LA Hotel recomendations

I have stayed in downtown Long Beach twice now (on Navigator as I type this).  There is a Westin, Renaissance & Courtyard all basically around the corner from each other.  I'm a Marriott guy but there are others also.  downtown Long Beach has its problems like any other city, but it's a block from the beach where you can walk or bike on the paved path all the way down to Belmont Pier & beyond.  plenty of places to eat and get libations.  the residential areas in Belmont Shores are lovely and sprinkled with mom-and-pop accommodations if you don't want to stay downtown. 

You can't beat the ease of getting in and out of the Long Beach Airport compared to LAX, but its only served by a few airlines, the largest being Southwest.  There's also Delta to SLC and American to PHX/DFW.  I think Hawaiian flies there now also.

full disclosure:  I despise Uber, and I'm kind of a public transport nerd, so this might not be for everyone, but-

There's a public bus operated by Long Beach Transit (LBT) from LGB Airport to downtown that cost $1.25.  the Uber was $39.  The next day I took another bus from downtown to San Pedro (drops off by the Crowne Plaza) and it's about a half mile walk to the pier.   again, $1.25.  

@bazingau, after the last cruise, we flew back home from LAX, and the Uber from the Port to LAX airport was $65 and that was in light traffic.  😒  

On 1/31/2022 at 1:57 PM, Vancity Cruiser said:

Anyone have pre cruise hotel recomendations for LA?

That depends on what you want to do as stated above. If you are staying a few days prior and want to beach it, then there are three great and safe beach cities in between LAX and San Pedro: Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach, where I live. There are nice big beaches, lots of bars and restaurants in Hermosa and Manhattan. There are several hotels right on the Strand (a paved boardwalk on the beach for bikers and pedestrians). It takes about 20/25 min (without traffic) to get to the port from Hermosa.

4 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

That depends on what you want to do as stated above. If you are staying a few days prior and want to beach it, then there are three great and safe beach cities in between LAX and San Pedro: Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach, where I live. There are nice big beaches, lots of bars and restaurants in Hermosa and Manhattan. There are several hotels right on the Strand (a paved boardwalk on the beach for bikers and pedestrians). It takes about 20/25 min (without traffic) to get to the port from Hermosa.

Just staying 1 night so. Can use 1 test to fly from Vancouver and board. Looking for something with a nice pool and some good restaurants within walking distance

If anyone can advise if there is testing at the cruise ship pier upon disembarkation, I would appreciate it.   We will need Rapid PCR tests in order to return to Canada.  The airline changed our flights from late afternoon to noon so not enough time to get testing at the airport in time to board our flight.  We opted to change to a much later flight so that we will have time to be tested but ideally don't want to be stuck at the airport all day so if there is anywhere in an around the port or perhaps Long Beach, we could test and then enjoy the area for the day and then head to the airport.  

2 hours ago, recogneyes said:

If anyone can advise if there is testing at the cruise ship pier upon disembarkation, I would appreciate it.   We will need Rapid PCR tests in order to return to Canada.  The airline changed our flights from late afternoon to noon so not enough time to get testing at the airport in time to board our flight.  We opted to change to a much later flight so that we will have time to be tested but ideally don't want to be stuck at the airport all day so if there is anywhere in an around the port or perhaps Long Beach, we could test and then enjoy the area for the day and then head to the airport.  

In October/November 2021 there was a tent set up where you could get the PCR test. My husband needed it to fly later that day into Canada. It took about 30 minutes. This was when we sailed on Princess though.  I am not sure what is currently there. 

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

In October/November 2021 there was a tent set up where you could get the PCR test. My husband needed it to fly later that day into Canada. It took about 30 minutes. This was when we sailed on Princess though.  I am not sure what is currently there. 

Ok thank you - perhaps that set up has continued.  That would be terrific!!

• 2 weeks later...