandate kicks in for our oldest. I do expect we will be either finding other family vacations or going without the kids for some time, though. 

On 2/1/2022 at 6:36 PM, Jill said:

Latest poll: 70% of Americans are ready to put Covid in the rear view. Double vaxxed and boosted are getting sick too. I don’t think boosters are the answers to what appears to be the new common cold. 

I’ve got 3 cruises (Caribbean, Alaska and Holy Land/Greece) through October. I’ll do the damn booster to take the 2 bucket list cruises but I’ll stop cruising after that if boosters are required year after year after year. I’ll have to retire as a brand new Diamond Plus and never get to enjoy the benefits. 

It is, but I’m pretty sure the same poll also said a majority wanted masks and distancing protocols in their home states. I want to get back to no-protocol cruising, personally, but until that becomes the clearly prevalent mindset, RC is unlikely to change its policies. I expect they would have to see a decline in bookings due to protocols in place, as opposed to the decline they would likely currently see for lifting protocols. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:50 AM, Rene Desmarais said:

I will counter that, My brother-in-law entire family (Wife, 2 daughters & son) got covid just after the holidays.   It started with my nephew, then my brother-in-law, then his wife, then both girls.   they wore masks throughout the ordeal, washed hands and daily house cleaning & laundry. Infected family quarantined away from family members.

They are ok now...all got their tests to show proof for positive results, followed the Canadian guidelines/procedures.

Two weeks ago, one of my son came to hunt with me and stayed in my two bedroom deer camp for three days.  Claimed he had a head cold and tried to assure me he didn't have Covid...Tested positive for Covid on Monday, the day after he left camp...We didn't wear masks or social distance.  I never caught it but I did self isolate for 5 days and tested negative two times.  I am vaccinated and boosted.  They couldn't or didn't tell my son what type of Covid he had...Only he was positive.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:13 AM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

IMHO no

Without turning this into something it doesn't need to be. These requirements may be something that last until forever or at least the next couple of years. The main problem, my opinion, is that if you do anything, you can always support your argument with and without science. We all hear the arguments either way. Whether it is theater or not, having a vaxx requirement works for the cruise lines. Do I wish people like @WAAAYTOOO could cruise? of course. But for every one of her, there are probably 10 who would make it their mission to not behave safely just to be contrary. 

As stated many, many times...

What they are doing right now is working.  Covid trends are on a steady decline and if I were in charge of not only a billion dollar industry (that was shut down for a year) AND in charge of the safety of 100s of 1000s of passengers, I would continue to do what works until the risk assessment (Covid trends) bottom out or become consistently lower than the past few months.

20 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Even without a study, simple common sense tells you that whatever you are exhaling is at worst slowed, dispersed and redirected by a mask.  Blow on your hand without a mask and then with a mask.  You have just proven that the mask dissipates the energy behind any dispersion, and that is an absolute, unarguable fact. 

And the entwining of politics makes things even more difficult. 

Exactly!

Funny, why is no one debating the effects of simply covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing?  It is simple, if coughing or sneezing into your armpit or hands helps curb the spread of germs, then a mask surely does as well.  Meh.  I'd rather mask up and vaccinate to take a cruise than be ordered to stay home for another 6 weeks....(that's a subtle reference to Punxsatawney Phil going back to his hole and extending winter--high brow stuff).

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Two weeks ago, one of my son came to hunt with me and stayed in my two bedroom deer camp for three days.  Claimed he had a head cold and tried to assure me he didn't have Covid...Tested positive for Covid on Monday, the day after he left camp...We didn't wear masks or social distance.  I never caught it but I did self isolate for 5 days and tested negative two times.  I am vaccinated and boosted.  They couldn't or didn't tell my son what type of Covid he had...Only he was positive.

Could be a false Positive?  Which test was used?

On 2/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, Jill said:

Us too sad but true!!

20 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

His doctor used both a Rapid and a PCR...Both were positive.  I'm still trying to figure out how I was not infected.

I know 3 stories like this. One being my daughter. She’s been directly exposed to Covid 3 times (1 time riding in a car for 4 hours, 3 were positive she never got it) and hasn’t gotten it. She’s double vaxxed, no booster. (Original Covid, delta and omicron)

My 90 year old MIL who is NOT vaccinated rode in a car for 5 hours with a relative who tested positive (original Covid) the next day. She didn’t get it. She goes out all the time too! Beauty shop once a week, church twice a week, grocery.

My friend had original Covid. Slept next to her husband every night. He never got it and neither did their daughter. None were vaccinated at that time. No vaccine available yet. 

It does happen. These people need to be studied! Lol 

On 2/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, wordell1 said:

Disappointing. I was hoping for a return to looser mask requirements now that Omicron has peaked in the US.  I'll still go on my March cruise on Liberty but honestly, there are a lot of vacation options that don't require masks.

I agree with you.  We were on the Harmony in Nov.  The mask thing did not make the cruise more pleasant, for sure.  But now they've tightened the requirements.  So we canceled our March cruise and are going to spend that time at the beach in an oceanfront hotel.  It's in SC so no mask requirements.  Hopefully things change before our Dec cruise on Oasis.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:13 AM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Like policy, once standard behavior protocols are in place, they tend to never go away. So, although covid hysteria is fading away, like most other infectious outbreaks; something new will take its place, to keep the "new normal" going....and I'm not talking about another variant.

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Like policy, once standard behavior protocols are in place, they tend to never go away. So, although covid hysteria is fading away, like most other infectious outbreaks; something new will take its place, to keep the "new normal" going....and I'm not talking about another variant.

However, Royal just posted another quarterly loss. They’re still bleeding. At some point they need to fill the ships and I’m not so sure that continued protocols (masking, testing, possible boosters) will allow that. They’re are still a lot of people out there wanting to cruise but the protocols are preventing them. 

I can't think they will WANT to keep all these protocols in place long-term with these types of quarterly earnings - "The company's earnings came in at -$1.36 billion, or -$5.33 per share. This compares with -$1.37 billion, or -$6.09 per share, in last year's fourth quarter." That would be financial suicide.  Once COVID becomes like a seasonal flu or cold they will drop them - they have to as they can't go for too long at those revenue points.

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

So Matt, with your experience and knowing what we know now, do you think by March 20th we'll be in the same spot protocol wise? I know that April 14th was the most recent date provided, but IF the science and numbers in the next month or so improve dramatically, could RC walk that date back a little? Appreciate all you and the MODS do here! Its been very helpful for a first time cruiser.

3 hours ago, Coachkev24 said:

do you think by March 20th we'll be in the same spot protocol wise?

March 20 2022? Absolutely.

I think you're looking at late spring, early summer before protocols significantly change.

Best case scenario is they roll back the strict face mask rules before your cruise.

1 hour ago, Floski said:

I just wish we weren't required to take that dang test.

I don't trust the results, and man, it's so stressful.  

I'm double-vaxxed, so I wish that was enough.

Yes, I am aware that the cruise lines have to do it, but that don't mean I gotta like it.

Yea, the testing process was much more stressful for the cruise we’re currently on than the others we’ve done since the restart.  

12 hours ago, Floski said:

I just wish we weren't required to take that dang test.

I agree with this one.  All protocols I can live with.  This is one so stressful because you pretty much don't know if you are really cruising until two days prior.  For someone like myself who normally looks forward to sailings way in advance, this is a serious buzz kill lol.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I agree with this one.  All protocols I can live with.  This is one so stressful because you pretty much don't know if you are really cruising until two days prior.  For someone like myself who normally looks forward to sailings way in advance, this is a serious buzz kill lol.

Totally agree!  Royal clearly states what the protocols are in advance and provides options to cancel if we are not comfortable with them.  Buzz kill is the perfect way to sum the testing up - plans are made, exciting is building, packing has started and then that testing cloud hovers all around until we take the darn tests.

I will say this cruise is a bit different from my last cruise on symphony only because we now have to keep the mask on whenever indoors.  While it is a hassle it has not diminished my experience while on Anthem and everyone seems to be in compliance.  I feel really bad for the crew because on Anthem they are all double masked with N95s on their nose and then Royal issued cloth masks on top now that is rough but according to the crew Royal made this change to keep the crew safe and working as Omicron cases surged. I’m hearing they may relax that policy for the CREW (double mask) next week if cases continue trending downward.