Ravenna to Venice

baltodave

(I originally posted this in the Excursion board but it may not have been the correct place)

We are taking Rhapsody OTS (7/25/02 - 8/01/02) from Athens to Ravenna and are looking for suggestions on traveling from Ravenna to Venice when the ship arrives on 8/1.  There will be 3 of us (me, my wife, and her adult daughter).  We are staying in a hotel near the Venice airport and flying out of there Tuesday 8/2 at about 1pm.  We'd love to get to Venice around lunchtime and get a quick tour.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

Hi - We are doing the reverse.  We are going from Venice to Ravenna.  I found private transportation via car/limo/etc. the easiest, while it may not be the most economical.  Try www.mydaytrip.com for some of the more reasonable prices.  A more luxury ride can be found at https://www.joebananalimos.net/ .  We used them in 2019 for sightseeing day trips from ports of call.  They were fantastic, but they are a pretty penny.

If you are trying to be very cost conscious, then there are busses and trains that can also get you to/from Ravenna and Venice.  While the cost is great, you would need to get to the train or bus stations.

You could also arrange a transfer with RCL and go to the airport.  From the airport, you can get to your hotel.

My two cents:

• It's all walking. You may get lost, and that's okay (almost expected). Know where the major landmarks are on the map (Rialto Bridge, Saint Mark's Square, the train station), and use a convenient one as a landmark to return to. Many of the major walking intersections have those names with arrows painted about 15 feet up. If you do get lost, just follow the arrows, or ask
  • For the little time you have, St Mark's Square is avoidable. Don't go out of your way to see it, but if you pass it, that's fine too. 
  • The Rialto Bridge is pretty cool, along with the Rialto Market, though I think it's pretty much packed up around lunch time. 
  • Around late afternoon (4pm), all of the small bars start serving "cicchetti", which is basically small bites, tapas-style. All of the food is super fresh and very delicious. It's popular to grab a bite or two and a glass of wine at one osteria, then bounce around for an hour or so before dinner. 
    • Some great places (in the area of Rialto, on the San Polo side): Bar All'Arco, Cantina Do Mori, Al Mercà
  • Don't go to a restaurant with a tourist menu. It's a trap: bad food, worse prices. 
  • Conversely, find a restaurant with a smaller menu, or something written in chalk, or with very little English. Bonus points if it's further away from Rialto/St Mark's Square.
  • Santa Croce and Cannaregio neighborhoods were downright delightful and quiet to walk through. 
  • You probably don't have enough time for Murano or Lido. 

9 hours ago, Funeegal said:

You could also arrange a transfer with RCL and go to the airport.  From the airport, you can get to your hotel.

I’m booked with Celebrity Air for my Europe cruise, same rules as Air2Sea

if your flights are not the same day as disembarkation they won’t allow to book their shuttle.   If you are not booked with them you can call Air2Sea and give a flight # of some flight that leaves that day and get the shuttle booked.  In my case my flight is on a Wednesday (booked with Celebrity) after getting off the ship on Monday.  I’m going to see if I can find a flight out of Venice “for the day”  returning the next and then be able to call Flights by celebrity to book the shuttle…..or just suck it up and find another way 😩😂

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Alfonso Rey said:

We are arriving in ravena port july 4 and goin to venice train station is there a good way to do it thanks Alfonso and Kelie

Ill be doing the same thing next month. It seems like the taxi ride from port to the train station is 15-20 minutes. Then the Treinitalia trains run at least one an hour. The fares are quite reasonable ranging from 80-150 Euros for a party of six. You'll have to switch trains at either Bologna or Ferrara then straight to San Lucia station in Venice. From San Lucia it is about a 20-30 minute walk to Rialto bridge. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you’re trying to go from VCE (Venice Airport) to the Ravenna port, try this:

*Book a one-way rental using Hertz, Avis, or Bugdet. The drive from VCE to one of the aforementioned rental car agencies is about 2 hours. Must drop off at Ravenna on a day other than Sunday, because all three rental companies are closed on Sundays in Ravenna. (So, if your cruise departs on Sunday, drop your car off on Saturday, and plan on staying the night in Ravenna).

*Even with the one-way car rental drop off fee - renting a car and driving to Ravenna is still cheaper than many options listed in this blog. And if you’re a savvy traveler, visit Flyertalk.com, and look for discount corporate codes that eliminate one-way fees to make your one-way rental from VCE to Ravenna even cheaper!

*Returning to VCE from Ravenna is a little trickier, as you’d have to stay in Ravenna an entire day upon your return on Sunday to rent a car on Monday.

9 hours ago, Plizatinum said:

If you’re trying to go from VCE (Venice Airport) to the Ravenna port, try this:

*Book a one-way rental using Hertz, Avis, or Bugdet. The drive from VCE to one of the aforementioned rental car agencies is about 2 hours. Must drop off at Ravenna on a day other than Sunday, because all three rental companies are closed on Sundays in Ravenna. (So, if your cruise departs on Sunday, drop your car off on Saturday, and plan on staying the night in Ravenna).

*Even with the one-way car rental drop off fee - renting a car and driving to Ravenna is still cheaper than many options listed in this blog. And if you’re a savvy traveler, visit Flyertalk.com, and look for discount corporate codes that eliminate one-way fees to make your one-way rental from VCE to Ravenna even cheaper!

*Returning to VCE from Ravenna is a little trickier, as you’d have to stay in Ravenna an entire day upon your return on Sunday to rent a car on Monday.

Actually, our cruise ends in Ravenna and I've already booked a ride with MyDayTrip (a mini-van) to go from Ravenna to Venice.  Our flight home leaves the next day from Venice.  We (3 adults) are hoping to meet a couple on the cruise who would want to split the ride with us.  If anyone is interested we are on Rhapsody July 25 - August 1 and  our ride is after we get off the ship in Ravenna on August 1. 

• 1 month later...

July 4th 2022 cruise on Rhapsody - we just booked this cruise a couple of days ago the whole “3 hour transport, not actually porting in Venice” just came a huge shock to us because the RC sales agent did not mention this at all when we were booking. Trying to scramble to figure out the best way to transport from the Marco Polo airport July 4th with 3 kids. 

3 hours ago, Reba12 said:

July 4th 2022 cruise on Rhapsody - we just booked this cruise a couple of days ago the whole “3 hour transport, not actually porting in Venice” just came a huge shock to us because the RC sales agent did not mention this at all when we were booking. Trying to scramble to figure out the best way to transport from the Marco Polo airport July 4th with 3 kids. 

Look in your cruise planner, there might be a transfer you can purchase.  If you booked through air2sea they might have a transfer, even if you didn’t book through them maybe call them and see.  

We are going on a cruise to Greece from Jul 3rd to 10th and just discovered we needed transport to Ravenna! Not sure how we missed it but anyway...was in a bit of a panic and started looking on-line and considered booking private service. I actually found several of them were full and got even more panicked. I was discounting RCCL shuttle as an option based on us already being in Venice 2 days prior to sailing and I read some (mis)information that I couldn't get transfers through RCCL unless we fly in on the same day.

I called RCCL customer service and was connected to someone in minutes. She was most helpful and booked us four tix on the round trip RCCL shuttle leaving from Venice City Center (much more convenient than the airport) to Ravenna and round trip was $116 US per person. Solved our problem quickly and easily and without the fear of working with an unknown third party service in Venice as I have read horror story reviews about a few of the companies.

Ready to cruise!

So we are flying into Venice but flying out of Bologna. Our TA could book the shuttle from Venice to Ravenna, but not from Ravenna to Bologna. RC told her that we would have to book that on board. They could only book round trip shuttles to and from the same destination in advance. Huh? 🤷‍♂️

Happy Cruising!

Our cruise is a little different.  We are taking Rhapsody from Athens to Ravenna and are flying home out of Venice the day after the cruise arrives in Ravenna.  So, we needed a ride from Ravenna to Venice and I booked it with MyDayTrip.com.   It's on August 1, 2022 so if anyone is on Rhapsody (7/25 - 8/1) and wants a ride to Venice, let me know.  We (3 adults) have a van booked so there is room for another couple.

12 minutes ago, FManke said:

Before we got our arrangements worked out, I looked at mydaytrip.com. They seemed to be the most reasonable, still not cheap, but.

Agreed. We originally booked a "MPV" van.  But recently got an email from them that a regular minivan (seats 7) would be the same cost so we were "upgraded".  I'm hoping to meet another couple on the trip that will take the van with us and share the cost.

10 hours ago, Susan July 4th 2022 said:

Hi, I'm also looking for people to share the cost of transport from Raveena Port to Venice on July 4th.  We are a family of 4.

That's just the reverse of what I'm doing.  We are traveling from Revenna to Venice on August 1st.  We (3 of us)  used MyDayTrip and booked a van.  It may not be least expensive but it seems convenient.  Good luck find another couple or family to ride with.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:09 PM, baltodave said:

Our cruise is a little different.  We are taking Rhapsody from Athens to Ravenna and are flying home out of Venice the day after the cruise arrives in Ravenna.  So, we needed a ride from Ravenna to Venice and I booked it with MyDayTrip.com.   It's on August 1, 2022 so if anyone is on Rhapsody (7/25 - 8/1) and wants a ride to Venice, let me know.  We (3 adults) have a van booked so there is room for another couple.

Hi we're trying to work out how to get from Ravenna to venice after our cruise finishes on 1st August we are a family of 4 adults and struggling to find a reasonable reliable company to take us to venice as we're staying over a night,  has anyone got any advice please 😊

5 hours ago, Vixx said:

Hi we're trying to work out how to get from Ravenna to venice after our cruise finishes on 1st August we are a family of 4 adults and struggling to find a reasonable reliable company to take us to venice as we're staying over a night,  has anyone got any advice please 😊

It sounds like we're on the same cruise (Rhapsody ending in Ravenna on August 1st).  We are staying in a hotel near the Venice airport and flying out the next morning.  We (3 adults) reserved a van with MyDayTrip.  I will find out if we can fit 4 more adults.  

If you have internet on the ship, my email is the same username as here (BaltoDave) At Gmail.

...Dave

2 hours ago, baltodave said:

It sounds like we're on the same cruise (Rhapsody ending in Ravenna on August 1st).  We are staying in a hotel near the Venice airport and flying out the next morning.  We (3 adults) reserved a van with MyDayTrip.  I will find out if we can fit 4 more adults.  

If you have internet on the ship, my email is the same username as here (BaltoDave) At Gmail.

...Dave

Hi dave

Thanks for getting in touch,  its very kind of you. r u sure you will be able to get all 7 people in with cases? Also r u going straight to venice  or you going sight seeing? what would the cost be too, sorry for all the questions 😊 many thanks Victoria 

3 hours ago, Vixx said:

Hi dave

Thanks for getting in touch,  its very kind of you. r u sure you will be able to get all 7 people in with cases? Also r u going straight to venice  or you going sight seeing? what would the cost be too, sorry for all the questions 😊 many thanks Victoria 

Hi Victoria,

We are taking the van to the Parkhotel Annia which is near the Venice Airport.  I'm sure the driver would make another stop where you are staying.

I have not heard back from my contact at MyDayTrip to see if there will be room.

If there is room, I already paid 326 Euros which was charged to my credit card as $353.91 USD which would work out to $50.56 per person if we can get 7 in the van. I guess the best way to handle it would be use Paypal, Zelle or Venmo to me.  That being said, that does not include the tip for the driver.

Our stateroom on the ship is 4522 but that could change since I have a pending RoyalUp bid.  The best way to reach me would be via email which is my RCB username (Baltodave) at gmail dot com.  

As soon as I hear back from MyDayTrip, I'll post it  here.

..Dave

Hello! We are a young couple doing the same cruise on Rhapsody starting July 25th. We have booked a hotel in Venice and will be staying for one night before returning home. Our hotel is located just opposite St. Lucia station, as our plan was taking the train from Ravenna. However, if anyone is willing to share a ride for a reasonable price, we’d be interested!

4 hours ago, Clara said:

Hello! We are a young couple doing the same cruise on Rhapsody starting July 25th. We have booked a hotel in Venice and will be staying for one night before returning home. Our hotel is located just opposite St. Lucia station, as our plan was taking the train from Ravenna. However, if anyone is willing to share a ride for a reasonable price, we’d be interested!

HI Clara,

We are also flying out of Venice on August 2nd.  We (3 adults) have already booked a van with MyDayTrip that holds 7 people.   We are staying in HotelPark Annia which I believe is near the Venice airport.  I'd love to share the van with you.  We already paid 326 Euros which was charged to my credit card as $353.91 USD which would work out to $70.78 USD per person (based on 5 people) plus any tip.  If you are interested in riding with us, email me directly using my RCB username (Baltodave) at gmail dot com.   Also, we have Voom internet on the ship so you can email there as well (but I'd rather have this arranged ahead of time). 

Few more things, just to give you an idea:  The 3 of us are my wife and I (early 60s) and her daughter (early 30s).  We are supposed to meet the driver at 9am so that should put us in Venice by around lunch time. 

Hope to hear from you!

4 hours ago, baltodave said:

HI Clara,

We are also flying out of Venice on August 2nd.  We (3 adults) have already booked a van with MyDayTrip that holds 7 people.   We are staying in HotelPark Annia which I believe is near the Venice airport.  I'd love to share the van with you.  We already paid 326 Euros which was charged to my credit card as $353.91 USD which would work out to $70.78 USD per person (based on 5 people) plus any tip.  If you are interested in riding with us, email me directly using my RCB username (Baltodave) at gmail dot com.   Also, we have Voom internet on the ship so you can email there as well (but I'd rather have this arranged ahead of time). 

Few more things, just to give you an idea:  The 3 of us are my wife and I (early 60s) and her daughter (early 30s).  We are supposed to meet the driver at 9am so that should put us in Venice by around lunch time. 

Hope to hear from you!

Hi dave 

I'm sorry you think it won't be possible to fit us all in now. Thank you for letting me know.

If there is anyone else on here that us available to share a ride please get in touch.

Victoria 

4 hours ago, Vixx said:

Hi our transfer has been cancelled yet again,do to lack of availability,  so if anyone has any suggestions of companies to try please can you let me know.

Thanks 

Hi Victoria,

Did you try MyDayTrip?  That's where I booked ours.  

..Dave

20 hours ago, Jacko1958 said:

We are booked on brilliance of the seas departing 10 July 2022. We arriving at Venice airport at 10.30am and need transfers to Ravenna port. Is there anyone willing to share a ride as it’s very expensive for just two. Thanks. 

Yes, it is a bit pricey.  We are doing the opposite - arriving Ravenna on 1-Aug and booked a ride from Ravenna to Venice using MyDayTrip.  I'm hoping to meet a couple on our cruise to share the cost. 

Maybe, there's a meet-n-great message board for your cruise and you can see if anyone on your cruise also needs a ride.

Has anyone disembarked in Ravenna lately?  We have a cruise in a couple of weeks and just discovered this Ravenna issue.  Our flight is at 11:20 in Venice!  So trying to figure out if we're actually going to make it.

Need to know what time people are actually off the boat - how early did you get to a taxi or ride?

thank you

2 hours ago, chumitz said:

Has anyone disembarked in Ravenna lately?  We have a cruise in a couple of weeks and just discovered this Ravenna issue.  Our flight is at 11:20 in Venice!  So trying to figure out if we're actually going to make it.

Need to know what time people are actually off the boat - how early did you get to a taxi or ride?

thank you

First, I have not disembarked in Ravenna before.  In fact, it sounds like we might be on the same cruise.  (leaves Athens 25-Jul; finishes Ravenna 1-Aug).  Anyway, it's our understanding that Venice is a 2.5 hour drive from Ravenna.  If you have an 11:20 flight out, I don't see how you could make it.  I figure you'd need to be at the airport by 9:50 (90 minutes before your flight). That would mean leaving Ravenna by 7:20 and that assumes no traffic issues.   According to the schedule, we arrive in Ravenna at 7:00.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you need to change your flight to something later or the next day (which is what we are doing).  I know of some folks flying out of Bologna which is closer to Ravenna. But I wouldn't even try that unless you get an afternoon flight. 

4 hours ago, chumitz said:

thank you

It might Not be an option at this point, being it's only a couple of weeks away, but have you considered flying out of Bologna? It's only about 1.5 hrs from Ravenna.

Happy Cruising?

• 1 year later...

The best and easy way to get to Venice or Bologna after the cruise is by booking the Royal Caribbean shuttle. Departures from the ship begin around 8 am. Here is a tip. The only way you can book the shuttle is if you are flying out the same day. If you are planning on staying in Venice or Bologna a few days afterwards you MUST inform Royal you are flying out on the same day. The shuttle will take you to those airports. From there to can take a taxi to your hotel. To book just call Royal. Have a flight number for the same day ready to give them even though your flight is a few days later. 

On 12/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, tamarabash said:

does anyone know what time the earliest RC bus leaves from Ravenna to macro polo Venice airport? Ive heard several different times and I am panicking!

There are different times so you need to call air to sea to get your preferred times. It should also be on your travel documents your TA has.

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2023 at 10:03 PM, RoyalGreek said:

The best and easy way to get to Venice or Bologna after the cruise is by booking the Royal Caribbean shuttle. Departures from the ship begin around 8 am. Here is a tip. The only way you can book the shuttle is if you are flying out the same day. If you are planning on staying in Venice or Bologna a few days afterwards you MUST inform Royal you are flying out on the same day. The shuttle will take you to those airports. From there to can take a taxi to your hotel. To book just call Royal. Have a flight number for the same day ready to give them even though your flight is a few days later. 

Thanks for this information. Just booked a cruise that ends in Ravenna but we will be staying in Venice for a few extra days.