Food quality all venues on board the same?

Censored

Since Sherwood Food Distributors are the official supplier for Royal , Im wondering if basically all the food is basically the same quality and simply cooked differently.  Certainly this must be the case with the main dining room, and all other free food venues on board?  Is the Filet Mignon the same quality in TMDR  as  CHOPS?    What about Coastal Kitchen?  Ive asked chefs on board , and many claim that the best food is in fact in the Coastal Kitchen., all cooked to order fresh.  Johny Rockets must bring in their own ground beef for burgers  which many have found to be flavourless. ,   The burgers available throughout  the ship definitely need a improvement  IMO.    

A distributor is not the same as a farmer or grower. The quality of the ingredients will vary from port to port because of sourcing. That being said, i'm sure the quality requirements for speciality/CK are higher than for MDR. MDR also does mass prep for apps/entrees, versus specialty/CK which is cook-to-order. 

@Ampurp85just did a B2B2B cruise on three different ships, and spoke about the quality differences amongst all three: 

I used to always believe that the cruise food that was complementary was enough. It really isn't once you have started cruising more often. The MDR menus were the same across the entire fleet. Literally night 1 was the same on Indy, on Harmony and on Mariner. The only difference was they might taste different. But the different taste was also prevalent across the specialty restaurants. My tempura shrimp and chicken kaarage was much greasier and smaller from the Izumi on Mariner. I couldn't just chalk it up to star class either as they looked different. The same with Jamie's on Mariner.

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

Is the Filet Mignon the same quality in TMDR  as  CHOPS?

MDR's fillet is from the Chops menu, so they're identical. I'm not sure of the CK fillet is the same as the Chops fillet.

2 hours ago, Mark_A said:

Food distributers can have different qualities of food destined for the same location, IE prime vs choice meats, organic vs regular for veggies and such.  so I don't think just because it is all one distributor means all the food is the same quality.....

Exactly this...

Chops states they use prime beef on their menu. Jamie's mentions White Oak Pastures farms as source for their chicken. 150 Central Park states they use organic products. Room service states their burger is Prime Wagyu beef. Johnny Rockets states their burgers are made from fresh, never frozen, beef.

Without playing the "prove it" card and requesting product packaging it'll be hard to verify statements. 

In the past during the one of the various galley tours and All Access tours I've seen burger patties being made. When someone asked about it they were told they were being made for the dining room for lunch. Then it was also mentioned that Johnny Rockets had their's made fresh as well, just a smaller patty. During another All Access tour (2016) I saw them loading for distribution onion rings and fries that were branded for Johnny Rockets.

51 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Without playing the "prove it" card and requesting product packaging it'll be hard to verify statements. 

While this statement rings very true, you have to look at the flip side.

I try and give everyone deference.  RCCL, Johnny Rockets, etc. are big companies.  Food Fraud and Misrepresentation is a billion dollar litigation industry. Would such companies risk hundreds of millions in lawsuits for short term profits?  LOL Indeed many do, but many do not.

Although I was a chef for many years and consider my palate to be refined, there are times when I cannot tell the difference between choice and prime cuts of meat.  Why? Because even choice cows may have that one loin strip that was very well marbled, tender, and meaty.  These designations like farm-raised, organic, prime, do not ensure nor guaranty excellence.  There can always be a bad apple in any bunch.

7 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

While this statement rings very true, you have to look at the flip side.

I try and give everyone deference.  RCCL, Johnny Rockets, etc. are big companies.  Food Fraud and Misrepresentation is a billion dollar litigation industry. Would such companies risk hundreds of millions in lawsuits for short term profits?  LOL Indeed many do, but many do not.

Although I was a chef for many years and consider my palate to be refined, there are times when I cannot tell the difference between choice and prime cuts of meat.  Why? Because even choice cows may have that one loin strip that was very well marbled, tender, and meaty.  These designations like farm-raised, organic, prime, do not ensure nor guaranty excellence.  There can always be a bad apple in any bunch.

I think with Prime or Wagyu, you are pretty much guaranteed a tasty cut of beef.  Food fraud has been happening for years until caught. The savings and risk is worth it to the big companies, because they know it would take a lot of investigative digging to prove anything.  Its all about profits, and RCI is in it for profits.  But back to the premium restaurants... for Matt to say( all due respect) that Hibachi Izumi is the best dining venue on Royal proves that he has no refined or discerning palate.   All proteins on those tables are fried in oil with added soy sauce.  Oh, but it fresh and hot! lol   

4 hours ago, Pooch said:

Guess I’m one of the lucky ones, no discerning palate.  I can always find something I like and if I don’t like what I’ve ordered, they bring me something else!  Not looking for Michelin stars.

We're with you. We know what we like and don't like. And while I'm more adventurous in trying something different, my wife not so much, no matter who tells her how good it is or how much different/better it tastes than anywhere else.

13 hours ago, Edmund said:

for Matt to say( all due respect) that Hibachi Izumi is the best dining venue on Royal proves that he has no refined or discerning palate.

Just because he's stating it's his favorite specialty dining doesn't mean that he feels that it's the absolute best food on any Royal Caribbean ship. Hibachi is about the overall experience and it's been a consistently good experience for him. He makes no secret of the fact that he actually enjoys dining in the MDR, and probably more than the specialty restaurants. It's the experience for him and also he knows the items on the MDR menu that are his consistent go-tos. He also enjoys the Indian food options, which many people shy away from because they aren't familiar with those flavor profiles. Everyone has different tastes, palates and what they consider a good dining experience.

1. Isn't Matt the person who runs this site?  He gets due deference from me.  He is more than entitled to tout his own opinion on his own platform. LOL

2. A cruise is a cruise...not a restaurant.  Cruises have a variety of food outlets for its cruisers.  RCCL is indeed a for profit business, but I give them deference in that they want business and one time-tested method of good business, and repeat business, is to offer quality goods and services.  If anyone wants authentic and trustworthy Italian, go to Italy.  If someone wants pristine cuts of sushi, go to Japan. 

3. One of the rules on these forums is "no personal attacks."  Stating that someone does not have a discernable palate because of differing opinion walks the line of making things personal.

4. The OP was with regards to food quality across the board.  My estimate is that over 35% of a cruise ship's staff are kitchen personnel.  There are several sous chefs and an executive chef.  Several galleys.  Most ships dedicate at least 1, if not 2, decks for food storage/preparation/inspection, etc.  The consistency and quality are going to be as good as the kitchen staff can make it.  Serving the same filet at both the MDR and Chops doesn't necessarily equate to a bad thing.  Even if there is a price debate on why pay for a premium restaurant if you can get the same steak at the MDR, the simple answer is because you can get the steak at any time at the specialty place as opposed to waiting for formal night.  Aside from that, the specialty restaurants have extensive menus that are unique only to that venue.

1 hour ago, teddy said:

Anything I eat on a cruise ship is great to me. 

This is the attitude that I take when cruising!

Anyone who sets up high expectations based upon fantasy is bound to be disappointed.  

Look at it this way, my family is paying $1,200 per person to take a 7 night cruise (tax, tips, included in the average).

A 7 night stay at Motel 6 in Alaska would cost us about $300 per person.

McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner would cost us about $230 per person for 7 days.

Transportation amongst Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka would likely cost us $150 (cheapest car and gas) per person.

Activities would cost us about $300 per person.

So....in the end, if we did the cheapest possible Alaskan trip and paid for the cheapest amenities and food, we would likely pay more than what we are paying for the cruise.  It is all relative.  

None of the food I ate tasted consistent across my three sailings, nor across the restaurants. The food quality could be the same and each chef can elevate the quality based on their cooking technique. They could also be ruining the food based on their technique.

I joined a group on one of my sailings that said they do a lot of hibachis and the way the chef cooked the steak was the best they ever tasted. 

Everyone will have a different take. Matt loving the spaghetti Bolognese and Hibachi is all him. Doesn't make his palate good or bad, more discerning or less. IMHO cruise ship food is what it is.......some specialty restaurants don't taste better that the buffet or MDR.

7 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

1. Isn't Matt the person who runs this site?  He gets due deference from me.  He is more than entitled to tout his own opinion on his own platform. LOL

2. A cruise is a cruise...not a restaurant.  Cruises have a variety of food outlets for its cruisers.  RCCL is indeed a for profit business, but I give them deference in that they want business and one time-tested method of good business, and repeat business, is to offer quality goods and services.  If anyone wants authentic and trustworthy Italian, go to Italy.  If someone wants pristine cuts of sushi, go to Japan. 

3. One of the rules on these forums is "no personal attacks."  Stating that someone does not have a discernable palate because of differing opinion walks the line of making things personal.

4. The OP was with regards to food quality across the board.  My estimate is that over 35% of a cruise ship's staff are kitchen personnel.  There are several sous chefs and an executive chef.  Several galleys.  Most ships dedicate at least 1, if not 2, decks for food storage/preparation/inspection, etc.  The consistency and quality are going to be as good as the kitchen staff can make it.  Serving the same filet at both the MDR and Chops doesn't necessarily equate to a bad thing.  Even if there is a price debate on why pay for a premium restaurant if you can get the same steak at the MDR, the simple answer is because you can get the steak at any time at the specialty place as opposed to waiting for formal night.  Aside from that, the specialty restaurants have extensive menus that are unique only to that venue.

A person with a discerning palate may be able to discern flavors that others cannot. This ability is often associated with wisdom and experience. Being discerning also often involves making a judgment, especially about things that aren't obvious. Japanese cooking tables in general are bland and boring period.  Many would agree. Yes the experience of the entertainment aspect might tickle your fancy. But once is enough for me.  No disrespect to Matt,( I repeat) but he has been asked numerous times about "best" places to dine, or his "favourite" place to dine.   To each his own. 

7 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Just because he's stating it's his favorite specialty dining doesn't mean that he feels that it's the absolute best food on any Royal Caribbean ship. Hibachi is about the overall experience and it's been a consistently good experience for him. He makes no secret of the fact that he actually enjoys dining in the MDR, and probably more than the specialty restaurants. It's the experience for him and also he knows the items on the MDR menu that are his consistent go-tos. He also enjoys the Indian food options, which many people shy away from because they aren't familiar with those flavor profiles. Everyone has different tastes, palates and what they consider a good dining experience.

Hibachi Izumi has been "recommended"  along with being a favourite.  Numerous times.    

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

None of the food I ate tasted consistent across my three sailings, nor across the restaurants. The food quality could be the same and each chef can elevate the quality based on their cooking technique. They could also be ruining the food based on their technique.

I joined a group on one of my sailings that said they do a lot of hibachis and the way the chef cooked the steak was the best they ever tasted. 

Everyone will have a different take. Matt loving the spaghetti Bolognese and Hibachi is all him. Doesn't make his palate good or bad, more discerning or less. IMHO cruise ship food is what it is.......some specialty restaurants don't taste better that the buffet or MDR.

Yes I would agree that anybody loving any kind of cuisine is "all theirs" as you put it.  I would simply be careful to recommend something as "the best"  if asked.   

6 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

This is the attitude that I take when cruising!

Anyone who sets up high expectations based upon fantasy is bound to be disappointed.  

Look at it this way, my family is paying $1,200 per person to take a 7 night cruise (tax, tips, included in the average).

A 7 night stay at Motel 6 in Alaska would cost us about $300 per person.

McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner would cost us about $230 per person for 7 days.

Transportation amongst Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka would likely cost us $150 (cheapest car and gas) per person.

Activities would cost us about $300 per person.

So....in the end, if we did the cheapest possible Alaskan trip and paid for the cheapest amenities and food, we would likely pay more than what we are paying for the cruise.  It is all relative.  

This analogy makes no sense. You can book an all inclusive trip to Cuba/Dominican and stuff your face for $600 PP at some resorts.  Flight hotel ,booze included. So what?  Its very obvious to me that many people book a cruise primarily for the food experience . I have never seen so many morbidly obese people in one venue in my life other than the buffet on a cruise ship.  So I think food quality is a high expectation on a cruise ship. No fantasy. McDonald $230?? lol....  Take into account flight costs, taxis, etc,,, I'm sure that overall cost to Alaska was more than you post.      I think for most, the Alaska priority excitement is the sites., a destination.  Lots of cruises are  just sunny sea days around the Caribbean, and a lot of people these days don't even leave the ship.  (Im on of them)   I enjoy the ship, most of the food, and I gamble a lot. Lost interest in the ports and straw markets and jewellery shopping, etc a long time ago. To each his own.  

16 hours ago, Edmund said:

This analogy makes no sense. You can book an all inclusive trip to Cuba/Dominican and stuff your face for $600 PP at some resorts.   

I'm sorry that you misunderstood the analogy.  However, your example makes no sense.  Apples to Oranges.  Price out an ALASKAN cruise for a family of four for 7 nights and price out an ALASKAN trip for the same parameters.  

I used the cheapest food, lodging etc., to make the point that a cruise is much more bang for your buck and therefore more advantageous to your state of mind on vacation being satisfied with the goods and services rather than being super nitpicky.

23 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I'm sorry that you misunderstood the analogy.  However, your example makes no sense.  Apples to Oranges.  Price out an ALASKAN cruise for a family of four for 7 nights and price out an ALASKAN trip for the same parameters.  

I used the cheapest food, lodging etc., to make the point that a cruise is much more bang for your buck and therefore more advantageous to your state of mind on vacation being satisfied with the goods and services rather than being super nitpicky.

the post was about food quality and consistency on board.  You chose an Alaskan cruise that im sure you have to factor in flights etc. Then compared that to a motel 6.  Fine.  Dont forget to add beverage packages , excursions, etc.    With regards to best bang for your buck.... or "all inclusive buck"   some land holidays simply cant be beat.  Azul/ Sandals/ Beaches/  Jamaica, Mexico, Barbados.  If you shop well, and wait for sales, you can easily get one of these properties for $1200-1500.   Gourmet food, premium drink, hotel, flight, transfers.  all in.     Not the same as in a cruise I know.  But they do have nightly entertainment, some activities, and kids programs. 

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

the post was about food quality and consistency on board.  You chose an Alaskan cruise that im sure you have to factor in flights etc. Then compared that to a motel 6.  Fine.  Dont forget to add beverage packages , excursions, etc.    With regards to best bang for your buck.... or "all inclusive buck"   some land holidays simply cant be beat.  Azul/ Sandals/ Beaches/  Jamaica, Mexico, Barbados.  If you shop well, and wait for sales, you can easily get one of these properties for $1200-1500.   Gourmet food, premium drink, hotel, flight, transfers.  all in.     Not the same as in a cruise I know.  But they do have nightly entertainment, some activities, and kids programs. 

Correct.  My original response was intended to mean that expectations of food quality and consistency should be tempered relative to the money spent for the entire experience.  

Your original reply to my comment was "[t]his analogy makes no sense."  Then you went on to use all inclusive trips to Cuba to make your point whereas I was using Alaska.

Anyways, I do not discount your comments and in fact, they made me think and look at different perspectives.  For that, thank you!

But regarding your reply that my analogy did not make sense, I hope that I clarified things a tad bit.

13 hours ago, Floski said:

So, if I'm in a Balcony (only Platinum until after our March cruise, if that matters), we can't eat at CK?

I believe I may want to be insulted. 

ETA:  I applied to be a junior member of The Suite Snob Mob but my application was denied.  😞

Only for suite guest.  Junior suite dinner only

Cant comment on best grub as im Scottish and we just deep fry everything! Pizza! Ice cream! Macoroni Pies! Even mars bars! So our palate is all messed up with the deep fried food, buckfast wine and years of smoking 20 woodbine a day..but life could be worse! Our ancestors could have jumped on a ship years back and headed west lol